“Wonderful experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel August 13 and August 16. We were on our way to and from Ohio. This was about the greatest place for us. Joey and JerLisa at the front desk were so gracious and so friendly. They were the epitome of hospitality. The continental breakfast was very nice. We will definitely stay here again if we are in the neighborhood.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Maryann F,

Thanks so much for the wonderful review! I am so glad you chose us, and your kind comments about our associates Joey and Jerlisa are very much appreciated, we are very fortunate to have them as part of our team. Glad to hear that we exceeded your expecations and we look forward to your next visit!

Holiday Inn Express Civic Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We arrived late at night. The reservation was processed through the front desk - it was to be paid for using my "Priority Club points" [I carry a platinum card].

Upon arrival Front Desk person insisted their day shift employee could not have possibly processed the reservation for points. "He most certainly would have referred me to the website to make my own reservation." No, we cannot change it now - no way - no how. This was an unexpected $150 charge.

No PC courtesies were extended.

After we heated up the room ()with the efficient heater) from an unbearable 62 degree we slept well in a comfortable bed. Room & bath were clean & appropriately supplied.

Breakfast - Antiques Road Show was in town - the youngest person in the dining room was 30 [I asked him]. Now we know why it's called antiques road show!

Serving staff were efficiently busy. Politely interacting with guests and there were a lot as the hotel was sold out the night before.

Wife selected a no fat milk carton dated 1 day short of expiration. It was also at least 1 day past expiration - it was sour. This happens - no big deal. But wait – ALL other no fat cartons in the cooler bore same date code.

Being responsible I let serving staff know - and then watched their handling of the situation. Date codes were checked, no other cartons were opened to see if this was an atypical container. When we left 10 minutes later, the stock in the cooler remained in place.

How was our stay - draw your own conclusions. Also read Eee00's commentary.

Room Tip: Somewhere else.
Green Features: no effort to recycle dining area waste - one size trash can accepts ALL
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Gil L,

Thank you for your recent review and for the positive things you had to say about our location and your clean and comfortable room. I was very sorry to hear of the difficulty you experienced during check in when trying to use your Rewards points for your stay.Unfortunately, Rewards night point redemptions must be booked directly through the IHG Rewards site or through IHG Central Reservations, individual hotels cannot deduct points from your account for hotel stays. As an IHG Rewards Platinum member you are now entitled to receive either an arrival snack or extra points at check in. Once you receive your next statement please review it carefully and if your additional points were not awarded, please contact us.

As for the issue you had with the milk, as you stated it was not out of date and when brought to our attention, three other cartons from the same case were opened and checked in our prep area and found to be fresh. I can verify that this took place as I was assisting in the breakfast area that morning and witnessed the inspection. We also received no other complaints from other guests that morning. Food safety is paramount in our business and we would never do anything to risk the health or safety of our patrons.

I apologize if it appeared to you that we failed to handle this matter appropriately and I hope that this gives you a better understanding of what actually took place behind the scenes, and that you will consider choosing us again should your travels bring you back to Charleston.

Nashville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Coming for the Antiques Roadshow with older parents I was looking for a convenient location. The hotel is also located close to the mall so we were able to walk to Outback for dinner. The Civic Center is across the street and was very easy to access from the hotel. The staff was also very accommodating when my parents checked in before I arrived. The breakfast in the morning was wonderful. There was one man running it and food was plentiful, the area clean and he was very pleasant. He even got the sausage down for my mom who was too short to reach it. The only problem was we needed an extra towel as the room only had three. We made due no problem. For people going to the Civic Center this is a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Heather V,

Thank you very much for the excellent review. We were very proud to play even a small part in providing accomodations for those attending the Antique Road Show, what a great event! We appreciate all of the wonderful things you had to say about our staff and services, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Manton, Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Situated right along the river and across the street from the Civic Center. Easy walking distance to restaurants, the Mall, Capitol Street, etc. Staff was very attentive and greeted you with a good morning, good afternoon, how was your day and always with a smile. Tuesday night social hour is a fun time to get to know other travellers. My wife even won the drawing of 1000 points. Good place to hang your hat while in town.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dale F,

Just wanted to say thanks for the great review! Your nice comments about our location, staff services, and our Tuesday night Guest Appreciation event are very much appreciated. AND you were one of our BIG Rewatds points winners to boot!

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best regards,
Charleston
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Calling the 800 number to change my reservation was easy and quick. I was going to stop in KY but realized I could put in a few more hours of driving. During the phone call to HI I was told my reservation was made for a certain room. I was thrilled how easy the process was.
Arriving late I checked in, to find that I was not given the room that I requested. Nor was I given their bag upon arrival(being a platinum member). Once we arrived in the room it was freezing! 52 degrees in the room. We settled in and quickly ordered pizza from a place that was recommended from the staff. It was bad. Wish I went to wendys instead. I was about to shower until I saw the filth that was in the bathroom. Hairs left all over the shower, the side of the tub, etc. the floor was filthy!! I didn't trust it and needed to wear shoes. I even found a hair clip under the sink with a pile of dirt and an area that clearly was not cleaned in a long time.
In the bedroom area I found wrappers to a bandaid plus the bandaid as well.
While trying to fall asleep all we heard was our neighbor talking VERY loudly! It felt like he was in the same room.
I think breakfast was the best part of the hotel. Wide variety and carries one of the best selections for hotels that offer free breakfast.
Next time I will bypass this area and keep driving.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Eee00,

Thank you for the recent review and loyalty as an IHG Rewards Platinum member. We were delighted to hear how pleased you were with our breakfast offering. On the other hand, please accept my sincere apology for the cleanliness issues you encountered. I am very disappointed that one of our team members would overlook such obvious details. I would encourage you to always bring such matters to our attention immediately so that they can be resolved quickly or so you can be moved to more suitable accomodations, we have a manager on duty 24 hours per day. I can assure you that corrective action has been taken to limit the likelyhood of this happening again in the future.

As an IHG Rewards Platinum member you are now entitled to either an arrival snack or additional Rewards points. Please check your next statement, and if you did not receive those points please let us know.

I sincerely hope that you will not allow this isolated incident prevent you from choosing us again.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Really nice and responsive staff at this facility. Everyone couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The toll way staff also knew how to locate you and the staff member Roxanne Moses in Princeton, Virginia at the Holiday Inn Express was so kind as to help me reserve this room.

Green Features: Jerlisaa Sturdavent and Rachel Lehow were so nice and good to me; answering my questions and ensuring that I knew how to get back onto the highway. They also assisted me in making a long distance call when my cell phone wasn't working. Very good staff.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear nancypearl7green,

Thanks so much for the great review and for all of the wonderful comments about our associates Jerlissa and Rachel. We are very lucky to have them both as a part of our team.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We pulled into Charleston on our Harleys from Ontario with no hotel booked, and we had stopped at a tourist info and got our hands on a travellers guide and had some hotel discount coupons in it. We arrived here and the staff were awesome in getting us the last room at the rate of $73.99 for the night. This is less then the corporate rate that I over heard the man next to me being checked in and paying $139.99.
It was a Tuesday so its customer appreciation day and they have free beer wine and cheese in the lobby area as well. So after my 3 glasses of wine and my husbands 3 beers and the cheese and snacks we had, really the $73.99 we paid for the hotel was ALOT less than that.
Location is convenient to the I-77 as well as the convention center.
We walked 4 blocks to a pub/sports bar that also had a happy hour and great food. Which was a recommendation from the front desk staff.....thank you for that :-)
The hotel was clean, and the breakfast was hot and good in the a.m as well with a great variety.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Clean, great staff, food and location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear mich,

A big thanks from all of us here at the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center for the great review! All of the wonderful things you had to say about our staff, our welcome reception, location, and cleanliness means so much to us. We are so glad that you chose to stay with us.

Should your travels bring you back through Charleston we hope you will come see us again!

Best regards,