“Great Front Desk Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was my first time staying at this Holiday Inn and I was a bit concerned because of the low rating on Tripadvisor. However I was perfectly happy from the moment I walked in the door to the moment I left. Yes the building is a bit older but they have worked hard to keep the place updated. The front desk staff was stellar and my room was clean and comfortable with plenty of room. The bathroom was clean and the shower had great water pressure! The maintenance staff I passed in the hallway made a point of saying hello which is always a sign of a good hotel. If there was any low point then I would say it was breakfast. There was some token bananas and some yogurt but most everything was heavy on the bread side of things. There were also two ladies working the breakfast area. Neither one seemed particularly friendly and the younger woman had a facial piercing and visible tattoos down her arms. I'm not against piercing and tattoos as a rule but they seemed out of place and unprofessional in comparison to the rest of the staff. I didn't use the WIFI or fitness center but they had, what looked like, a very nice business center. Overall, a great stay and I recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LadyZady
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Absolutely great stay. Everyone went far out of their way to make our reunion perfect. The hot breakfast was a definite plus. The catering staff who provided and served our closing night banquet were super. I would recommend the hotel to anyone traveling or planning an event in the Charleston, WV, area.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Everything was super, the staff, front desk people. cleanup staff, mantiance people, shultte drivers. The food was great. We got all that we wanted them to do. Made us feel welcome!
The rooms where great. The people all over town where nice. The riverfront on Friday was really great!!!!!! The standing 'OOOO' from the people was warmed recived from myself and my wife.
Sat. nights banquet was FABBBB!!!!!!!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Wow, where do I start! This entire hotel staff from breakfast staff to house keeping and front desk bent over backwards on every turn to make this a memorable outing. The final night banquet was well served with delicious food as was the breakfast every morning of our stay.

The graciousness of the staff and citizens we met was warm and welcoming.

I cannot express enough superalatives to describe the care and service

Room Tip: We were on the first floor facing the front of the hotel. It was quiet and pleasant.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I had to go to Charleston because a close family member had passed away. It was a very stressful time for both of us, and we were both on edge. Usually hotels are hit or miss, and I was concerned if our hotel stay would add to the stress. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Our room was very comfortable, and very quiet. The bed was comfy and everything worked fine. It was nice having breakfast on-site.

My absolutely favorite part was the fruit infused water they offered at the front desk in the evenings. One night it was infused with berries, and another night it was infused with melons.It was so good, and one of those little things that just make a stay special.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've stayed at several Holiday Inn Expresses (Expressi?) and have learned what to expect from them; a comfortable room, free breakfast, and not a whole lot of flash. The "lack of flash" shouldn't be taken as an insult - I'd rather see a hotel spend money to update their rooms or keep their employees happy than to have bells and whistles in the lobby.

We got this room through Priceline at a very good rate, but in order to get a room with two beds we checked in as soon as we got into the area. The front desk clerk told me I was booked for a room with just one bed, but that she would get us switched to a room with two. I got our keys and left without going to the room.

That was my mistake. When we got back that evening, we went up to our room to find - one bed. I rolled my eyes and went down to the front desk to see what happened to our room, hoping that we'd be able to get a room with two beds (the whole reason for checking in as early as we did). They were able to (on a different floor, much to my son't dismay), so outside of that little hiccup, we were fine.

Room was fine otherwise. Breakfast was good - a typical HIE breakfast spread. The boys were fascinated with the "pancake machine", though the pancakes that came out of it were overcooked and not very good.

All in all, a good stay. Nothing to rave about, but nothing to really complain about either. Location would probably give this place a 3.5 overall rating, just because it's right in the center of the city and close to everything.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Richard E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charleston - Civic Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Dear Mr Workrate,

First of all, I like your new accronym "Expressi", I think it should be added to the Webster's dictionary with the description- "loyal, dedicated, and faithful Holiday Inn Express patron"! All joking aside, we very much apprciate your loyalty, and the nice review. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We arrived around 11pm and experienced a quick, friendly check-in. This hotel looks to have been recently remodeled. Everything looks nice and new but there are a few places where you can tell the age of the hotel. That didn't bother us though. The rooms are nice and spacious. The AC is a little loud but it served as white noise to help drown out the sound of traffic. The location is great, being steps from the civic center and mall. The price is also great, compared to the others around this area. Breakfast was great with hard boiled and scrambled eggs, pancakes, cereal, cinnamon rolls, sausage, toast, and biscuits and gravy. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Ward 103,

What a great review! I can't thank you enough for such a detailed description of your recent stay with us. Please come back and see us again soon!