“Decent hotel with comfy beds”

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, WV
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here while working in the area. It is located close to several places to eat within walking distance. The rooms were clean and beds were comfy. The rooms are average hotel rooms, nothing fancy but well maintained. I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area looking for a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, WV, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We do have all new pillow-top beds and all new rooms. I'm glad we were able to provide you with a comfortable room to stay in while away from home. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to the highway with easy on and off which was for me since Charleston wasn't my final destination. I was a little concerned because I've not had good luck with Red Roof Inns in the past but it was late at night and I needed to sleep. It was a good choice. Rooms have exterior doors in case that bothers you. The billboard on the highway said "all new rooms," and mine was very nice; quite an upgrade from my previous experiences with this chain. It had a boutique hotel feel to it and included a refrigerator and microwave which was a bonus. Bed was very comfortable with upgraded linens.

Not sure why others are giving the hotel low ratings, it was a good choice and I was pleasantly surprised. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm pleased you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms. We have added micro-fridge's to all of our rooms for our guest convenience. I hope to see you the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staff & management are okay, even housekeeping. Door keys (electronic) did not work &had to be replaced 4 times. Door locks were "iffy", but are supposed to be scheduled for repair in September. Might become a good place to stay someday.

Room Tip: See some other motel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

First allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your lock. We have had an upgrade on the lock system and it seems to have taken care of the issue. I hope you will give us another chance the next time you are through the Charleston area. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

When I booked this hotel I was swayed by the advertising for the fresh appeal of the rooms on their website, which looked really nice. Our room on the other hand did not live up to the hype. There was a large circular patch of paint that had come away from the ceiling and one of the sockets was loose on the wall. The room was dingy and had about as much appeal as a nuclear bunker. It was a depressing place to stay. I honestly don't know how they could rent out this room (121) without any apology.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, WV, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the popcorn coming down in your room. We have a few rooms this has happened in and we are investigating what is causing it. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We try to keep these rooms out of order. I will look into why that wasn't the case during your stay. I hope you will give us another chance to better serve you the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel was recently renovated and it shows. The rooms were very clean and fresh. The beds were comfortable. There has no breakfast at this hotel. The tv channels are very limited unless you get the superior king rooms. The internet is very bad here and at times have trouble just sending an email. However this hotel is 100% smoke free and for me that is a big deal. All the linens and towels were clean along with the room. The staff has always been very helpful and nice. I asked about the internet and was told they are trying to get out of their current contract to get a better internet so hopefully that will happen soon. As far as the hotel itself it is very nice in the rooms and the TV's have all been upgraded to flat screens. I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be pretty good.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate all of your kind words. We are working with our corporate office to improve our internet carrier and channels and apologize that it didn't meet your expectations. We are 100% nonsmoking and that has been a big hit with our guest. We're glad you like it as well. I hope to see you on your return trip to Charleston.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

we were staying at another motel near this red roof inn and there were bug problems. I called sherry and she gave us a price that was about the same as the other. the quality of the red roof inn was 200% better. I just want to thank sherry for being so nice and helpful.i will recommend this location to others.
thanks, tom hines

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for letting us know how courteous Sherry was during your stay. I'm glad we could accommodate your family. If you’re ever in Charleston again we hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Dog friendly, good green space to walk them. Mexican restaurant within walking distance was good for dinner. Clean and friendly. Not luxurious by any means but safe and affordable on a long trip with dogs.

• Stayed: July 2013

We appreciate you and your dog staying with us and hope you will stop in again. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.