“impressed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had never stayed at an Embassy Suites before. I really was impressed by the layout of the hotel and the size of the rooms. There was a very large atrium inside and a decorative water display with coi fish in it. Has the manager's evening happy hour which was nice. You could get a free drink after being in meetings all day. Had a restaurant inside the hotel which had pretty decent food but a little pricey. Staff are very pleasant and helpful. My room was way bigger than what I really needed but it was nice to relax in a living room environment and then go to bed. Didn't get to try the breakfast but I heard it is excellent. One thing I was a little surprised by is that they charge hotel patrons $12 to park overnight, even though you are a guest.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jaime P
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Jamie P,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel and your recent stay. It is our pleasure to have you as a guest and I hope that your travels will return you often to the Charleston area

Mark Cherry GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've stayed here consistently over the past 5-years and really like the upgrades to the linens and bathrooms. These were much needed and made my stay more enjoyable. The gym has also been upgraded in the past few years and is on par with any upscale hotel. Everything else is standard Embassy Suites - breakfast, managers reception and warm WV hospitality.

Plan to drop your luggage at the front - if you're traveling with a family it can be a haul from the parking garage. Ask for a corner room for extra space!

Now if they would just upgrade the old couches...

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Friendaza1
Mark C, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Friendaza1,

Thank you for visiting our hotel once again and for your comments concerning your stay. I am pleased to let you know that we will be receiving new couches and side chairs in time for the New Year.
We all look forward to your return and once again, Thanks

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This is my 3rd stay here in about a month. I am a Hilton Diamond member and have been for 10 years plus.

I am very realistic about what to expect and what are normal issues.

Every stay has had some issue with the room. 2 of which I needed to be moved to another room.

First stay, the room had the carpet cleaned, but was left soaked with no warning. When I took of my shoes I got a nasty wet surprise. (Room Changed)

Second stay, the sleeper part of the sofa was broken making the whole couch un-sitable. So unless I wanted to watch TV only in the bedroom I needed a new room.
Also, on this stay I was left a Diamond member snack basket. The only one on 3 different stays. However, after a couple of days someone actually took the M&Ms out of it. I am guessing cleaning staff wanted a snack.

3rd stay, the fridge is open and completly off. I check the settings to make sure it is on and then call the front desk. I am asked to make sure it is plugged in. I than pull the fridge out and comfirm it is plugged in. Then they send someone. Also, the fridge was nasty. When I mention it to the Maintenance person I get a reply, " yeah it is". No I'll send some to clean it or anything.

This place needs major room upgrades.

Like many hotels they spend the money on the lobby only.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Techtravler
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Techtraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to review your previous experiences at my hotel thru Trip Advisor and personally with me via e-mail. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the future

Regards

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here when traveling through WV for years. It is by far the most comfortable hotel in the Charleston area. The breakfast is excellent. Manager's reception in evenings is nice. Our rooms have been spacious and comfortable. No exhaust fan in bath. WiFi and Parking are extra unless you book with handicap access.

Room Tip: Handicap Rooms are NOT near elevator
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaulMcLean_Virginia
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear PaulMcLean,

Thank you for sharing your comments concerning your recent stay. I appreciate your saying that our hotel is the most comfortable in WV and also your comments about the breakfast and managers reception. I also appreciate your comments about the bathroom fan, all our exhaust fans are located on the roof to avoid the in room noise, that said I will have our staff check to be sure that all are operating properly.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again when your travels return you to the Charleston area

Reviewed September 24, 2012

You can't beat the location (right across the street from the mall and restaurants). We stayed here while visiting a family member at College of Charleston (a short drive). Parking is easy when you can get a spot, but the overflow garage is not far if you don't. The breakfast is good, but they only have waffles on weekdays. Manager's reception was a great perk. Friendly staff. Room was immaculate- I especially liked the big bathroom that was more updated than most other hotels I have stayed in. So clean. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lkmage00

Dear Ikmage00,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Embassy Suites and thank you for your kind comments.

I will share your kind words with the staff. I hope we will see you again soon on a return trip to Charleston

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in the handicapped room not long ago. First, it smelled like smoke. Second, there was no fan in the bathroom, so my mom was sweating in there and not too comfortable. Maybe the other rooms are nice, I don't know. Looks nice in the lobby area. The breakfast was great.

Room Tip: Check out your room before agreeing to buy it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Susan V

Thank you for your review of your recent stay and your concerns about the freshness of your guest room. I shared your feedback with the hotel team and we are actively be researching our options for refreshing our guest rooms.
I apologize for your experience, but am glad you enjoyed our breakfast offerings and rated the service so highly. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Hilton has some great properties, this is just so, so. Corner rooms are huge and were a bonus, especially if you are traveling with more than two. Parking is pricey, and the deck is not connected to the hotel, space in front is limited. Everone is tring to make an extra buck, but htis is borderline.

Mattresses seem to be dated, not up to typical Hilton properties. Breakfast was okay, cook to order omelets and eggs were the highlights. Reception in the evening was a bit disappointing and very crowded. Munches were stale. All in all only average.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Mark C, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear David L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Embassy Suites. I appreciate your comments and concerns and we will use them to improve future stays for all our guests.

I hope that if your travels return you to the area that we will have the opportunity to serve you again