“Great Hotel!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
NC
“Great Hotel!!!”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Me and my gf needed a weekend away from work. so we decided to give this hotel a shot. we stayed in alot of embassy suites. and i think this is a great hotel!

We got to check in early like 145 which is great. got our room on the 6 floor. just a great room that i was expectable. We went to the pool and the sauna which was great. The only complain that somebodys kid got on back in the pool. he was just a small boy. nobody was paying attention anyway. IF you have kids please watch them they are not the only people in the hotel and i dont like stress. anyhoo no biggie just a complaint. There is a little store in the hotel which was great. Also there was a business center which was great so i can check my works email. We ate at chillis at the mall it was okay nothing fancy buy good.

We went downstairs to the bar which was great and relaxing. Prices were high but okay.

The best part of the hotel was the breakfast that is the best. So much variety anything you want they got it there. lots of choices.

I guess there was a basketball tourney at the civic center alot of kids there. This is a great hotel to relax and just take a break from life and work. me and my gf will be back.

• Liked — The breakfast, pool, rooms
  • Disliked — parents NOT watching their kids running around in the pool and in the hotel.!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Martinsburg, WV
Reviewed December 8, 2007

I arrived at the hotel on a Sunday afternoon, in the pouring rain. After a five hour drive, it was nice to be greeted by such a friendly staff. The bell service there, both upon my arrival and my departure was wonderful. The room was very spacious and very, very clean. The hotel is within walking distance to the Civic Center and right across the street from the Mall. I ate in the hotel's restaraunt and it was very good. Try the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake! I had to leave one day early because of impending weather, and there wasn't a problem with that.
The morning breakfast is very good - eggs, biscuits, fruit, bagels, sausage, the works. Complimentary USA today every day. On site fitness center, pool, and restaraunt. Cocktails and snacks each evening.
I would happily stay there again.

• Liked — The room had a kitchenette
  • Disliked — The sound of the Christmas music from the mall.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed June 2, 2007

I was in Charleston for business and stayed at the Embassy Suites for two nights (Thursday and Friday). As is customary for the Embassy Suites they had a cocktail hour for guests in the afternoon and breakfast in the morning. There is security at all the entrances, and wondering the lobby, at night. There is a parking garage adjacent to the property which also has security patrols. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. There were wedding receptions both nights I was there which gave the lobby a festive, family reunion type, atmosphere. House keeping was short staffed and they did not make it to my room until 5:30 p.m., but the lady was very apologetic and did an excellent job. Although there is a podium for a valet, and there are some spots out front roped off, they do not have a valet or bellman! I think they should eliminate the podium, and the illusion that someone is going to come out and help you! Over all it was a pleasant stay. That said it lacked the attention to detail, service, and extras of most city hotels. In Charleston you are limited to the Marriott or the Embassy Suites next time I will try the Marriott, but I would not hesitate to stay at the Embassy Suites again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank UDSL05
Winfield, WV
Reviewed December 17, 2006

We stayed here for one night only, Thank God. It was our honey moon and my parents had booked the hotel the night before. When we arrived however they stated that they could not give us a room because they needed my mother to be there since she booked it. So there we were in my wedding gown and his tux being told we had no room. My parents had to find a fax machine and fax a copy of their credit card and sign the bottom of the page. I completey understand policy however the staff did not have to treat us like we were nothing. We paid the same price every one else did and we were treated like someone who just walked in off the street. We even had a reciept number that was given to my parents. The only good thing about this hotel was the room. It was nice and had a good veiw. I would however never stay here again!!!!! However I would recommend the Marriott right down the road. It is much nicer.

• Liked — The room.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!!!!
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Hersman403
Burlington
Reviewed October 23, 2006

This was our third stay in five years at the Embassy Suites in Charleston. We loved it the first time, loved it this time too. Spacious rooms, lovely atrium, wonderful breakfast, excellent service, friendly staff, comfortable bed, 2 rooms is great, location in downtown wonderful. Free shuttle service within a 5 mile radius of the hotel, free parking, reasonable price. "Home away from home". We have noticed the quality/quantity of food at the Managers Reception has declined over the years, but we are being picky.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Yamato
Metro Detroit
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I've stayed at this hotel twice now, and it's alright. The breakfast is the highlight of the hotel, great service from the morning staff.

I arrived late after a long day of delayed flights (almost midnight) and was given grief over not having my AAA card with me (it's in my travel profile), and was informed by the gentleman that I'd encounter problems at check out if I couldn't provide the card (which was not true, I checked out fine). I told him if I didn't have it with me then, I wasn't going to have it at check out either, so he could remove the discount (which he didn't do).

The bed linens were clean, but the bed skirt was all stringy on one of the bed, like it had been vacuumed a time or 2 too many.

What grossed me out is the glop of someone else's toothpaste drippings that sat on the bathroom faucet all 3 days.

I'll be staying at the Marriott my next visit, which was my first choice, but was sold out.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Bellesie
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 19, 2006

We stayed at Embassy Suites - Charleston in August, 2006 for one night. We always love the layout of Embassy Suites in general with the large open foyer and the suite set up for us and our 3 year old, but this Embassy took everything one step further. Everyone was so nice and willing to help us, in a lot of little ways - for instance, the hotel restaurant not only had a kids menu (a feature that some other Embassy hotels don't offer), but the hostess gave us a copy of the kids menu so we could have it with us in case we wanted to order down from the room on another night, and included extra ketchup with our order without prompting. The facilities were great - the pool was fairly large and well lit, the beds were great, and the hotel is just next to the mall, so there are plenty of restaurants in walking distance. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family