“great overnight stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“great overnight stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight here in February passing through WV. Very friendly front desk personnel especially Debra. She helped to make us feel right at home. The rooms are newly renovated and clean. Inn is close to many places to eat. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for the great comments. I appreciate you letting me know about the service Debra provided during your stay. We value your business and look forward to seeing you on a return trip to the Charleston area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Called and made reservation and let them know we needed a first floor room. Done. We were traveling with a pet. No problem, no charge. We arrived about 9:00 PM on a Saturday night and our room was waiting. A little on the small side, but we wern't throwing a super bowl party. This room was clean. Refreshing clean. Bathroom was spotless. Bed was fresh and comfortable. No breakfast, but I'll take clean over breakfast any day. Basic inexpensive motel and did I say clean?
We had a room away from the hiway and there was little if any noise from traffic. Met the staff when I went for coffee in the morning and they seemed to take sincere pride in their motel. I give it a A+

Room Tip: Review the reviews
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We proudly accept our pet friends and appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I hope when you travel in this area you will stop in and stay with us again.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Would b a good hotel if they didnt like to rent rooms to local people to make drug transactions which risks everyones safety, otherwise it would be a nice place to stay why would the managers or owners want to risk everyones safety is beyond me but i guess money more important so just be cautious of ur surroundings if u choose to stay here

• Stayed January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I'm very sorry to hear about your suspicions of drug activity here at my property. I'm looking into it to see what may have been going on during your stay. Please if you ever stay somewhere and suspect drug activities are going on, let the front desk know. We have a very close relationship with the Charleston PD and they will investigate any kind of suspected drug activity. I can assure you that we don't want that kind of activities going on here, and if we suspect such activities we have them investigated immediately. Our main concern is the safety and security of our guests and our staff. The last thing we want is for someone to be in danger or feel unsafe. I do apologize and will do my best to make sure these kinds of issues are addressed at all times.

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Annandale, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Recently remodeled, this motel is a good bargain for the budget traveler. A most interesting feature is that the wall-to-wall carpet has been replaced with faux-hardwood tiles. That old hotel carpeting, even in good, business-class hotels always made me leery about the healthiness of walking around barefoot. These tiles make me feel as I can. Microwave, small fridge, TV with HBO, coffee maker. What else could you want?

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Charleston. I’m glad you like the new package and hope that when you visit Charleston you will stay with us again.
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed there about a week ago. A guy in another room was upset because he was trying to buy cocaine from a guest in a room on the second floor. Apparently the deal went badly because the guy carried on about it all night keeping me up. There was a fight, that seemed to involve drugs or prostitution in another room. The police came to make arrests at around 3 in the morning. We heard yelling from both these rooms for much of the night, along with many other guests who complained.

When I called the woman in the office to express my concern, she said that since she worked the morning shift, she was not responsible. I called back for the manager and called Red Roof's customer relations department. I was told someone would call me from there and no one ever did. I decided to wait a week to see if anyone from Red Roof would respond to the incidents of drug and other apparent illegal activity that are going on there. No one has. The ratings for this Red Roof are a scam. This place is not safe. What concerns me more is that Red Roof has taken no interest, that I was able to discern, in dealing with this situation. That tells me that this is the place to go if you are looking for this kind of thing.

Also you may note the absence of photos showing the area outside this place. It is in a very dumpy setting. They have renovated the rooms but what is the point if the place is not safe? Do not believe the ratings.

Room Tip: Stay on the front facing the street. The back seems to be the area where the illegal stuff is most l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank charley s
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I certainly hate to hear that you got such a poor feeling about my property. This is not something that happens here, unfortunately it sounds like we had a bad guest that had to be addressed. We do have a close relationship with the Charleston PD and they are quick to respond if we ever need them. We take every complaint serious and value you as our guest. Please feel free to call the property and speak with me. I will address any concern you have. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this concern.
Angier, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Connie checked us in and she was very friendly and helpful. She even gave us a better rate than what we had originally booked - this saved us about $15! Bed and TV were very nice and the room was clean.

Room Tip: Ask Connie for her suggestion.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. Connie deserves the recognition for all of her hard work and I appreciate you letting me know how she took care of you during your stay with us. I hope to meet you the next time you are in Charleston.
St Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at this location the weekend before Thanksgiving. I was traveling to visit family in Virginia. It was very late; after midnight and I just wanted a clean, simple room to stay in at a decent price. The website (via my i-phone) was listing this room at $54.00 so I decided to stop.
First, the hotel entrance is not obvious.....at least not to me. After several minutes of exploring in the dark I drove through the parking lot of a Wendy's to get to the hotel. If there is a more accessible entrance; I could not locate it.

The lobby was closed for the night so I had to check-in via the night window. Gotta tell you; have not had to check in at a window in many, many years; almost expected it to be a cash only establishment. Anyway; the night clerk was very friendly and helpful and I was able to get a king bed.....at a rate of $64.99. This late at night; I decided not to argue the rate.

There is a microwave, mini-fridge, and small room safe......but no coffee pot in the room. Coffee is located in the lobby that was locked up tight. All the rooms have outdoor entrances like most Red Roof Inns. The room was kind of old; the furniture was a little beat up and the carpet looked questionable. However, the sheets on the bed looked clean and that was really what I was after.

The bathroom gave me pause however and I made sure to wear shoes when I went in there. It is done in a 'spa' style that seems to be coming more and more popular. The entire room is tiled (looking a little scummy in my estimation) and there is only a shower curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. They do provide a wooden bench in the shower area if needed. The problem with this design is that if the flooring is not installed properly (which was the case here) the water from the shower will not drain and you end up with a small pond in the middle of the bathroom floor. So anything you need to do post shower will probably involve water shoes. The sink had no counter space so there was no place to rest things while using the sink. Any 'self- beautification' had to be done in the main room where there was another mirror. I guess this isn't a big deal to some people; but it was a bummer for me having to schlep back and forth into that swampy bathroom to get ready for the day. And the faucet in the shower fell apart on me while trying to adjust the water temperature.....you can imagine how interesting that was.

When I checked out; the room total came out to $74.99.....kind of far from the original rate on the website, me thinks. They even charge a small fee for the room safe that looks as if any valuables you put in there; are just as vulnerable than if you just left them out in the open. I will say that the staff I interacted with were very friendly, but that doesn't make up for the condition of the room and the rate I ended up paying for it. I would suggest shelling out another $20 and getting a nicer room somewhere else.....which is what I did on the way home.

I guess its okay in a pinch; but its likely you'll be kicking yourself in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
rri-10059, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
I wanted to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay with us in Charleston. This is a very safe area and our local police force has a great respect for all of the area hotels and patrol regularly. The way you described the room it sounds like you were in one of our ADA rooms. Only two of our rooms have the type of restroom/shower you described. I'm pleased to let you know our property is almost finished with a renovation and I invite you back to The Red Roof Inn Charleston Kanawha City to experience our upgraded clean comfortable rooms and our superior service.