“Great location”

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed for a convention. Room 215
Across the street from the Civic Center & in walking distance of the mall/restaurants.

Pros:Friendly staff, Breakfast, Conference room, good water pressure, work out room
Cons: Uncomfortable bed, lighting in room, Elevator time

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stopped here on our way home from vacation for one weekend night. Clean room and everything worked. The reception and breakfast staff were all extremely freindly and helpful. The manager obviously pays attention to customer interaction. Our room did not have a microwave or fridge, and that would have been helpful. Plenty of parking and easy off/on to I-64. Don't know if traffic would be a problem during the week, because it is right downtown.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I was in Charleston for business and stayed two nights. It was a great place with excellent, friendly, and accommodating staff. They were at the end of their renovation, replacing elevators, which wasn't a problem at all, and as a courtesy to those staying, they had fresh baked cookies "to make up for the inconvenience." The room was very clean and spacious with everything one would need. Breakfast had great choices, whether one wanted eggs and bacon, fruit and yogurt, cereal, bagels, pastries, etc. Coffee was fresh and available 24/7. The fitness center is larger than I have seen in other hotels, was clean, and a pleasure to use. It is located about a block and a half from a large mall, making it easy to pick up dinner. The staff went out of their way to make it a very good stay. I highly recommend the hotel, so don't believe any negative reviews. As a side note, I was there during the "water frenzy" and the staff made bottled water available free of charge to those who felt more comfortable having it for drinking and to make their morning in-room coffee. Many thanks to the staff for the stay.

Room Tip: I don't have a specific tip. I asked for a king room, which was on the 5th floor, and while it f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2014

People are so nice. Breakfast is ok for free. Place has an odd odor but staff so helpful and nice it's not a big deal. I'll stay here again esp for the price. Also it's near a lot for crw wv. The views are not great in that area.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2014

During a college road trip my family stayed one night at this hotel. James at the front desk was extremely pleasant as all the staff here seemed nice. The hotel room was very clean, water was hot and beds were very comfortable.

Only complaints were that I booked the room for 2 adults and 2 children but there were only three sets of towels. Requested a fourth set and was told it would be delivered but it never was delivered. There are two elevators and due to renovations one was down and the other took 15-25 minutes to arrive. We were on the fourth floor and there is only one indoor stairwell from the fourth floor.

Room Tip: Be aware all though hotel is directly across the street from civic vented this is not the best neigh...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Clair W,

Thanks for your recent review and for the kind remarks about our staff and services. I am so sorry we did not follow thru on your request for additional towels. And I am happy to report that our elevator renovations will be completed this Friday, February 7th! Should your travels bring you back to WV we hope that you will consider us your "home away from home"!

Richard Eaton-General Manager

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I've stayed here at least 15-20 times. The staff (especially van service staff) is extremely unfriendly. The rooms are absolutely filthy. I found urine on my toilet seat, stains all over my "clean" towels, hairs all over the bathroom, extremely dusty vents, dead bugs behind the beds, and stains on the ceilings in bathroom possibly from leaks or mold. The hotel has been renovated which helped the appearance. The water is sometimes brown. On my last stay, there was a chemical spill in the city which affected the water system. Although we had stayed in this hotel all afternoon, none of us were notified of the health risk of what was in the water. I stay in hotels about 180-200 nights per year, and this is one of my least favorite properties. The location is okay, right near the mall and located just outside of the center of downtown. The hotel is located right next to a busy road, which you'll have the ability to hear throughout your stay.

Room Tip: Highest floor away from elevators and highway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Justin K
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Justin K,

Thank you for your recent review. I am so sorry to hear that our hotel has failed to meet your expectations, I hope that you will accept my sincere apology for the obvious inconvenience this has caused you. The housekeeping concerns you have mentioned have been addressed with our leadership team and corrective action taken. As for your concern about the chemical spill that affected our regions water on January 9th. Our hotels water system was completely flushed, not once (as directed) but twice, and we were cleared by our local health authorities on January 14th when our water was tested and deemed safe for use. To ease our guests continued concerns we have continued to provide complimentary bottled water for consumption. We understand your anxiety and can assure you that the safety of our guests is our number one concern. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or concerns about this matter.

Richard Eaton-General Manager

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My room was clean and nicely decorated albeit a little on the small side even for a single. Water pressure was great as was internet and the breakfast room was well-stocked with plenty of room for guests. Most of the staff were out-going and friendly. I'll stay here again next time!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business