“Fun with Family”

Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
More attraction details
Owner description: With nearly 5,000 slots, over 100 tables, live thoroughbred racing and 7 delicious dining options, the Hollywood treatment is yours for the taking.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

A great themed casino set in the midst of the beautiful Charles Town and Harper's Ferry, WV area. Hollywood Casino offers decor based upon the movie industry so it's fun to look at, plus it helps you 'define' where you're going to be if you get separated from the people you're with. Of course, the casino is typical of most; great games, free basic soft drinks and basic alcoholic drinks. There's a food court, which is a little expensive, and a couple of other sit-down restaurants and a buffet. There are live bands, mainly on the weekends and, of course, there's the famous horse track. My friends and I had a good day visit to this location.

3  Thank RobertECroneJr

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Even though the casino has improved greatly in all aspects of it's operation over the past few years, i.e. restaurants, decor, variety of slots and table games, it offers very few rewards to it's regular players. BH and I have been regulars for the past 5 yrs. and have been rewarded with 5.00 weekly free slot play. Sure way to keep your customers happy and regular. Time to give LIVE a try and look forward to the National Harbor.

8  Thank soilman29
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have gone to Hollywood Casinos for the last three years and at first found it a nice local place just to relax from work. I would go once every few weeks. In the last year my opinion has really taken a nose dive. I am not a big gambler and understand Casinos are businesses, but wow. Over the past year it has become obvious the casino is loosing revenue and punishing the customers it has left, which I find odd. The machines are clearly no longer allowed to pay any jackpots or large sums (yes, casinos can control their machines). I have watched people sink thousands of dollars playing $1 slots and never get as much as a single bonus. While I make a pretty good income, most of the people who go there are obviously very poor and is heartbreaking to watch senior citizens and people struggling having their money taken from them. For example, the machines never pay off during the first weekend of a month. There are fewer employees, and I have seen an increase in violence (people breaking machines, my brother's wallet was stolen). At one point employees would at least wander the floor given the impression machines may pay off. Over the past year there can be hours when you never see an employee or member of security or staff. Kind of obvious why. I personally just will never visit this "casino" ever again. I have a very large family, and those who like casinos had already started going to the venues in Maryland. I look forward to spending my money somewhere else, rather than flushing down the toilet at a rigged casino. My advise to the owner's is to think logically - if all of you clients are shopping else then decreasing payoffs and installing more expensive machines isn't the way to keep the few customers you have left. If you are thinking of visiting, I really hope you are not fooled by the commercials or online pictures. It looks nothing like either. I would often chuckle at the commercials wondering where they shot it, because it was not in WV. Rather, consider going fishing, staying home, or visiting a casino in Maryland.

13  Thank Michael B
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have been to Dover Downs, Maryland Live and Charles Town. Charles Town is much better This is the first time we have been back since they added table games. Compaired to Maryland live I like the layout much better. The table games are in one basic location where as Maryland Live has the tables spread out everywhere intermingled with slots. I saw and heard more people having some success at Charlestown. MD Live I did not notice anyone winning. Another thing CT has over MD Live is the horses. It is nice to take a break from the hustle and bustle and enjoy the slower pass of the horses. Pretty much feel the same about CT over Dover.

3  Thank out3650
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised when entering the casino. reminded me alot of the nicer places in Las Vegas. Clean. Very helpful attendants. Wish we had time to take advantage of all the food opportunities. Enjoyed the penny slots and did very well compared to other places. So enjoyed the place.

2  Thank Andrew A