“Better then the pictures online”
Review of Hillbrook Inn

Hillbrook Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Chantilly, Virginia
“Better then the pictures online”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Hillbrook is beautiful and only a hour away from northern VA. The grounds are stunning and the main house looks right out of a fairytale. Everyone was so nice and it was so peaceful and clean. I was truly impressed. I read great reviews before I arrived and it was still better then I could have imagined. Everything was perfect and I would not have changed anything. We stayed in the Winter cottage and it was so spacious and nice. There was a huge bathroom, king size bed and a fire place.

The food at Hillbrook was a tad pricey but really good. I would recommend it.

I don't like to go places twice because I like to try new things, but I need to return to Hillbrook.

Room Tip: There is a mainhouse, a hawthrone house (I didn't see it, it was further) and cottages. All very...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Tina,
Thank you for the glowing review! It's great to hear that the photos and reviews exceeded your expectations. We strive to ensure each guest has a memorable experience when they visit Hillbrook Inn. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hillbrook in March. Everyone there was welcoming and very accommodating. The grounds are beautiful. It's close to things to do a short drive away.

The breakfasts were so good and we had the five course meal with wine pairing one of the nights and it was absolutely outstanding. You can tell the chef's have a real creative flair.

We stayed in the Snuggery and while it is a small room,the size of the room was not an issue for us. However, the there is barely enough room to get to other side of the bed past the wardrobe and we're not big people by any means. Also,this room only has a bathtub with a handheld shower head, which is not ideal for most people. It was fine for the two nights, but next time I'd choose a different room.

Overall a wonderful and relaxing getaway for us.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank bmorerunner
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for visiting us this past March. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the meals, grounds and local attractions. I also appreciate your feedback about the Snuggery room. In fact, we agree with you and are in the process of completely renovating the entire space. It will have newly finished wood floors, freshly painted walls, and a full stand-up shower for guests to enjoy. I hope you'll be back again soon so you can see the updates for yourself!

Owners/Innkeeper
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed at the Hillbrook Inn this past weekend. It was a surprise for my husband's birthday.

We stayed in the North Suite in the Hawthorne. For one, the Hawthorne house is just beautiful!! Our room was fabulous and very roomy. The Inn Keeper, Ricardo, was so friendly and helpful. He really made it a special weekend!!

Marcy helped us get a room on a booked weekend by calling me as soon as there was a cancellation. She was so helpful and got our reservation for breakfast, dinner, and the spa all taken care of so there was nothing to worry about when we got there.

On to the food! Oh my goodness, all I can say is amazing!!! I can tell you the chef prepared the most amazing dinner dishes we have ever had. The breakfast was just as impressive.

Overall this place is fabulous and we will DEFINITELY be going back!

Thank you so much!!

• Stayed April 2014
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review. I love hearing how much you enjoyed the food and that our staff made your stay extra special. It was our pleasure to help make your husband's birthday surprise a success. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Owner/Inkeeper
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was lucky enough to celebrate my birthday with 30 friends at Hillbrook this weekend. I don't think it is possible to say enough about the how incredibly special the staff made me and my entire group feel. We had cocktails and dinner (shrimp the size of your fist as a starter) and Filet Mignon that melted in your mouth! Justin the chef is a magician! Bobbie Z. coordinated our event, and was on top of every item. They took guest's food issues (gluten free, aversion to cheese) and catered to them individually, and handled last minute changes in stride (one person dropped out due to illness, and a few others had to leave early in the morning...she adjusted our bill accordingly, which we would have NEVER asked for). The rooms here as so, so lovely and each of our guests reported lovely interactions with the staff. A particular gem is the the Hawthorn house...it has a huge kitchen, four rooms, a pool table with darts and several living spaces. It was a perfect place to have a pre-welcome to our guests who arrived early before the event. If you are looking for a place to have an event I simply could not give a stronger endorsement. I feel so, so lucky to have been able to celebrate here

Room Tip: Hawthorn house is stunning, and the cottages are great. The serenity suite is STUNNING!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Meghan,
It was truly a pleasure working with you to plan your birthday celebration! We are delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed our staff, the food, and the various accommodations we offer at the inn. The Hawthorn Estate is perfect for groups like yours so everyone can gather together in one place. Thank you for sharing your experience - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Lost count of how many times we have stayed at Hillbrook Inn but we have NEVER been disappointed. The staff is warm and wonderful. The dinner is spectacular and presented beautifully. We stayed in the Winter Cottage (our favorite). Breakfast is scrumptious. I must sound like a broken record but I love this place!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Judy,
Your repeat reviews could not be more appreciated and welcomed! It is wonderful to have repeat guests like you that we get to know more and more each time they stay. Thank you for sharing, and we look forward to your next visit!

Catonsville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is a stunning property that is run by very thoughtful and professional ownership. Everything is run smoothly from check in to check out. We enjoyed a wonderful 5 course meal with wine pairings and great service. We stayed in the Sunset Suite at the Farmhouse and it was perfect- cozy fireplace,very comfortable bed and a very well appointed space- even had deer frolicking in the yard at dusk. Breakfast was great, my spa treatment was amazing and we really hated to leave. I cannot stress how wonderful the staff is at the Inn- it is obvious that these folks are invested in making this a world class destination- just a lovely group of people. The Hillbrook Inn will definitely be a regular part of our future travels. Just an aside- we were on a Living Social Deal- but I would have rated this as an excellent value even if we had paid full price.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Rick,
Thank you for writing such a glowing review. Offering Living Social deals gives us the chance to share Hillbrook Inn with a wider range of people living in and around the DC area. So it was our pleasure to get to share our beautiful property and staff with you during your stay. We look forward to your next visit!

washington dc
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I just visited Hillbrook with a Living Social deal for a Friday night. We had a great time. We stayed in the Summit Suite at the Farmhouse. The suite itself was fantasic - separate sitting area that can be closed off with door, and which had an additional tv; beautiful large walk-in shower, two sinks, king-size bed. All things we don't have at home! My one complaint about the room was how easy it was to hear the voices of the guests in the Sunset Suite (which was directly below us). This definitely took away from any feeling of privacy. I think the Sunrise Suite must be the best one in the Farmhouse because it sits above the kichen/dining area so there is no one below you.

We opted for the 5-course dinner with wine pairings, which was delicious! That night the menu was beet salad, cauliflower soup, some kind of fish, a filet with broccoli puree, and a chocolate/walnut pate. It was awesome and the wine pairings ($30/person for 4 glasses) were great. We were there for 2.5 hours and no one tried to kick us out or complained that we stayed too long. It was so wonderful and relaxing. Only problem was that we sat in the upper room right in front of the fireplace, apparently right above the ladies bathroom, and whenever someone turned on the light/fan down there (or worse, left it running after they exited) we could feel this annoying vibration under our table. Minor issue - but don't choose that table!

I also got a massage at the spa in the morning, which was very nice. The breakfast was not a lot to speak of. After the dinner, it was kind of a let down. They have various juices and coffee/tea, and then our 2-course meal was mango/pineapple followed by a tiny spinach salad thing, two strips of bacon, and blueberry bread pudding. Everything tasted very good, and we were told we could have more of anything, but I think it needs something else - a small omelet? We ended up eating a pretty early lunch on our way back because the breakfast was small.

Overall, a beautiful place to get away for the night. We also stopped by the Bloomery Distillery on the way in which was fun.

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for visiting us at Hilbrook Inn & Spa! We're glad you were able to enjoy a romantic night out of the city with all of the luxuries our beautiful Farmhouse property offers. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the noises, and we most certainly appreciate your feedback about the breakfast since we always strive to present a plentiful plate. We hope you will return to stay with us again very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charles Town
The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Charles Town
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!