“Awful Experience”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Awful Experience”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

If I could rate this hotel a zero, I would. The rooms are dirty; our window wouldn't even latch shut...there was a constant breeze coming through (and when it is 20 degrees outside, this is not pleasant). The hotel staff were unfriendly, unwilling to accommodate, and very negative towards large groups of people.

• Stayed March 2013
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear MStack929

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel. I am so sorry that you found our rooms to be dirty and that the window would not shut. I was especially disappointed that our staff as unfriendly and unaccommodating. I sincerely apologize if you did not receive the customer service you deserve. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise.

Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Mark Cherry GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Fairmont, WV
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Staff members were exceptionally helpful. Megan took care of our check-in and even laughed at my husband's corny jokes! Micah was quick to switch our room from a king room to a room with two double beds--after we learned there was only a shower (no bathtub) in the bathroom. The suite was spacious and comfortable--very quiet; the view of the courtyard is amazing; We never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. The breakfast (included) is so wonderful! My husband had a made-to-order omelet and I chose from the many choices at the buffet. The courtyard area is inviting and quite beautiful--with lots of plants and running water, too. The mall is right across the street--a big plus for me!

The only thing I would change is to have bathtubs with slanted backs--I like to relax, read and soak in the tub. The backs are straight on the tubs in the suites with double beds.

After breakfast, I told Billie Jo at the front desk about a minor problem in our room and she insisted that she remove the parking fee from our bill. What great customer service from all three--Megan, Micah and Billie Jo!

We're DEFINITELY going back to Embassy Suites in Charleston! It's a great place to stay!

Room Tip: If you want a shower only, choose a king bed suite. If you want a shower/bathtub combo, choose a do...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Zebra71,

Thank you for your review of the hotel from your recent stay. I am glad that you found everything to be satisfactory and that the staff was highly responsive to your needs.
I hope that when your schedule allows we will see you return to our Hotel for another stay.

Regards

Whitesville, West Virginia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

great room service, personel was very friendly, everything at our request. close to town center for shopping, beds very comfortable, will stay again in the future. Met my sister from Ohio there to catch up on things, we were close enough to anything we wanted to do, go to movies, out to dinner, shopping.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Henyone,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am very happy that you had a good time and that you found everything to be excellent.

I hope that you and your sister will return again to the Embassy next time you decide to get together.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed February 24, 2013

It began with the ride from the airport. I called them and they said 20 min but the van was there in about 15. I check in and asked about a nearby pharmacy and was told it was a half mile away but they could drive me. It was late and I was tired and said I ould go the next day. Manager asked me what I needed and I said some Fisherman's Fiend as I was on the start of a winter cold. A half hour later as I was sitting down to dinner the manager delivered me two boxes of my favorite cough lozenge. Wow!
Dinner (a start of a cold I needed some comfort food)- a burger - I asked how rare they could do and they were honest and said it was a frozen patty and was best medium and a nice local ale on tap. But honest and efficient.
Room was very clean; everything worked, wake up calls on time, breakfast was eggs as you like them and a buffet.
Staff were very friendly ad helpful. Would stay again!!!

Room Tip: 7th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Dan S,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay. I will pass along your sincere thanks to our staff for the exceptional service that you received and I am glad that you will consider the hotel again if your travels return you to the area.

Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Embassy Suites in Charleston is in a great location. The hotel itself is your typical Embassy Suites, very nice inside, clean, comfortable beds. The cooked to order breakfast and evening reception is very nice. The hotel is located across from Charleston Town Center which is a decent sized mall with a varying array of restaurants. You can easily walk downtown or to the Civic Center for events, to the river for a concert, etc. There is no parking at the Embassy, only valet parking and I'm not sure the fee associated with parking. All in all a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LF253,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad that you found everything to be satisfactory and you enjoyed your stay. I hope we will have the opportunity to have you as a guest again in the future,
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

An alright stay, like other reviewers have mentioned it took awhile to get used to the showers because of the open gap. Forget about relaxing in there hottub or pool as there was about 30 kids- yes I counted 30 and only 2 adults supervising. I can't believe the hotel would let this many kids in a pool of this size let alone only 2 adults supervising!! Called and complained but really didn't help because when we went back down next day hoping to get a swim before we left, guess what?! Yep they were there. They also invaded the hottub. Will try one more time but if it's like this again will not be back. Breakfast was superb, made to order omelets and a wide variety to choose from, would have to say one of the best breakfasts a hotel could offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Jess M

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast, we are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

I truly apologize if you found our hotel was overrun by children and because of this, you were unable to enjoy our pool and hot tub. I thank you for bringing-up this issue to my attention so that I can inform our security department to closely monitor unsupervised children. Our guests safety is our main concern and I thank you for your comments. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I assure you that your comments will only help us improve our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.

Thanks
Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Showers do not have a curtain. There is a glass panel that only goes half way down the shower and creates a mess of splashing water all over the floor. We were doing a conference for the WV Youth Ministry and had multiple rooms. I paid for all rooms...but the hotel charged our corporate card AND the individual's cards...that is called "double dipping" and it is WRONG. This incompetence is unacceptable from a hotel with the Hilton Brand name!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear RFazzalore

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that there were some billing errors that have not yet been resolved and I understand Ryan at the hotel has been working with the group contact to correct the situation. I can assure you that we never meant to intentionally mislead your guests in any way and that any billing errors have been taken care of and I sincerely apologize for any misunderstandings.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to host you or your group again if your travels return you to the Charleston area.