“Not worth the money”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, WV
“Not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

I was very disappointed in the Marriott. When you think of the Marriott hotels you think very nice. The lobby and the meeting rooms were very nice. The staff and restaurant were very nice. The rooms were not any thing special. There was no wireless. I could not believe I could go to McDonalds and get wireless internet but not in my hotel room. The rooms were okay but needed some updating. There was no exhaust fan in the bathrooms, so the mirror stayed fogged up. The ceiling in the main room had a stain on it like they had a problem with leaking. The furniture was in need of replacing. It was not what I had expected with such a well know hotel. There is no breakfast. I can go to a lot cheaper hotel and have a really nice breakfast. The rooms are not quiet. The sound from outside and even from the rooms next door are not good. I could hear the man next door yawning. The no wireless just blew me away. Everyone depends on their computers for business and family contacts when they are away from home and a hotel that you spend these prices on wants you to pay 12.95 a day for this convience. Sorry I'll go to Super 8 next time, I would have the same quality of room at a lot cheaper price. Even with the access they had in the Business Center, there were two computers and only one of them worked and the speed was slow. If the conference I was in town for had not been in the Marriott I would have changed hotels. I think that is where they no they can stick it to you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank eaglesfly13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed here thinking that it would be the best place in town - after staying there we were very disappointed. Front desk service was good and then it was downhill after that. Rooms are tired and bathroom not very clean. Beds not comfortable.
Service in the restaurant was awful and mediocre.
We have stayed at many Marriott's and this is the worsst one ever.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingSusan
West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2009

I booked a room taking advantage of the Valentine's Day weekend special. It was a joke. The room was noisy, the service at the restaurant was horrible and the room was not that nice for a Marriott property. We walked down to the Embassy Suites next door and it was a much more pleasant atmosphere, at least in the atrium and bar. I don't know what the rooms look like at Embassy, but they can't be any worse than the Marriott and I will never take advantage of a special in Charleston again. We drove several hours to be let down.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AVG01
Tallahassee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

We got a decent price-- $95 a night, and wanted an indoor pool for our toddler, a must in 30 degree weather. The pool, unfortunately, was dirty, with hair and unidentified bits floating in cloudy water. The room was ok and appeared clean. Avoid the restaurant. Food was bad even compared to the average in Charleston (notorious for its lack of decent restaurant options). If you are expecting Marriott-level quality, forget it. Next time we will try the Embassy and hope we have better luck.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Geo23
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

I am an experienced world traveler and have seen very nice, mediocre and pretty bad hotels. I love Marriott branded hotels typically and feel the overall quality of them is higher than most other chains.

The Charleston Marriott Town Center unfortunately doesn't QUITE live up to the standard Marriott has set. I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years since it opened in the mid 80s. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice hotel and is clean and updated in most ways, but unfortunately lacks in several others.

Internet access of any type is always charged for at the full-service hotels Marriott has including JW Marriott, Renaissance and Ritz-Carlton. If you want free internet, you have to choose one of the "by Marriott" brands like Residence Inn, Courtyard and Fairfield. I still wish Marriott full-service hotels had complimentary internet and that it was wireless in guest rooms.

Another challenge at this hotel is that since it is in downtown, you have to pay $9/day for parking. I'd rather the parking be free of course but my real complaint about it is that it's a garage and then an elevator ride to the first floor and then a walk over into the hotel lobby and then up to your room. It's simply not convenient and depending on the weather can be annoying.

The last thing about this hotel is that other Marriotts that aren't brand new have been renovated and have the new luxury feel of Marriott. This one has it a little in the lobby but not really anywhere else. The rooms have been partially redone and while they're nice enough, they're not at the level of others.

While the carpet looks good and the chair/ottoman, there's peeling paint in the bathroom over the shower, quite a few of the TV channels were unwatchable due to lines or "digital-sweep", drawers in the dresser/TV combo didn't work properly, the blinder curtains didn't completely close, etc. It's too many little things not up to par that leave a feeling of the hotel needing attention in general.

The most ANNOYING thing about staying there is that in the winter when the heat is on, you CANNOT adjust the temperature cooler. There's actually a laminated notice above the thermostat explaining they have a two pipe system and if you want your room cooler, you need to open your sliding door! Remember, you're in a downtown location ... so if you want quiet, it's hard to do when you're cooling your room down with the door open.

All in all, its a nice hotel but needs quite a bit of TLC to make it truly accommodating. Staying there isn't convenient. It seems you're constantly accommodating for the hotel. It is one of the nicest hotels in Charleston WV but I think the newer Embassy Suites down the street is probably a better option regardless of whether you're going for business or pleasure. Or, the Residence Inn is another good option with free parking, free internet, etc.

• Liked — rooms were pretty clean
  • Disliked — overall quality was lacking and the property was just too inconvenient in general
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank luvs2tvl
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stayed the this Marriott for a Carrie Underwood concert. I always book Marriott hotels because I know I am guaranteed a clean room, comfy bed, down comforter, and feather pillows. This hotel was very nice because we parked in the parking garage and did not move our car until the next day. We walked across the street to the mall, then to Bennigan's to eat, and then to the civic center to the concert. The hotel is beautiful and very clean. i would even book this hotel just for a quick shopping trip to the mall.

• Liked — Comfy bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

The biggest plus was the bed...very comfortable. The staff was polite and all spoke English. We had a room over the reception tent and the music was too loud. About 0351 AM some frat brats were playing on the next door balcony...the doors to which are supposed to be locked for safety... I peeked out my window about that time to see what was... and from the 3rd floor I saw this kid scaling the mechanical units and finally hoisting himself over the balcony next to us...We were on the fifth floor by the way. It just got noisier after that... It wasn't a bad stay...but my biggest issue is internet wasn't free...$10 per day for a room that already cost $135...Ridiculous and greedy...

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — lack of connectivity to the internet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business