“Best Hotel in Charleston, WV”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here many times. It is an older property and has some wear but they have redone most of the suites and they are nice. Free Daily Happy hour and snacks are super. Breakfast is good, but get there early so there's no line for the cooked to order food. The hot buffet is average...but free!
Staff is helpful, especially Micah at the front desk. Will definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear JamaJive,

Thank you for your kind comments concerning your stay. They are most appreciated as is the advice you offer fellow travelers about getting to breakfast early, sometimes there are a lot of people who all come down at once.
I hope we will see you again soon for a return visit

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel was dirty, from the guest room/suite to the pool facility. I was in fear for my children's safety in the pool as the rules were severely being broken with no hotel staff rectifying the situation. The food is horrible and not prepared well at all. The housekeeping staff are horrible at preparing the rooms for guests, not only was my room an issue, I overheard another couple complaining about a dirty room when they checked in as well. I would not recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Jason C
I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Our first suite smelled like smoke. One phone call and we were quickly moved to another suite that was fine.

Manager's reception was very nice with fresh fruit, nut mixes chips & salsa, popcorn, hummus, fresh veggies, pita bread, etc. If you are a light eater you will not need supper after this.

The pool area was a little over run by unsupervised tweens, but this seems to be the case at many Embassy Suites.

Room is a little dated but was clean and quiet. We had a corner suite.

Breakfast was good overall, although the muffins and pastries were below average.

Room Tip: Corner suite rooms are larger and have more windows.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Caroline D

Dear Caroline D
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are very happy that you chose our hotel for your recent stay and that we were able to accommodate you in a pleasant room, we are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

I truly apologize if you found our rooms to be outdated. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I sincerely apologize if we were not able to deliver this for you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to improve our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stay here often when we are in town, and it is pretty nice but there are a few issues that need to be worked out.

The hotel is in need of an update but our rooms are always clean. However the restaurant/bar always seems to have service issues. We complained this time because the service was very poor and the manager of the hotel was very nice and made it right.

If you want to stay in town you can't beat their location and the manager's reception and breakfast are always a value for families.

Room Tip: Make sure you try to get a room at the end of each hall, it cuts down on the noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear LoriMacc,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience. I am sorry that you experienced service issues in the restaurant but I do want to thank you for telling the manager and I am very happy that the issue was made right for you.
We will use your comments to improve our operation and I hope that we will see you again in the future

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here recently and have done so for the last 3 years for my daughter's dance competitions. I encountered no major problems. Room and suite was of average cleanliness. We slept well and were not bothered by any noise. We ate breakfast and it was good overall. I have no complaints. I really like being able to walk across the street to the Charleston Towncenter Mall. That is really nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear CK228,

Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay, I am glad that you had a pleasant experience and we will use your comments to improve the guest experience for everyone.
I hope we will see you again in the near future if your travels return you to the area

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I spend three nights at this hotel this past weekend. Friday night started well with check-in and being welcomed as a returning Diamond Hilton Honors member. We had arrived in time for the manager's reception and were very disappointed. Long line for a drink, two nut mixes, chips & salsa, queso dip, sour cream, and jalapenos were the fare. The high mark here was the bartender Chad, exceptional. The other wait staff, disappointing. We decided to check out the hotel restaurant and give it excellent marks, great food, good prices, great staff.
Day two (Saturday) we wanted to start with in-room coffee but the coffee maker was broken. Engineering brought on up right away. Great...then started with the breakfast but was very disappointing, slow almost pathetic staff, poor quality food, burnt bacon, runny scrambled eggs, long lines for the eggs to order. Not expected. Returned late Saturday evening to find housekeeping had never touched our room, Checked with front desk, no excuse..we must have missed it. Went to the pool...disaster, filthy area, no clean towels, again to front desk..oh the towels are in the dryer...they never arrived at the pool area while we were there.
Sunday started with a better breakfast since they were not as busy but cereal containers empty, slow eggs to order but quality ok. Gone for the day but back early enough for the manager's reception and a refreshing change. Chad the bartender again was awesome, food was excellent, pita wedges, great dip, veggies,nut mix, and horseradish dip...this is what I normally see, not sure what happened Friday night.

Overall the hotel is ok, parking is good, Restaurant & bar staff excellent, front desk and housekeeping...not impressed.

This hotel needs to re-focus on customer service. I travel a great deal and use Hilton properties exclusively, this hotel is not worthy of a re-try.

Disappointed Diamond.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Keith S

Dear Keith S
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We visit annually for business and were surprised by the lack of maintenance at this property. As you walk in, you cannot help but notice the dirty floors. The room was not very clean and we told front desk. When we returned to our room at 5:00 it was untouched.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Misspenne
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel specifically regarding the cleanliness of our hotel. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that this issue does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind.