“Great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

This hotel was a fine place to stay, convenient to the locations I had to visit, clean, courteous and comfortable. I would stay here again and will probably have to, come March 2011.
I noted previous reviews, including one report about roaches. I never saw anything that was unclean or made me uncomfortable. The hotel staff was uniformly courteous and graciously let me keep my regular hotel rate even though I checked out a day early because my business ended unexpectedly early. The only slight inconvenience was the slowness of dinner service at the Whitewater Grille although breakfast there was just fine.
I booked my room through the Marriott website and was really happy to note I had choices about the location of my room throughout the hotel, the firmness of my pillows, with or without feathers and the size of the bed. My choices were completely honored at checkin. In short, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Joyce_Romoff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

Staying here we were close to our conference at the civic center and also to the mall with it's food court and several nicer restaurants. Unlike other conferences, we did not have to move our car the entire time since food and meetings were so close. That was nice because the traffic entering town was horrible. Leaving was easier, but beware one way streets!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Huntington, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

My brother was married on June 5th in St. Albans, WV and they decided to have their wedding reception at the Marriott. I stayed for three nights along with some business associates, friends, and family (June 4th - 7th).

After arriving early my room was not ready (no big deal). They told me to park in the garage and that I could go to the mall and eat while I waited. After I ate I retrieved my car from the parking garage (so I could pull around front and unload) and was told i had to pay $3 to get out. I informed the lady I was staying there but my room just wasn't ready (hence I didn't have a room key). Very rudely she demanded $3.

I then checked into my room and it seemed to be fair; I was pleased with the free wireless Internet. The first night we got back late so really didn't see much of the hotel. The second night (after the reception) I went up to my room to change clothes. Despite being 8:00 p.m. the room had not been serviced. I called and when the lady came she accused my cousin of 'being drunk' (I don't know why she decided to pass judgment). I gave her a $5 bill and it sure changed her attitude. She offered additional towels in return for my tip, but I just wanted her to go on. After changing clothes we went and hung out at the hotel bar for several hours. The staff was pretty slow, however there was one male bartender during the day that was probably the best around (wish he worked the night shift).

The third day of my stay many of our guests were leaving but I decided to enjoy the pool/hot tub/sauna for the afternoon with some business associates. The hot tub was cold and didn't work properly. The locker room hadn't been cleaned since 2008 (we found an old receipt in one of the lockers). To cap things off, after the sauna I noticed a roach walking around the halls of floor 16 (I'll try to attach a pic to this review). I killed it then reported it to the front desk. They acted concerned but the dead roach remained where I killed it until the next day when I checked out. Having several business associates with me, I was so embarrassed I didn't make a scene as I didn't want them knowing I put them up in a hotel that contains roaches.

I spent $99/night for the first two nights (wedding rate) and then $250 the last night (wedding rate expired). I also dropped a solid $800 in the bar buying drinks for people. Despite the amount of money I spent I was very disappointed. I can't believe my brother's wife actually had to pay them for the reception! Overall this hotel is old, the staff is rude and slow, the amenities don't work, and there are roaches crawling around. If you have to go to Charleston, WV I would suggest the Embassy Suites next door as it is much newer (I however have never stayed there). This wasn't my first time staying at this hotel but it was definitely my worst experience. They could do a lot better.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank wnwryan
Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

This is a lovely downtown hotel that is just like any other convention center hotel. Comfortable rooms, lovely space but there they over charge for almost anything. We had a nice stay but there might be a better deal around here.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank akrsouth
Augusta, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed here because of it's location in regards to the Civic Center (across the street). When we arrived we noticed a line of customers waiting to get checked in, but at the same time the manager saw the line getting longer and brought two other people over to quickly get the customers taken care of. Later that evening the manager sent me a text message asking if we were enjoying our say and if we needed anything. Great customer service and I'll be staying at this hotel every time I go anywhere near Charleston, WV.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
South Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed for business recently at this downtown hotel. It is a large Marriott with a nice lobby. There is an adjacent parking garage for which the hotel charges self-parkers $9 per night. There is a nice mall directly across the street with some good restaurant choices. The room was adequate with a nice flat screen TV with a very good picture. The bathroom was small and although the room has a balcony, access is precluded by a special lock. The bed was comfortable. The AC was nothing short of horrible as it would not cool down. I called for maintenance who promptly responded and indicated they had done something hotel-wide with regard to cooling and it should kick in shortly. It seemed to get better, but by the morning, it would not cool at all. The fitness center was adequate with some free weights as well aerobic machines.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank FTLAW
lawrenceville,ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times for meetings at the Civic Center, which is across the street.
My client has booked me each time and direct billed the room. I look forward to my visit as I know this hotel treats its guests wonderfully. Steve, at the front desk, could not have been nicer. From start to finish the stay was perfect: check in, room, shuttle, restaurant! The hotel is older but the rooms are updated, quiet and comfortable. The focus on the customer make it a 5 star for me! You are truly appreciated at this location! Thanks for another wonderful stay! I hope to return for again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business