“OK but tired”

Red Roof Inn Charleston - Kanawha City, WV
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
“OK but tired”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Clearly an older property that was re-done about 5-10 years ago. The rooms are OK, the bathrooms re-done etc. Ours was a non-smoking room but has that smell about it that once upon a time it was a smoking room... The bathroom had been cleaned, but was not really 'clean' there was dirt in the corners as if a worker had used the room last and cleaned their boots off in there!
When we arrived the AC had been left on full blast, despite it being March - and consequently the place was freezing... Fortunately the rooms have nice silent wall mounted radiant heaters, not just a "heat setting" on the window unit. One the place warmed up it was nice and quiet (we were on the side away from the highway).
And yes, Red Roof still has that annoying $1.50 charge for "insurance" on your room safe - its just sooo annoying - I'd rather they just charge $1.50 more for the room!
Oh - and NO breakfast, just a few pots of coffee I didn't bother trying.
There's a nice new Comfort Inn on the North side of Charlotte up I79 where we'll probably stay next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the side away from I-77
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed one night, and were disappointed. The room was supposedly nonsmoking, but smelled smoky; the floor was not well vacuumed; the bathroom and sink were not as clean as a normal person would want. The TV was crummy and had about 5 ESPN channels and just a few others. The front desk staff were friendly and we didn't complain as it was a quick overnight on our way elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the highway as you can!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Nisswa MN
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We travel with pets. This is a great place to stay with or without your dogs. We travel through Charleston several times each year. We try to time it so that we can stay here. Rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. Great coffee in the lobby and very friendly and competent lobby staff. Recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Justice, West Virginia
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We were here because my dad was in critical condition in a local hospital. Connie at the front desk was wonderful to us. She really tried to help in any way she could and tried to make it as pleasant as possible under the circumstances. Thanks Connie!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed November 27, 2011

This Red Roof Inn sits conveniently close to I-77/I-79 on the outskirts of Charleston. The staff were very kind and attentive, and the room was completely spotless and clean. I would stay here again for sure, and likely will very soon.

Room Tip: rooms by the highway are noisy, with the truck traffic. I recommend getting AAA because you get disc...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank andogg
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The good thing about this place is it is right off the highway so there is no long search or possibility of getting lost. The not-so-good thing is it is RIGHT off the highway, as in a portion of the exterior is within a good throwing arm from the exit ramp, so when outside you can hear the traffic at times. While I was there the roof was being re-done but thankfully I was out of my room during most of the day and I missed all the noise. I stayed 2 nights and didn't have any problems. Across the small front parking lot is a Wendy's and a 2 minute walk from the hotel is a Bob Evan's and Mexican restaurant. Also across the street is several other places to eat and get gas. The employees I encountered at the front desk were all very friendly. If you're a discount shopper or love to find a great deal, be sure to check out Gabriel's less than a mile from the motel on MacCorkle Ave!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank aidra
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Check-in was unpleasant as they had my reservation wrong at check-in. We were staying for one night only and they had us booked the day before I arrived. They had already charged my credit card and had quite a difficult time correcting this mistake. However, staff was nice, apolagetic, and anxious to help.

The room was old and quite worn but clean. A bit noisy. And we could smell tobacco smoke coming from somewhere on the property.

We wouldn't stay there again. We don't recommend an overnight stay in Charleston for that matter. Next morning as I cleaned the windshield I noted a good dusting of what I assumed was coal dust on the glass.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple