“Beautiful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, United States
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

At the beginning of our recent motorcycle adventure, we stopped in Charleston WV to celebrate the 4th of July and chose to stay at this property. Right at the heart of the celebration, we couldn't have asked for anything better. The beautiful waterfront is right across the street, which for this evening was shut down. This made it a little tough to get in to the property but that was to be expected. The hotel itself is an absolutely beautiful property with wonderfully appointed rooms. We were river front so truly did have a front row seat. I've seen reviews complaining about noise, etc. Personally we weren't disturbed. Breakfast is not provided and somewhat costly but knowing that going in, there are places close by where a good breakfast can be enjoyed. I did look at the buffet that was offered and it was a very nice one. However, I don't eat $11 worth of breakfast and decided to pass.

Room Tip: If you are a member of the Sheraton rewards program, you will most likely get a riverfront view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Crystal W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Rooms in great shape, with modern look and feel. Quiet and beautiful view of river. Pleased by the huge exercise room with lots of equipment. Pool is quite small, but still enjoyed good for the price. Staff was friendly.it.

Stayed July 2014
Haymarket VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have never been to a downtown area of a capital city so devoid of restaurants or even people. This hotel was selected because it was obvious there are no taxis in this city, and we wanted an option for night life (and late found out my original Marriot choice had a great resty (boo hoo). Anyway, booked the room , took a shower, and walked around a few downtown blocks before settling on the only close place that seemed higher end than a deli/sports bar. The place we went to was called BlackSheep. They are a Mexican, craft brewery, and spirits place that turned out to be very good value and great food. We had an awesome server whose name was Chris- would recommend this place over the bar/resty attached to the hotel called Recovery (bad name and image). Anyway, the hotel was totally average; got a river view but unremarkable since Charleston has chosen not to develop this (all it brings is the rail sounds). Loud A/C, skimpy on the towels, no refrigerator, and noisy hallways. It's a good price, but really isn't worth more the $105 I paid (military discount). The south does not do chains right...they need to take some lessons from the northeast. would only recommend for the location but for convenience pick the Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I am sure you've heard the saying "there is no place like home "BUT" I beg to differ when it comes to staying in a "suite" at this hotel, it really felt like home. Moms, Dads this is definitely the place to take up residency for a day or two. The corner suite catered to little and advanced busy bodies. The suite was spacious, fresh and clean! It has a living room (what felt like one) and an open space off to the side where you could put a play pen or make a play area for the little people. It had two 42 inch wall units t.v's. (bedroom and sitting/living area) the kids watched their shows while dad and I watched ours. How lovely! The swimming pool is kid friendly - small (no diving) and closes at 10 p.m. (great because my kids would stay all day)

The mall was 2 blocks walking with very nice restaurants surrounding it. During my stay I must say I had three draw backs which I was aware of which didn't deter me from booking. It was the noise of the train and cars (the hotel is on the strip), but this is what makes this hotel alive. It's great for teenagers, couples and families. It directly across the street from the river so you can sit and see boating and tug boats go up and down. Lastly the beds are full size. My husband and I are average size but I like room. As spacious as I stated the hotel could "at least" make one of the beds a queen size (hint, hint Four Points are you listening :)?

Anyway my recommendation...... Love it, book it.

Room Tip: Corner suites are the way to go. Great view "if" on the front side of hotel. It overlook...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Charleston, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Barbara W,
Thank you for your very kind review. We strive to make each guest’s stay as comfortable as possible, and we are thrilled you felt like we were your home away from home. We’re also pleased to hear you enjoyed our guest room, services, and amenities in addition to our convenient location in Charleston. Thanks again for sharing with us, and we hope to welcome you back the next time you are in town. Take care.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

A very nice hotel, in a great location in the heart of downtown Charleston.

The staff were all very friendly and my room was both clean and incredibly spacious. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
Beckley, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel to rest up at the final leg of a very long move.

I chose this hotel because of it's high TripAdvisor rating, Price, and the fact that it's completely smoke-free (If I may editorialize: it's 2014 West Virginia - there really should be no smoking in public places. Get with the program.)

Anyway, the hotel lived up to the hype. The hotel was very new (or had been very recently remodeled) and the room was in exquisite condition. The bed was very comfortable, the room very quiet, and the Wi-Fi was presently fast.

The hotel is also quite conveniently located downtown. Many sites and great restaurants are within walking distance, and the hotel has a great view of the river.

Although Parking is pricy ($10 per day), and the pool was a little small, I would still highly recommend this hotel if you are considering staying in Charleston for any period of time. Doubly so if you don't smoke.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank RJ K
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

I read online that the hotel changed ownership and has recently been updated. You can definitely tell when you get there. The hotel is decor is new and fresh and the facilities are clean.

The location is great. You are right on the levee so you can easily walk across the street to any concerts there. You are also a few blocks from the restaurants, like on Capitol Street. A few blocks the other direction is the south side bridge, so you can easily get to the interstate or other parts of the city.

Staff was accommodating and pleasant. We decided to spend an extra day and they allowed us to keep the same room at the same room without any hassle!

The room was very nice and the beds were comfortable! I slept very soundly each night.

Room Tip: Ask for a water-view side for views of the Kanawha, the mountains and trains! That said, if you are...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple