“An Amazing Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
West Virginia
“An Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I had the most wonderful weekend of my life! The amazing people responsible for the execution of our day made it possible for me to have the most beautiful memories and the most special experience anyone could ever have. The decision my now husband and I made to have our wedding ceremony at The Hillbrook Inn could never ever be labeled anything less than perfect. The staff treated us as royalty and went above and beyond what I could have expected. My special wedding coordinator Marcy tended to every single detail.
The planning was on point, and every detail that I had specified, from my flowers right down to the details of my cake were more than I had dreamed. Marcy formed us a timeline that kept everything on time starting and ending. They made suggestions that worked perfectly and additions that made things more than I could have ever imagined! She listened to me when I had concerns and adjustments without dispute throughout the planning process.
I actually cannot think of one thing I had wanted that they said no to. If they did, they didn't let me know it, they just made alternatives that were better than my requests.
After everything was over, my husband and I left the ground to attend a family gathering after our intimate wedding ceremony at Hillbrook. Upon returning, all of our ceremony flowers, including my bouquet and centerpieces were lovingly put into glass vases and decorated our cottage. It was a perfect and a very romantic touch. I gave Marcy my iPhone earlier in the day to use for my first dance in the tavern, she used the camera and took pictures of my ceremony setup while I was too busy getting ready, I only discovered this after the fact. I completely cried because I never did get to see it before everything started. She just knew what to do to make everything perfect.
Besides all of those details, the food was WONDERFUL! We had our brunch chosen from our own selections and every guest was so full from eating all the food, there wasn't any room leftover for my cake :-) Which was okay, because I was full too. Our breakfast in the dining room before we left was also delicious. My husband does not care for yogurt, so when our first course was a yogurt parfait, he immediately handed over his dish for me to have. The waitress noticed when she returned and very nicely offered him a bowl of fruit instead. Although the menu is prefixed for everyone, they make small alternatives to accommodate to individual tastes.
We stayed in the Summer Cottage and plan to return to it every year. The wonderful King sized bed is so comfortable. I always have an issue sleeping in beds that are not my own, but I slept very peacefully in this one. The cottage is so inviting with the fireplace, the furniture, decor, large Jacuzzi tub, and everything else. There was just so many positives that I would never ever be able to describe it all in this review.
All that is left to say is that my husband and I plan to return to this wonderful place as often as we can be allowed. A part of both of our hearts were left behind when we left. The grounds and buildings are so breathtaking that even the strongest/uptight man would not be able to deny the beauty. Tears were definitely shed at our departure.

Room Tip: The cottages have everything you need, but my brother stayed in the main house at The Overlook. Very...
1 Thank carianneh24
Cari,
I deeply appreciate your heartfelt comments and truly enjoyed reading the highlights of your special day. You captured the essence of what we try to do here at Hillbrook. We believe weddings and events are not cookie cutter - instead, they're tailored to the personality and needs of each couple. We intend to make sure every detail is covered so you can relax and enjoy your day. I'm so glad to hear you received that experience and then some! We hope you will make it a tradition to celebrate your anniversary with us every year. We look forward to seeing you again next June, if not sooner!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Thanks for a special anniversary getaway - the food was wonderful, the Fall Cottage was spacious and romantic, grounds were beautiful, and everyone was very friendly. We also had a super relaxing couples' massage. The only thing that could have been better would have been larger portion sizes for breakfast. Next time I'll just ask and not be shy! (can you do that?) Thanks to Bobbie for welcoming us and showing us around. Looking forward to coming back again...

Brian,
Thank you for coming to celebrate your anniversary with us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Fall cottage and your relaxing couples massage. I was disappointed, however, to hear about the portion sizes at breakfast, as we normally make sure our guests leave with their bellies full! In fact, many times the Chef will offer seconds after they've served everyone, so please don't hesitate to ask for more of something the next time you're here. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We arrived at the Hillbrook on June 1st, and stayed for three nights in the Bamford suite. We were celebrating our anniversary and "baby-moon". We had a truly wonderful time at the Hillbrook.

The Bamford suite was a pleasant room, with nice character. I liked the old wood and smoke smell through the room(Bamford still had a wood fireplace). We had a private porch with a beautiful view, and private drive. The tall bed provided a nice nights sleep. The wifi was not good enough to stream anything, but that was just a small complaint we had. The water pressure and temperature was always good.

Our first night, we ate at the Hillbrook. Chef Justin prepared our three course dinner, and we had a potato and leek soup and filet, and the entire dinner was delicious.

Our last night we also ate at the Hillbrook. That morning, Chef Roslyn came and spoke with us, and let us know we would be the only ones for the five course dinner. She allowed us to give our input for what we would like for dinner. We had a scallop and corn chowder, salad with roasted walnuts, filet, salmon and a wonderful chocolate-rasberry dessert. The entire meal was delicious, and Chef Roslyn made our dinner truly memorable. We had mentioned to Chef Roslyn that we were going to watch TV in the main room later, and when we went down there later, we found Chef Roslyn had left us a pitcher of ice water. Chef Roslyn really did make sure we had a great time, thank you!

Our breakfast every morning was always fresh and delicious.

The main inn and grounds are beautiful, and we took advantage of walking the property, and taking photographs throughout.

We got couple massages, with my wife getting the prenatal massage and facial. The massages were nice and relaxing.

We visited the area, and told a few people we were staying at the Hillbrook. They always asked if we ate there, and proceeded to excitedly tell us of their dining experience at the Hillbrook.

Everyone at the Hillbrook was friendly, helpful and made sure we had a great experience.

We had a great and memorable time at the Hillbrook, and came home and told everyone. We would enjoy staying at the Hillbrook again, and hopefully we will be able to again.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Anniversaries and babymoons are great reasons for a romantic getaway at Hillbrook Inn. We're glad you came to stay with us!

Thank you for sharing your experience about our fine dining and staying in the Bamford suite. Within a couple of weeks, the bathroom in the Bamford suite will be completely remodeled, making the accommodations even more inviting. Hopefully you'll get the chance to see it the next time you're here!

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I have been frequenting Hillbrook for about the last year and a half, and I probably should have written this review a long time ago! From our very first visit, all of the staff have made us feel welcome and comfortable. I don't think they have ever declined a request! The rooms are immaculate and every design detail has been well thought out. The spa is quaint and all the staff are professional.

The food is impeccable and Chef Justin pairs unsuspecting flavors to create a wonderful meal. The five course dinner is a must in our opinion. You miss out on two great courses when choosing the three course! The staff are so courteous during dinner and are always helpful, but give you plenty of privacy as well. Breakfast is so much fun to wake up to in the morning. We have never had a bad dining experience!

As far as the rooms are concerned, the serenity suite is amazing if you are looking for a romantic getaway. When coming with friends, we enjoy the Hawthorn House due to the billiard room and comfortable common areas.

The guest experience is their upmost priority and they keep things fresh with new experiences and activities. We have had a wonderful time making s'mores by the fire pit and listening to live music in the tavern.

There are plenty of things to do in the area as well. The casino and race track are about a 10 minute drive and there is a quaint farmer's market in town on Saturday mornings. Also, the Bloomery Plantation Distillery is a short drive and offers entertaining limoncello tastings that shouldn't be missed. You are a short drive from numerous wineries and Harper's Ferry as well. There is truly something for everyone!

All that being said, the staff make the experience unforgettable! They are laid back, great conversationalists, attentive, and helpful. We make Hillbrook a part of our regular travel plans due to the relaxing getaway it provides while still having outstanding dining experiences and convenient entertainment. We recommend it to everyone without hesitation!

Room Tip: The rooms at Hawthorn are beautiful and more modern, but you do have to drive a short few miles to t...
Chelsea,
Thank you for sharing your experience about Hillbrook being a "home away from home." That's certainly the philosophy we strive for when welcoming our guests. We're so glad you've been able to enjoy so many aspects of the Hillbrook experience, from our fine dining and spacious suites to the local area attractions. We appreciate your continued business and look forward to seeing you again next weekend!

springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

A year ago, my office presented me with a gift certificate to the inn as a gift. I took advantage of it when my sister joined me on one of our sister trips to the local civil war battlefield. We stayed in the summer cottage next to the main building. It was heaven! There was a fire place, large living area and bathroom. Two sisters need a large bathroom when traveling. The main building was relazing with a great breakfast served each morning. The staff was very friendly. We walked the grounds and watched as deer walked by the large chess board that is located near some trees. There is a small stream near by that flowed through the small grove that surrounded the whole location. As we drove up to the Inn, it reminded us of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. We hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: My sister looked on line at the rooms and picked the one that had the best view from the window.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for coming to visit us and for sharing your experience. Hillbrook Inn is located near several historic sites, so it's a great place to stay if you're interested in exploring Harpers Ferry or Antietam Battlefield. We're glad you and your sister were able to enjoy the area, as well as our beautiful grounds and the Summer cottage. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Chantilly, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Hillbrook is beautiful and only a hour away from northern VA. The grounds are stunning and the main house looks right out of a fairytale. Everyone was so nice and it was so peaceful and clean. I was truly impressed. I read great reviews before I arrived and it was still better then I could have imagined. Everything was perfect and I would not have changed anything. We stayed in the Winter cottage and it was so spacious and nice. There was a huge bathroom, king size bed and a fire place.

The food at Hillbrook was a tad pricey but really good. I would recommend it.

I don't like to go places twice because I like to try new things, but I need to return to Hillbrook.

Room Tip: There is a mainhouse, a hawthrone house (I didn't see it, it was further) and cottages. All very...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Tina,
Thank you for the glowing review! It's great to hear that the photos and reviews exceeded your expectations. We strive to ensure each guest has a memorable experience when they visit Hillbrook Inn. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hillbrook in March. Everyone there was welcoming and very accommodating. The grounds are beautiful. It's close to things to do a short drive away.

The breakfasts were so good and we had the five course meal with wine pairing one of the nights and it was absolutely outstanding. You can tell the chef's have a real creative flair.

We stayed in the Snuggery and while it is a small room,the size of the room was not an issue for us. However, the there is barely enough room to get to other side of the bed past the wardrobe and we're not big people by any means. Also,this room only has a bathtub with a handheld shower head, which is not ideal for most people. It was fine for the two nights, but next time I'd choose a different room.

Overall a wonderful and relaxing getaway for us.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank bmorerunner
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for visiting us this past March. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the meals, grounds and local attractions. I also appreciate your feedback about the Snuggery room. In fact, we agree with you and are in the process of completely renovating the entire space. It will have newly finished wood floors, freshly painted walls, and a full stand-up shower for guests to enjoy. I hope you'll be back again soon so you can see the updates for yourself!

Owners/Innkeeper
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
#1 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
4.0 of 5 stars 239 reviews

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!