“This hotel is a solid "3;" great staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Charleston
Midlothian, Virginia
“This hotel is a solid "3;" great staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband, kids and I stayed in this hotel for a one night stay on our way out west. Since you never know what to expect with hotels, I was a little worried but did my research on TripAdvisor and I felt pretty comfortable booking it after I read the recent reviews. On arrival, the front desk clerk was extremely helpful and friendly, offered me extra towels, asked if I preferred upstairs or downstairs and made my check-in very smooth and efficient. The room was very clean (save a cobweb in the window), fresh sheets (I checked!) and looked recently remodeled. Laminent hardwoods in the bathroom were a nice touch! Check-out was also very smooth and the front desk clerk gave me several packs of coupons (which I have already used at home). I would recommend this hotel for travelers as a great place to spend the night. We were very pleased. Note: It is right off the interstate in the city so be aware the area looks somewhat run down.

Room Tip: Our room was on the back facing the interstate and therefore away from all the parking lot lights of...
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here for one night with our two cats. (Yes I know you are only allowed one pet, but come on, together they weigh the amount of a small dog!). The room was clean, a decent size, and smelled slightly musty, but okay for one night. The scariest part were the other hotel guests we saw smoking outside, but that is MacCorkle Ave for you- at least that part of it. I'd lock your car though and take out any belongings. It was much better than the Knights Inn on MacCorkle that we've stayed in. I wouldn't even shower there!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We arrived here for a one night stay after calling around and pricing hotels. I was surprised at the prices of the hotels around here! The red roof inn offered an excellent price, only 66 dollars for a business king size room. Although the location is a little offset, its a not a ghetto or anything and we were graciously helped by connie (the manager I presume). she was extremely helpful not just with the room but with directions back to the highway! The hotel wasn't beautiful on the outside (I prefer indoor access to rooms) but the room turned out to be very nice and very clean! Kudos

• Stayed August 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Red Roof Inn was basic but just fine, and a good $ value compared to other motels in the area. It was great that we could have our dog with us without paying a pet fee. The staff were very friendly. The furnishings and fixtures were a little low-budget but our room was clean and well-kept. The location is safe but unremarkable (completely surrounded by the interstate and a busy road) but just a few minutes' drive got us into Charleston for a nice dinner at Soho. We paid an extra $10 for the upgraded room with fridge and microwave, which were nice. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to be facing away from the interstate if you're bothered by traffic noise.
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stay at this Red Roof Inn every year when we come to Charleson, WV. The price is reasonable compared to other hotels in Charleston and all the amenities are included in the room rate.

The hotel staff is very nice and the location is convenient to everything we want to do during our annual visit to WV.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hampton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Of my nine day trip- this motel was the worse value for my dollar. I will say the room was clean, nothing crawled, there was no mildew in the shower, the sheets and towels smelled good. But the mattress! It looked as though a 500lb person had been sleeping in it for a year. I was told they were in the process of replacing the old mattresses which is fine, but I don't expect to pay $80 to sleep in someone else's "nest". If I can't have the room with the new mattress- at least have the decency to cut me a deal on the room rate. And no breakfast- nada. The last Red Roof Inn I stayed at gave us vouchers for breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. The Knights INN in Eau Claire- A Knights INN! At least had cereal, toast and danish- for $39/night. The area seemed sketchy and I worried about my bike all night- but it was fine. But I will never stay here again and I cannot recommend it. I can do much better for $80 and so can you.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MotorcycleTraveler42
Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was traveling from Hickory, NC to Cleveland, Ohio. I got a late start so decided to stop and spend the night in Charleston. I have always had good experiences with Red Roof Inns, and this one had good reviews. Well the reviews were right. The staff was very friendly. The gentleman and lady were very nice and had a great sense of humor. The room was clean and spacious.
I definitely would recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo