Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
Review Highlights
Fun but predictably average

We were at a local B&B for the weekend and aren’t gamblers but figured we would try it. We had fun... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Unique2myself
North East, Maryland
via mobile
Entertaining

Casino is clean and staff is friendly and helpful. Slots could be a little looser. Can't wait for... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
NorthStar55233116620
Waynesboro, Virginia

1,098 results
All reviews food court epic buffet horse races event center saturday night nice casino casino floor slots and table games garage inn sodas poker concert virginia
Reviewed March 13, 2019

Always fun and clean place to visit. variety of different machines to play and saw people hit jackpots

Review collected in partnership with Penn National Gaming
HollywoodCCTR, Marketing Associate at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2019

Thank you for the great comment and 5-star review!

Reviewed March 11, 2019 via mobile

We are horrified of the inconsiderate management and patrons.
A better Air handler is needed! We are both non smokers and last nights visit was horrible on Sunday night(less people). Lots of improvements in new eateries,but no improvement in healthy air to breath. Your SMOKE FREE area is terrible. You put all your OLD slots in there. Smokers walking around in all areas smoking. Second hand smoke is worst than smoking. Shame on you Charlestown! Casino Live is Smokefree with great new slots in all areas. "Live" here we come!

Date of experience: March 2019
HollywoodCCTR, Marketing Associate at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best of luck in your future gaming endeavors.

Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I really enjoyed the races and this place could be a favorite destination with all the activity and an amazing band the night we were there. (Souled Out). But the cigarette smoke is intolerable and inescapable. We will not return until smoking areas are moved to isolated areas or, preferably, outside.

Date of experience: March 2019
HollywoodCCTR, Marketing Specialist at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2019

Thank you for leaving us your review and feedback.

Reviewed March 7, 2019

Love the trip to the Hollywood casino. So much variety of slot machines and very nice assortment of places to eat. This is our favorite casino!

Review collected in partnership with Penn National Gaming

Thank you for the 5-star review and for the compliments! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2019

I go to casinos way more often than I should. If you want a "Dry" casino that is very smokey this is your place. I have been here over 15 times even though I live several hours away. Unfortunately other than MGM National Harbor this is the closest thing to me. My wife a smoker and not a big drinker so she likes the place as often we go for the day or stay the night and leave early the next day. Not being there very long I want to have a good time, have some drinks etc.

My last trip was typical. I arrived at 11:20 on a Saturday morning. I typically don't start drinking then but hey I am only here for one day and will probably head for the hotel by 11:00 at night so what they heck, I head out in search of a bar. I go to the main bar in the casino and it says "closed". I head to the Sky Bar and it says "closed". I am not sure what other bars there are so I ask someone and they tell me to head back by the poker room.. I get there and that bar is closed.

I walk around aimlessly and ask another worked and they tell me I can probably get a beer at the food court. Waiting in line at the food court a fellow patron says I think the bar might be open in Slot City so I walk around another 10 minutes and finally get a drink about 12:10, the line was short and the service was fine. Keep in mind the entire 45 minutes I have been there I have been walking constantly and not seen one waitress. I sit down at a slot with my beer and literally a waitress comes by in 30 seconds and asked if I need anything. I said "I am good right now" however I am a pretty fast drinker so if you could come back soon I would appreciate it.

I stay in the same area for 30 minutes and never see here again and go back to the bar and purchase another beer $6 with tip. Long story short, I stay at the Casino for the next 8 hours and go to bar 10+ times and never see a waitress that will bring me a drink. At one slot me and the gentlemen beside me stopped three separate ladies holding trays of 20 drinks as they went by us and they all said, "this is not my section but I will get your waitress to come by in a minute". 45 minutes later after not getting any attention I head to the bar again. I wish I could say this was a one off situation but it is very typical. Out of any casino I have every been to this place has the WORST cocktail service I have every seen by 300% and they are not even giving you anything for free except natural light draft and a crappy vodka drink that taste watered down. Anything else you pay full price for.

I have played cards at a table for 2 hours and never seen a waitress many times, the pit boss usually just shrugs and says "I tried". To top it off like many times this place is packed and every table and every much was full this last trip. So when you go to the bar you will lose you machine if you are playing a slot. They will not let you buy two drinks which is ULTRA frustrating when you and your wife have been sitting there at side by side machines for an hour waiting for a non-existent waitress. I literally have to go to the bar, fight a long line, pay for one beer and walk to her which may be a long ways away and then go back and get a line and buy me a beer. If the line is long I can literally just repeat this cycle for 3 hours without every sitting down. Great time.

Other than that the facility is large and pretty nice, it could be such a nice place. If you go and want to get a little buzz, you better drink in the car or the hotel as it's not going to happen on site. One more thing I will add there have been many times I tip the waitress $5 on a free 8 oz drink hoping to inspire her to come see me again only to disappoint me over and over. If I could bring drinks for $1-$5 each tip, I would be delivering 100's per hour.

Weekends after 2:00 PM you won't find a blackjack game under $25 which is frustrating as there might be a $15 table early with people stacked up waiting to play and multiple $25 tables with nobody at them but the pit boss will still flip the table to $25 minimum. Comps are non existent for table games. I have literally played for a couple of hours, lost $500 and when I checked my balance the next day it didn't change by a cent. Comps for meals seem to run about 1/2% of whatever you run through the machine, go through $400 and you might see $2 in food money. You will see maybe $30 in "free play" on your next visit. The bottom line is this place is packed so they probably feel like they don't have to give you more.

The place has lots of potential, however the poor service drives me nuts as well as being ultra crowded with what can only be described as upper trailer park clientele. My wife dresses in jeans, a nice shirt and boots and is usually the best dressed person I encounter.

Date of experience: March 2019
HollywoodCCTR, Marketing Associate at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2019

Thank you for leaving us your review and feedback, Rick. Here at Hollywood Casino, we want all our customers to have fun and to enjoy our property safely and are committed to a policy of responsible gaming. The purchasing of multiple drinks and the purchasing of your own drink are policies designed to ensure that our guests consume alcoholic beverages responsibly. Thank you.