“A surprisingly nice Hotel in the heart of Charleston”

Charleston Marriott Town Center
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 2, 2011

After traveling some time through West Virginia, the Marriott Charleston Town Center was surprisingly good hotel. After checking in, we found a nice, clean room with a nice view of the city. The room had a nice set of amenities including room service, valet parking, front desk support, and maid service. Across the street is a major indoor mall with countless shops. A short walk down the road are historic buildings and downtown shops. It was a great location.

Beyond the hotel was a restaurant found on the first floor. The restaurant turned out to be surprisingly good for its dinners. Worth a visit if there are no other options. The hotel also had a pool which I didn't visit due to cold. Parking was not free and the small driveway through the entrance of the Marriott could be crowded at times.

An overall good hotel with great amenities.

• Stayed: March 2011

Reviewed March 20, 2011

We were a little concerned about booking here due to the previous reviews, but were pleasantly surprised at arrival. The hotel is easy to get to and is in an excellent location to the Civic Center. Also, the Town Center mall is directly across the street--great shopping and restaurants. Yes, the hotel is a bit dated, but our room was clean and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Grill has a great breakfast buffet for $10--lots of choices. They do charge extra for parking and for local calls, which is a downer, but since we were attending an event near the Center, we didn't have to move our car for 2 days. Also, no free wii fi in rooms, just in the business center. They do charge extra if you want connection in your room. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Charleston. Friendly staff, bellman service, nice pool area, clean rooms and great location.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2011

First off.. I made reservations thru the phone; I called direct # to Marriott in Charleston, WV. I called to make a reservation and it seem like the guy on the other line was more worried about signing me up for Marriott rewards (which I did as well), I booked a room for Saturday of that week. I was attending a dance at that hotel. I am local live about 20 minutes away from Charleston, but I thought a night close to Valentine’s Day would be nice at the Marriott. ANYWAY.. showed up at the hotel.. my reservations was lost, not to mention this hotel was PACKED due to the dance and a cheerleading event. I told them I made it by phone, she said well you weren’t talking to us, we have a call center all over the world. I was like wellllll Great! Now what are we going to do.. the only rooms she had available was handicapped king bed, which was fine with us. The rooms are O.K. very comfy beds is a plus, nice flat screen TV's but the channel lineup on the TV is horrible. No good channels to watch, unless you want to pay for a movie. We go to the dance, have a blast, wake up to get some pop at the little store they have in the lobby $3.00 for a 20 oz pop or water. Crazy prices, but even crazier is the prices for room service. We check out, my bill looks right.. look at the bank statement charged $20.00 more. Called next day, they said that the hotel will do a "guesstimate" on how much you will spend for this room. I don't like guesstimates when it comes to my $$. But it should come off to 5 to 10 business I was told..hmmmm.
**FINAL.. My advice stay at the Embassy Suites if you’re staying in Charleston, WV. Rooms are a lot bigger, manager specials in evening if you like to drink, and free awesome breakfast in the morning. Its right beside the Marriott so location is great. There are also a lot of hotels to choose from in Charleston. Up at Corridor G/Southridge there are a few and lot of shopping and food places to choose from. I would recommend this hotel, but it would be one of my last choices. TAKE CAUTION AND CALL TO CONFIRM RESERVATION IF YOUR TRAVELING OUTSIDE OF WV.
The staff is just o.k. not very helpful.. The parking lot elevators are HORRIBLE for a Marriott.. Great location..pool is nice.. The look of the hotel and lobby are nice :)
This maybe my last time to stay here because of the reservation problem. If I was coming from out of state.. that would have been REALLLLLLLLY BAD!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MUherdFan
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I traveled to Charleston WV for business and stayed her one night, with colleagues.

Clearly, this is an older Marriott that is trying to stay in business in the middle of an economically depressed area. Although I found the beds/linens and bathroom to be clean, in standard Marriott condition, it really wasn't one of my finest Marriott experiences. Public officials stay here, as evidenced by state police hustling people in and out of the lobby... I suppose this means it's the best local option?

Pros: Location - it's downtown and next to a mall - good shopping (Macy's etc), the bellhop was very courteous in driving us to/from dinner, the hotel room was quiet. The in-house restaurant had a good bar, and breakfast was adequate.

Cons: Felt like an older Marriott that needs megabucks to update (lobby area, in particular)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

i stayed at the marriott hotel in january 12 2010 the orange jiuce and coffee were very good. The pool was ok,very over chlorified i still have headaches from it . I would stay there again but the beds were horribly uncomfortable i literally preffered the floor so i just slept on it

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I have stayed here in times past and it has never been my favorite hotel, but this was the stay that said"Never Again". First, I had asked for double beds. When I got in the room, I had a king and a roll out, which was not very comfortable. Second, I got on the elevator and had to go up and down several times before the door opened. Whwn it did, I got off and took the other elevator. Third, the ice machine on our floor was out of service. Fourth, the room was extremely hot with a sign over the thermostat that said to turn the temperature down and open the window, it was in the 30s. Fifth, No extra linen for rollout. Sixth, the icing on the cake, I had to take a shower in cool water. I guess it could have been worse, COLD water. They give us a free breakfast for the trouble, service was terrible. Had to get the man who seated us to get us a server, then the eggs were cold. We were to stay 2 nights but checked out and went to another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grunyon2000
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed for 3 nights with a conference. Location was great...we walked everywhere we needed to go. Staff was friendly...room was comfy!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business