“For the price you pay free wifi should be included”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I have stayed here a number of time and I'm sure I'll be back. it is a nice place and good location and the staff is top notch.

My only grip is that they charge for wifi.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ajayhawkfan

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Nice quality stay. Comfortable, spacious, and no surprises. You've done it again Hilton, Embassy Suites are very nice. Only complaint I have is in the proximity of the parking to the hotel. It was pouring rain when I arrived, and having to park in a lot a block away is not fun when you have items to carry. The room was very nice, comfortable, clean and well equipped. I couldn't get the TV remote to work in the main living area of the room for some reason, but it was not worth calling about since I was tired and watched tv in the bedroom instead, but for future guests I was in room 819. Please check it for future users.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank gliddle1
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We were running away from the hurricane that was going to hit the coast. We have not stayed her for about 6 years this was one of our favorite Embassy Suites but got a little pricey. We always told ourselves we will get back. The hurricane gave us a pretty good reason. We road all night we were not sure if a room would be ready, but was hoping that it would be. When my husband checked us in the man said the room was ready and we could enjoy the full cook to order breakfast. We were so happy we had my husband's parents with us and they had to take medicine it was right on time they was bone tired from the 6 hour ride. The employees were very friendly. I go to school and had to finish my school work online. I had to pay for the Wi-Fi. No problem I knew that from the start. I had problems with getting online. I called the front desk the young lady said hold on she come back on the phone with a code for complimentary Wi-Fi. The cook staff from breakfast was great smiling and friendly. I will not wait 6 more years before I come back again. I am planning a trip in October.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveler757
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My sister and I recently spent three nights at the Embassy Suites during a WV road trip. The hotel is very nice, staff is friendly and service is great. My sister has problems walking, so we requested a room close to the elevator. When the bell hop took us to our room, it was about as far away from the elevator as possible. I told him that my sister had problems walking and he immediately called his manager and had our room switched to a room right by the elevators. I did not get his name, but he was very nice and helpful.

The room had two queen beds, living room with couch, chair, table, wet bar, refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave. It was very comfortable, as were the beds. Linens were good quality. I do think that management needs to take a close look at housekeeping. There was only one trash can (in the bathroom) to service the whole suite. The carpet was in bad need of cleaning. The furniture was showing it’s age, or at the very least needed cleaning. The mirror in our room looked as if something had been spilled on it. The coffee pot was not cleaned and coffee was not restocked.

The hotel charges for parking and internet. Breakfast is complimentary and they offered eggs made to order. Every evening between 5:30 and 7:30, there is a manager’s reception with complimentary beverages and snacks.

The best part of the hotel was Arnold, the bartender at the Athletic Bar and Grill. Arnold was wonderful and could not do enough to make sure guests were happy. He knew all the repeat guests and made it a point to know all the new ones. He had many stories to tell and kept us entertained. He also provided information on what to do and where to eat. Arnold is a very special person. I would make a return trip to Charleston, just to see him.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank pletzkeb
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Booked through expedia and paid in full in advance. Gave them my card at check in for incidentals. Checked out the same day as planned in the evening. Called front desk to inform them I was checking out and covered the bill for parking. Next day they charged my card for the full price. Called to let them know and they said expedias card declined so they billed mine and they would fix it. After repeated calls and horrible unhelpful service they still haven't corrected the error. I will never stay here again and will go to the Marriott from now on

1  Thank clark314
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stoped here on our way home from myrtle beach, the hotel is very nice, big, and classy. Diner was a bit pricey, bit the free breakfest in the morning made u for it. Full ommlete bar, pancakes, Bacon, sasauge, Home fries, sasauge gravy, u vet the idea...

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here en route from Ohio to Virginia via a drive on the Midland Trail. Location is terrific for a quick stop off the freeway, Check in was easy. We asked for some advice for evening activities with kids and despite the fact that the hotel was old out for the weekend, everybody who helped us acted like they had all the time in the world to help us. We ended up taking a stroll to the baseball game just up the road. Couldn't have had a more pleasant evening. The room was standard 1980s hotel decor. Could stand a little updating but it was liveable. The bathroom has been updated and was pretty nice. Bed was very comfortable. Room was spacious. It was not super clean, though. There were dust bunnies everywhere. No bugs though, and the bathroom was fine. Check out was a little nuts. Given that hotel was a sellout, it was tricky to get a valet and/or cart. We waited about 45 minutes. But all in all, including a huge breakfast, easy location, and stellar helpful staff it was a pleasant stay.