“Cleanliness is questionable!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 27, 2013

At more than $200 bucks per night (not counting the $12 parking even though I DID NOT use the parking garage) Embassy Suites, Charleston is NOT worth the money!!! Walked into my NON-SMOKING room, could smell smoke and an overabundance of carpet fresh/air freshner. Looking out window and evidence (cigarette butts) strewn across rooftop. Trash from previous customer had not been emptied......makes you wonder if the bed linens had been changed!!!! After a shower, the steamed mirror reflected a message someone had written previously, again....cleanliness!!! Made coffee and discovered the used filter from previous customer was STILL in the pot!! I'm beginning to wonder what kind of bugs/germs I brought home with me!!!!
I was sold on this hotel, largely due to the shuttle service. We asked to be picked up at 4:45 to be taken to the Cultural Center......was FINALLY picked up at 5:15, which made us arrive 30 minutes late to our event. On return, waited in the cold for 30 minutes, after being told that someone would be "there within a few minutes." Stay at the Marriott, the Ramada, or even the Holiday Inn.....UGH!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank c k
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear CK

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel specifically regarding the cleanliness of our hotel. I am sorry that you found cigarette buds by the window and that you felt your room was not cleaned thoroughly. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that this issue does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind.

Mark Cherry GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Let's start with the good:
Location (downtown across the street from Town Center Mall and Civic Center)
Nice Lobby/Atrium area
Friendly & helpful staff
Large guest rooms
Beautiful ballroom & event area
Now the bad:
Guest rooms could be cleaner
$12 for garage parking?! This is Charleston, WV...come on.
Busy weekend's can be noisy throughout the facility
Shower only has a partial glass door (odd design)
Price is a little high for the area

A decent stay, and one I would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper levels to avoid noise from the atrium.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear WVguy22,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I appreciate the feedback and we will use your comments to improve our services and facilities for guests in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

If I could rate this hotel a zero, I would. The rooms are dirty; our window wouldn't even latch shut...there was a constant breeze coming through (and when it is 20 degrees outside, this is not pleasant). The hotel staff were unfriendly, unwilling to accommodate, and very negative towards large groups of people.

• Stayed: March 2013
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear MStack929

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel. I am so sorry that you found our rooms to be dirty and that the window would not shut. I was especially disappointed that our staff as unfriendly and unaccommodating. I sincerely apologize if you did not receive the customer service you deserve. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Staff members were exceptionally helpful. Megan took care of our check-in and even laughed at my husband's corny jokes! Micah was quick to switch our room from a king room to a room with two double beds--after we learned there was only a shower (no bathtub) in the bathroom. The suite was spacious and comfortable--very quiet; the view of the courtyard is amazing; We never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. The breakfast (included) is so wonderful! My husband had a made-to-order omelet and I chose from the many choices at the buffet. The courtyard area is inviting and quite beautiful--with lots of plants and running water, too. The mall is right across the street--a big plus for me!

The only thing I would change is to have bathtubs with slanted backs--I like to relax, read and soak in the tub. The backs are straight on the tubs in the suites with double beds.

After breakfast, I told Billie Jo at the front desk about a minor problem in our room and she insisted that she remove the parking fee from our bill. What great customer service from all three--Megan, Micah and Billie Jo!

We're DEFINITELY going back to Embassy Suites in Charleston! It's a great place to stay!

Room Tip: If you want a shower only, choose a king bed suite. If you want a shower/bathtub combo, choose a do...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Zebra71,

Thank you for your review of the hotel from your recent stay. I am glad that you found everything to be satisfactory and that the staff was highly responsive to your needs.
I hope that when your schedule allows we will see you return to our Hotel for another stay.

Regards

Reviewed February 26, 2013

great room service, personel was very friendly, everything at our request. close to town center for shopping, beds very comfortable, will stay again in the future. Met my sister from Ohio there to catch up on things, we were close enough to anything we wanted to do, go to movies, out to dinner, shopping.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Henyone,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am very happy that you had a good time and that you found everything to be excellent.

I hope that you and your sister will return again to the Embassy next time you decide to get together.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

It began with the ride from the airport. I called them and they said 20 min but the van was there in about 15. I check in and asked about a nearby pharmacy and was told it was a half mile away but they could drive me. It was late and I was tired and said I ould go the next day. Manager asked me what I needed and I said some Fisherman's Fiend as I was on the start of a winter cold. A half hour later as I was sitting down to dinner the manager delivered me two boxes of my favorite cough lozenge. Wow!
Dinner (a start of a cold I needed some comfort food)- a burger - I asked how rare they could do and they were honest and said it was a frozen patty and was best medium and a nice local ale on tap. But honest and efficient.
Room was very clean; everything worked, wake up calls on time, breakfast was eggs as you like them and a buffet.
Staff were very friendly ad helpful. Would stay again!!!

Room Tip: 7th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Dan S,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay. I will pass along your sincere thanks to our staff for the exceptional service that you received and I am glad that you will consider the hotel again if your travels return you to the area.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Embassy Suites in Charleston is in a great location. The hotel itself is your typical Embassy Suites, very nice inside, clean, comfortable beds. The cooked to order breakfast and evening reception is very nice. The hotel is located across from Charleston Town Center which is a decent sized mall with a varying array of restaurants. You can easily walk downtown or to the Civic Center for events, to the river for a concert, etc. There is no parking at the Embassy, only valet parking and I'm not sure the fee associated with parking. All in all a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LF253,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad that you found everything to be satisfactory and you enjoyed your stay. I hope we will have the opportunity to have you as a guest again in the future,