“Nice, Clean & Friendly”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with my teen daughters and fiance. The room was clean, and the bathrooms were well appointed. The staff was friendly and helpful -- and they accommodated my request for early checkin, which was refreshing. We ordered room service the afternoon we got there, and it was quite expensive. We put the tray of used dishes outside our door around 4:30P, and when we checked out Sunday morning, it was still there. There were other functions going on in the hotel on 10.16.10, so the evening was rather noisy, but our ability to sleep uninterrupted was wonderful. The room-darkening shades allowed us peaceful rest. We appreciated the cook-to-order breakfast but the depth of the offerings could have been better, i.e., more items, etc. We were disappointed to find there is a $10 charge for parking, as it was just a "drive up and pull in" type of parking lot -- not a parking garage. This information was not made available to me either at the time of making the reservation, nor when checking in -- just when we got our final bill. That left a sour taste in my mouth. In addition, there was a $3 charge on my bill that I have yet to determine the reason for. The cost was very expensive, and there were no deals/specials/discounts available unless I was a senior. However, the hotel is very close to a mall which made it quite easy to walk to a restaurant outside the hotel. overall, a nice hotel, but way too expensive.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
DelamarS, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

Dear JHILL17,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your guestroom and the location of the hotel.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Embassy Suites. We take all comments seriously and appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments. I do apologize for the issue you encoutered with room service and parking. I have shared your feedback with our staff so that we may improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of our staff, please send and email to stacey.delamar@jqh.com, so we may address it with you directly.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed September 30, 2010

The hotel was a big disappointment. Beautiful in the pictures...that's it! It is huge and just two elevators. By the way, just one elevator was working. We had to use the stairs most of the times due to the speed of the only one elevator. The pool is very small and they offer just 9 sunchairs. The room was very dark with very high windows. We felt more like being in a prison. I just want to say that we spent the Memoral Day weekend there. What a memorable experience!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2010

In-room internet access - $9.95 for 24 hours.. I've stayed in Holiday Inn, Marriot, Hampton and other hotels in the last few years. I was unpleasantly suprised that internet wasn't included.

Bottled water in room - $3.00. My bad, I assumed that like some other hotels, they provided me with complimentary water. There was no mini-bar so I incorrectly assumed it was free.

Parking - $9.00 per day. Not complaining about price so much, but they didn't bother to mention it wasn't free when I checked in, just told me where it was. Again, many other hotels are free depending on location.

Parking - I agree with several others here that the parking garage while close, is a bit of a pain. There's not even a sidewalk between the garage and the hotel so you have to walk in the car entrance to get out of the garage.

For a fairly expensive hotel, offering free made-to-order breakfast and free drinks every night I thought their obvious grab for small amounts of money was sad.

I won't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank timkoma
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I have stayed at this Embassy Suites in Charleston WV about a half a dozen times. Always here on business. I have never been dissapointed. Kudos to Mika who was working at the front desk to assist in my checkin and recommendations for where to enjoy dinner and nightlife locally. His suggestions were excellent.

The rooms don't dissapoint either. Very clean and large suites, typical Embassy Suites style.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Boris072
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We were a party of 8 with 2 suites. Arrived on Saturday at around 10 am. We had expected to park, venture out downtown, and come back to check in. When I went to the desk to put in a request for connecting room, we were told the connecting rooms were ready now and we could go ahead and check in--YAY--a wonderful bonus.

The rooms were very nice, spacious, and very clean. We were on an upper floor which also made it nice. We never heard any neighbors, and spent quite a while in the rooms. The pool was an average indoor hotel pool, but fine for a quick swim.

We lucked out and found easy parking in front of the hotel. We left our cars parked, and took advantage of the hotel shuttle when going too far to walk. The lot was small. We didn't see the garage. I could see this being an issue if you wanted to come and go by car. The shuttle drivers were extremely nice and one even took us on a "driving" tour down the river, and by the governor's complex, since it was 90+ and too hot to walk around sight seeing.

My only disappointment was the manager's reception. In the past, hot appetizer foods have been served. This has been replaced with nuts, popcorn, and chex mix. The breakfast was still very good though.

Would definitely return to Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kim0430
Reviewed July 16, 2010

This Hotel was nice. The parking was a little bit of a hassle and that made check in difficult. We were traveling with our young adult children who were in another car and arrive about 10 mins behind us. It was very confusing for them. They had to find us in the drop off zone in front of the hotel so they could get a room key from us, which they needed to get into the parking garage. The managers reception was nice if you drink alcohol. The soda machines dispenses flat and flavorless soda and the snacks consisted of old popcorn and peanuts from a dispenser. Not what I have experienced at other manager receptions.

On the good side, the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, the hotel lobby and atrium were beautiful. The breakfast in the morning was excellent and well stocked (the soda was still bad).

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I usually stay at the Marriott in Charleston, but it isn't all that great so I decided to try Embassy Suites this time. Check-in was fine, but then I had to park in this really crappy garage that was next to the hotel. They did not offer valet parking and they really should because it is a total pain in the butt to haul your luggage through this parking garage. We had to drag it over the curb and walk down the car entrance to the garage to get back to the hotel. Not fun.

The room was okay. Typical Embassy Suites room with the living and bedrooms separate. They do have flat screen t.v.s now. Although the bed was triple-sheeted with the blanket between two sheets, they are still using the gross bedspreads that most decent hotels have done away with. My daughter was going to take a shower and there was no hot water. I called to complain and someone called back and told me that I had to turn on the hot water on the wet bar to get the hot water in the bathroom to work. This was just stupid and I can't believe they hadn't fixed the problem before putting someone in the room. Anyway, it worked and we got a hot shower.

I have to say that when we checked out, the woman I mentioned the water situation to was really great. She asked if anyone had offered to move us to another room and when I told her "no" she comped the movie we had watched and reduced the rate. That was pretty much the high point of our stay. Bottom line is this: Embassy Suites is definitely better than the Marriott if you are staying in Charleston. Neither one is much to get very excited about though. I would recommend it because the rooms are so much bigger than the Marriott's and Hilton (parent company) offers more amenities included in the room rate.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business