“The best surprise I've ever received!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hillbrook Inn

Hillbrook Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Charles Town B&B and Inns
Westminster, Maryland
“The best surprise I've ever received!!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

For our 5th wedding anniversary my husband told me to gear up for a ride on the Harley. i was so excited. He took me up for a wonderful long ride stopping by High Point and a small local bar for a game of horse shoes. Boy was I surprised to end our ride at the BEAUTIFUL Hillbrook Inn! When we arrived we were greeted by a sweet young lady who already knew who we were (which definitely made me feel special) I'm sure the motorcycle was a dead give-away. After the massage we soaked in the most comfortable jacuzzi tub I've ever been in. The grounds are gorgeous and very fun to walk around, chat, and take pictures. Dinner was phenominal!!!! Not normally what my husband would choose but he absolutely LOVED every bite. We've been to bed and breakfast before where the fancy meal was not to our liking. This was amazing!!!! I don't want to brag about what an astounding husband I have, but he has done this type of surprise several times in our 10 year relationship together and I can honestly say I've never been so comfortable, relaxed, happy, and completely fulfilled! Can't wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: The cottage was so peaceful and happily private ; )
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Nichole: Thank you for celebrating your 5th anniversary with us! Your kind words are deeply appreciated and I will be happy to share them with the staff. I was happy to hear that you thought the dinner was phenomenal, the room and property was relaxing and most of all that you would like to visit again because that means the world to each of us! We hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy many more years together!
Carissa Zanella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Towson
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed for just one night, but it was worth the drive to WV. I thought it was slightly overpriced, but we justified it for all that we were celebrating (anniversaries, graduation, new jobs). The entire staff was incredible and made us feel very welcome. The rooms, meals, and grounds were perfect. We would definitely go back...if we get another groupon or living social deal!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Amy:
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor! It was nice to share the Hillbrook Inn with you both to celebrate such special moments in life! I am glad to hear that you may visit us again and you can always look at our web-site or review our newsletter to see upcoming specials or events at the Inn. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff, the food and the grounds! Have a wonderful day and we hope to see you again in the future.
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I went to the Hillbrook Inn on May 5 for dinner. The property is very secluded sitting far back off of the road. When we arrived, the place seemed deserted. We walked in the entrance to what they call the tavern, but it was actually just an old room with a very small bar in the corner, and no people. No employees or patrons. We walked up a small staircase to what appeared to be a library, and still saw Noone. We kept walking hoping to find an employee, and after walking past the kitchen, we were met by a waitress outside of the dining room. We had reservations for 8:00 and it was only 7:45. She told us that they seat promptly at 8:00, so she offered us a glass of wine and told us we could wait in the living room, or anywhere else we wanted. There wasn't one single person on the dining room so I found it kind of strange that we couldn't sit at a table. At 8:00 we were seated in the small, creepy dining room room. Each course of the meal was served to the entire room at the same time. All 5 courses was delicious, probably the best food we have ever eaten. After the meal the chef visited every table and spoke with the guests.
Overall it was a very interesting experience. I must say that even though the food was superior, I was disappointed for the price we paid. I am glad we did it, but it is not my cup of tea.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank mpdbill
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
I wanted to thank you for you honesty! I am disappointed to hear that you were not greeted by the person on duty that evening. There are no real excuses, but I know it is hard for them to hear guests arrive when they are in the dining room area at times because the house is so long, and I deeply apologize. As you stated we do have a tavern area located in the front of the building that is a common area for guests to utilize if they choose. Next level is the library, which has treats for the guests as they arrive to the inn, with a sign for guests stating “that if we are with another guest we apologize but please feel free to have a seat and a treat and we will be right with you”. I am also sorry that you didn’t feel you could sit at a dining table. We often do seat guests when they arrive at 7:45 or so, but we also offer them to enjoy the Inn as well. I am also sad to hear that you felt the dining room was “creepy”. I have to say that was the first time I have heard that and I was sad to know you felt that way! We don’t want any of our guests to feel that way, but we are ecstatic to hear that the “food was probably the best food you have ever eaten”. Our Executive Chef Christine Hale will be pleasantly surprised by the comment! It made me happy to hear that , “you were glad you did it, but it was not your cup of tea”. I wish you the best in finding the bed and breakfast that is “your cup of tea” because there are so many wonderful properties out there to enjoy!
Severn, Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I only stayed a night at the Hillbrook Inn for a "Babymoon," and we wished we would have planned to stay longer! The property was very quiet, clean, and nice for leisurely walks. The main house had so much character. The food could not have been better. We stayed in the Fall Cottage, which is in a small building separate from the main house. The fireplace, Keurig, jetted tub, and iPad were nice touches.

The service topped off the experience, though. Everyone is so friendly at this family-owned property. We were personally greeted immediately and introduced to the entire property with no rush at all and that theme continued throughout our stay. Even our spa experiences were very relaxing thanks to the skilled and friendly staff. Except for meals, we felt like the only people visiting.

20% gratuity for every service (save housekeeping) was automatically charged at checkout, and that made for an even less-stressed trip not having to lug around a purse and cash.

Can't wait to go back!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for reviewing the Hillbrook Inn! It was so nice to have you here for your “Babymoon”! We are happy that you enjoyed all of the property and the staff. We wish you both the best and enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you in the future and hear all about the new addition to the family!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

my room was small, dark, and quite musty, not worth the price so if you're going to go, i would recommend splurging on one of their upper end rooms. not sure why they don't just upgrade so that each room is worth the price. the food was amazing and so was the massage, so my recommendation is splurge on a great room to match.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the room experience at the Hillbrook Inn. If you would like to contact us we would like to extend something to you! I will take your suggestion into consideration, but I am not particularly sure which room you stayed in. The feedback is important and appreciated no matter what our guests have to say! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the “amazing food and massage”. We do hope to see you in the future and make your next experience even better!
Owings Mills, Maryland
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We picked a great couple of days for our outing near Charles Town, WV when my husband and I (still on our quest to find our favorite B&B) travelled on Thursday, April 26th to the Hillbrook Inn. We had always wanted to take my husband’s street car, a 2003 Ford Focus SVT (high performance), to a track just see what the old girl had in her. The Inn is about 3 miles from the Summit Point Motorsports Park so it was a perfect fit, B&B for me and racing for him. We arrived at to check in at 3:00 P.M. and were greeted by Bobby, who showed us around the main Inn and then met us at our “Summer” Cottage, which was spacious with a big comfortable bed, large bathroom, and 2-person spa tub and 2-person shower. We did not use the i-Pad in the room because my husband brought his computer so he could download video he took at the track. Cookies were put in the room and we had complementary water in the mini-fridge. We had reservations for dinner at 6:00 P.M. at the Inn and we were glad we did. We went for a walk before dinner around the grounds which are lovely with a stream meandering through the property. We were walking along the stream when suddenly in the woods on the opposite side a small herd of white tail deer took off running. We kept walking after being startled by the deer and were trying to get a glimpse of the frogs leaping into the ponds and streams. Then we saw two sets of Canadian geese with their goslings in tow. The funny thin was, there was a regular old farm goose following one family – I thought it was after the babies but come to find out – it thought it was one of their babies (talk about an ugly duckling – but sweet too). We went in to the Bullskin Tavern, a bar area in the Inn and Bobby was there to serve us. She went to great lengths to make sure my husband got the specialty drink he loves. Dinner was a prix fix menu and we did not know what was being served – BUT it was great. Carrot soup – yum and filet – the best! We loved it!! After we went back to the room and we made good use of the spa tub. I usually do not sleep well away from home (because we have a waterbed) but I did here. The Inn made special arrangements for my husband’s early breakfast – so he could make his track time at 8:00 A.M. And I had a facial and massage – which were outstanding. We stayed the night and left after a delightful breakfast on Saturday. Love, love, loved it there. FYI – if you stay in the Summer Cottage be aware of visits from a little friend. There is a beautiful red cardinal who pecks frequently at the windows. He sees his reflection and is very territorial and wants the beautiful red bird in the window to go away. Silly bird!?!

Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
We are so happy that you were able to visit the Hillbrook Inn, while visiting the track. I hope that your husband enjoyed having is 2003 Ford Focus SVT (high performance) at the track! We are in a close proximity to the Summit Point Speedway and have the privilege of meeting some of the most wonderful guests that participate in events at the track. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities in the room and able to take part in the sumptuous dinner prepared by our Chef. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the entire property from the grounds, the wildlife, to the meals and tavern! We were happy to share everything with you and look forward to seeing you in the future.
BRISTOW
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the aptly named Snuggery, a wonderful little room at the top of stairs on the rear upper level of the inn. We loved the cozy room, with its little private deck. The room is warmly decorated in patterned wall paper and curtains. There is a double bed, a love seat, an armoire for hanging things and a small bathroom with a jacuzzi soaking tub. Cookies, wine and coffee were provided in the room (wine at extra charge). The inn itself is right out of Charles Dickens. I was moved to start Little Dorrit from the Dickens collection in the library. We joined friends for the three-course supper one night and enjoyed two breakfasts. The food was fresh and expertly prepared by executive chef Christine Hale. Our supper was a large salad, very fresh and flavorful Mahi Mahi, and an delicious slice of pecan pie. There are natural springs on the property and the streams run amazingly clear, with several fat geese to greet you. Side trips to Sheperdsville, Harpers Ferry and Charles Town are recommended; the area history is rich and still evident in buildings, museums and exhibits.

Room Tip: The snuggery is the smallest room, but we loved it!
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Phil4dar:
I loved the title “Dickens of an Inn”! More importantly thank you for taking the time to write a review. It truly means the world to both my husband and I, as well as our staff. It was nice to read about your room, reading, dining, the property and relaxation. In addition, we love our geese, and have also welcomed the goslings onto the property as well. It is truly an honor to work and Hillbrook and share it with so many wonderful guests! We look forward to visiting with you in the future and hope you have a wonderful day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charles Town
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
Holiday Inn Express Charles Town
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hillbrook Inn? Share your experiences!