“Allow plenty of time for breakfast!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hotel was nicely decorated and check-in and check-out staff were very nice. As mentioned in other reviews the cleaning does needs to be better- my husband did notice some dirt in the corner of the room. Otherwise the room was great. Breakfast was good- omelette station and the usual eggs/ bacon/etc, waffle-making station, and fruit. it was very crowded at 9:00 am- they were running out of everything. Allow plenty of time for breakfast if you want an omelette or pancakes- the line was long! There was a sign telling you what the busiest times to come there and how much time to allow but I didnt see this sign until we were there. I would recommend allowing 30-45 minutes for breakfast if you want omelettes or pancakes! The kitchen staff was working very hard but it did look like they needed more help. The pool wasn't available but we knew it ahead of time. It is ridiculous they charge for internet connection! Overall a nice place to say and I would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked here because Embassy Suites has been pretty reliable - you know what you are getting -clean, comfortable and safe. The operative word here is tired. The clerk who booked us in seemed tired. Our room was OK but when I moved the nightstand to plug in my phone, the carpet was revealed to be full of debris from peanuts and whatnot - clearly it had not been cleaned thoroughly. When we returned late, we parked in the lot for the first time - the entrance was dark and our room key did not work to let us in. We had to call the front desk and got tired instructions to recite our parking pass number - it's pretty clear that the room key thing rarely works. Most disturbing was the knock on the door at 8 am followed by the door to our room being opened (and then quickly shut when my husband bolted out to the door.) When we complained to the front desk we were told that the "housekeeper starts pretty early." OK but why did she open our door? This seriously creeped me out and I"m glad I wasn't traveling along. I also complained at the website - got a thank you for your complaints and sorry response. Maybe it's me, but in this day and age opening the door to a room at an early hour it's pretty outrageous behavior.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Harrietlou
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Harrietlou

We truly appreciate your candid feedback from your most recent stay at our hotel. I can assure you that your comments have been reviewed by myself and senior management. We are always looking for ways to improve our property and comments like yours help us identify areas that need improvements. We do apologize for falling short of your expectations during your stay and assure your concerns will be addressed. I do hope that you would reconsider staying with us in the future if your travels do bring you back to our area.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip. It is within walking distance to the local mall, parks and several restaurants. There was a bar downstairs, and the drinks were decently priced. The bartender was very nice to me. Hotel is very pretty on the inside, rooms were spacious enough, very clean, and very quiet for staying there Friday-Saturday night. Buffet style breakfast available, that had options and actually tasted good. Would stay again if I ever go to WV.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I pass through Charleston, WV frequently and have always wanted to try Embassy Suites because of location, only put off by the $204/night rack rate and $12 parking fee in the public garage next door. This time the hotel's website had a prominent notice that its pool/whirlpool--a feature we always use--would be out of commission during our stay so I thought we might get our opportunity to at least sample their suites at a lesser rate. But even though we are Hilton Honors members, the desk people refused to negotiate a price any lower than $190, even when I pointed out that they would not be able to offer their full services! So, once again we are passing Embassy Suites by and trying the higher rated Hampton Inn Southridge in virtually the same area for substantially less cost AND free parking. Hopefully we will like it, as the hotel stock in this out-of-the-way city is, in general, mediocre for the high prices they charge, particularly when it's also hard to find good restaurants. (We're told the hotels all key off one another when setting price: for ex., "If Hampton charges $120, we're at least $30 better than they are." Wish the managers would get more real with their rates--or at least offer better deals--because then we'd stay more nights in Charleston instead of zipping through as fast as possible.)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank charlesthebarles

Dear Charlesthebarles

We thank you for considering our hotel for your recent trip. As I read your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations for a low rate and for that, we sincerely apologize dispite the fact the pool was closed. I am very sorry that you chose to stay at another hotel but I hope that you will give us a try now that our pool is fixed and fully operational.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here because we had stayed twice in the past - about 6 years ago. The hotel is still very lovely, but there is a sense that it need freshened up a bit - getting dated. Still a very good value and a good experience overall, other than the chaos trying to get breakfast.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Avoid the restaurant - the food was better than average for a 'sports bar and grill'. However, the service was so poor that it was comical. We had to fend for ourselves, even to the point of fetching our own silverware. Steps of service were non-existent, and slow, and the manager was lacking in even the most basic idea of how to run the front of the house. The rest of the establishment was average at best - our room was dated and in poor condition. With the exception of the check-in staff (and one outstanding busser/waiter in the breakfast area), the balance of the hotel staff was mediocre.

1  Thank Douglas F

Dear Douglas F

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel. We very much appreciate your business.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that you have raised in your review about the restaurant. I was both surprised and deeply disappointed by your recount of your experience with us. I am so sorry that you found our service to be slow and that you weren't provided with an efficient service from our staff. I assure that this is very rare to happen; however, I can certainly empathize with your frustration and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you went through.

Your business is very important to us and I sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity and consider returning again. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me. We are always listening to our guests!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very nice suites, as always. Good value for the area. I like the large bath area and generous couches, fridge, microwave. The 'atrium' facing rooms make noise a challenge. There may have been a party or reception at the atrium/bar/lounge that went on long past midnight, with cheering and noise. I slept through it, but others in our party were bothered. The breakfast is very nice, better than other chains -- with eggs cooked to order, bacon, and plenty of options. Coffee quality is the only downside, with the reconsituted-from-syrup machine not as good as brewed coffee. Key cards malfunctioned multiple times, requiring frustrating trips to the front desk. Parking is just weird. For this location, you have to park at the Shopping Center parking structure and walk around the back of the Embassy Suites past the dumpsters and machinery. It felt more like an alleyway than an entrance. For $12/night, better parking access would be nice, or maybe better signage saying "really, this is the right way."