“Convenient, clean and pleasant”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have stayed at this conveniently located hotel one weekend a year, every year for several years and hope to continue. The rooms are lovely and comfortable, the staff is always pleasant and the surroundings are restful and pleasing. The breakfast buffet is very good and the evening cocktail hour is acceptable. The desk is very responsive to any requests, complaints, etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Large 2 room suite, great place to stay for business or pleasure. Room rate includes a wonderful breakfast buffet and manager's happy hour. The gift shop was closed but staff were able to accommodate requests for extra amenities. Business center is convenient and easy to use if you need to print a few documents. When making reservation, requested a quiet room. Was at the end of the hallway, perfect location. Couldn't hear anything from the lobby or any other guest room. Room was perfect for business traveler, lots of outlets, good lighting. Comfortable bed. Large vanity in bathroom. Single serve coffee maker in room, also microwave and mini-fridge. Would definitely return. They have a shuttle to and from the airport so no need to take a cab!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My wife and I were treated incredibly rude by the bar tender on the evening of Oct 26. We had dinner at The Chop House, but wanted to bring our dessert back to the hotel in order to have a few drinks at the bar. The bar tender berated us multiple times for eating an outside dessert at the bar, although we were ordering multiple drinks. She accused us of "taking McDonalds to Outback". She did this over and over again, even after we tried to explain and apologize. She even went so far as to over charge me for my drinks, by charging me for doubles when I only ordered singles. I brought this to the hotel management's attention and to my knowledge, nothing was done. Also, the next morning, my bill remained unchanged. This is the worse service experience I have ever had at any Hilton property in all my travels.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John S
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a very comfortable, pleasant hotel that is conveniently located in a nice area near the riverfront in downtown Charleston. The breakfast buffet has an excellent selection of cold and hot foods (including made-to-order omelets), the evening happy hour provides free wine, beer, and specialty drinks in a relaxing atmosphere, rooms are comfortable, hotel staff are pleasant, and parking is plentiful (though $12/day). Really, there is nothing not to like! Well, the pillows were a little lumpy, but given that this was the "worst" of the stay, I would rate the hotel as overall "excellent," especially given that favorable rates are often available.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My daughter and I arrived around 9pm to check in on a Friday night in August. I was lucky enough to find the last parking space available out front when I arrived. When checking in at the very different almost casino table style check in desks (which I think is brilliant by the way) there were two different sets of bridesmaids and brides checking in. They had coolers in tow and were very loud. I looked at the gal checking us in and said," I am not here for a wedding, we would just like to get a good night's sleep because we are back on the road early in the morning. Is it possible to not be near any of them?" She smiled and said, "I don't think that will be a problem at all." We were put on a very high floor in a corner room (right next to some sort of luxury suite). The room was nicely appointed, like any Embassy Suites. The bedroom seemed a little damp when we walked in. During the night when we had the airconditioning unit on the vent above the bedroom door was dripping condensation and with the air blowing it actually blew water droplets onto the bed. The vent cover was rusting so condensation on it must be an issue. I am a light sleeper but could hear the airconditioning unit for the hotel all the way down on the ground. Plus the police/ambulance noise from the street. Maybe staying on the other side of hotel would have been quieter? But then again, I saw the bridesmaides going into rooms on that side so I was fine with the airconditioning unit. Breakfast was fine the next morning. When checking out I mentioned the condensation/dampness in the bedroom. I asked when Embassy Suites started to allow pets. The lady said "We don't allow pets anymore". I mentioned that the back of the bedroom door had been chewed and clawed by a dog. The corner of the door had been eaten and almost a square foot of the door at the corner had been clawed and chewed. Obviously someone snuck in a dog and then left it in the room for some period of time. She said she had an idea of who that was. She took the $12 parking fee off my bill for the condensation inconvenience and thanked me for telling her about the dog damage on the door. When the door is held open you can't see it. We closed the door at night to add a buffer to the lobby/hallway noise and noticed it. We would stay here again when traveling through Charleston.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2013

this hotel has truly the best staff . everyone was cheery and helpful. the shuttle bus driver offered to ferry us to the state capital so we would not miss our daughter's swearing in, to the maid who came and brought us ice when she noticed the ice machine was not working well to the gentleman singing while he was cleaning tables at the manager's reception. the staff is truly attuned to the guest's needs . there were middle school guests, so the manager opened the soda and juice bar so these young guests could share in the reception.

the morning breakfast bar is wonderful. the hot made to order omelets are amazing.

however, the coffee is truly horrible. dish water would be better. please change your coffee service or open a coffee bar with an outside vendor supplying the coffee. the pool while very nice, has far too much chlorine (bathing suit was striped of colour after one visit). lastly, could you fix the windows so they would at least open a crack to allow for fresh air in the room?

have stayed here many times over the years, and will do so in the future.

Room Tip: all rooms are nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were in town for a wedding/ only stayed 1 night this time but this place is very nice/ has great amenities and is right across from the mall! We love the complimentary breakfast/ the chefs do an awesome omelet. Nice sports bar too along with an adequate fitness center/ indoor pool. Only complaint is with parking they charge you $12 a night to self park in a lot adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family