“Video Poker at Charles Town”

Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
More attraction details
Owner description: With nearly 5,000 slots, over 100 tables, live thoroughbred racing and 7 delicious dining options, the Hollywood treatment is yours for the taking.
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I hit a $1,000 prize on video poker once in June 2008. After that I continued going about 3 times, and luck has been looking the other way for me continuously. I lost the 1k back, and even more. Tried the slots too. Hmm, not player friendly either. Slots are on the tight side, need to be loosened about 20% more. They do have some good free tournaments and raffles that may bring back some or all of the money lost. Comps are good for food with the player's card. They do have a large slot section for non-smokers. My advice, play carefully, just take cash you can lose, no credit cards, no debit cards, just your DL and cash. Good luck.

7  Thank PlayerX
in 18 reviews
"concert"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2008

This isn't a bad casino. My friends and I didn't hope to retire off our visit so we had a good time. We didn't quite get the movie theme considering the location (were there a lot of movies shot in this part of WV?). The food was pretty good and the casino was really clean. We would probably go back again if they had table games.

2  Thank Shoptillyoudrop2007
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Charlestown races need to be ashame...They are just taking people's money and not giving back anything but a headache.The attendants are rude and servers are very scarce.. Nothing like the service i got in Las Vegas a server was everywhere you turned your head and wasn't standing waiting on a tip. I have gone several times with at least $300-$500 and have walked out with absoulutely nothing.. Now what is wrong with that picture. HIGHWAY ROBBERY

7  Thank cantwin
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Charlestown Races and Slots is a wonderful place to visit, but the slots payouts are terrible. I visited Charlestown on 6/21/08 and I saw no hand pays during my 3 hour visit. Therefore, I will not return to Charlestown until they loosen their slots.

8  Thank ruff495
See more reviews
Reviewed June 22, 2008

First of all, I am not much of a a gambler. My last gambling escapade was about 1998 when I went to Vegas - and played the slots and lost a few hundred - no big deal..........

I live in Maryland, less than 1 1/2 hrs from Charles Town. I went there on a Sunday afternoon, June 22, 2008 - (got there about 1:00 PM - left about 5:00 PM). The horse races start at 1:00 PM on Sundays. Like all the other reviews, it rates highly on being clean, safe, well laid out, etc (although I did not eat there). And I sort of like the concept that I could watch/bet on a horse race and in less than a minute or so - back to the slots - the overall 'layout' of the place is pretty great. It is pretty large though - when I was trying to leave/find the 'garage' - I got lost amidst the slot machines (looking for the west garage vs the east garage). A friendly hostess literally walked me from one end of the place to the other - where I needed to go. The staff is very friendly and couteous - no problems there.

I started to not go there because of all the negative reviews here about tight slots - but went anyway. I took about $300, intending to blow some $100 on the ponies and maybe $200 on the slots.

I played only the more simple slots - can;t remember their names... but they all had 3 cylinders/columns with bars, some with 7s, and all with some kind of wild card (diamonds, cherries, jokers, etc, etc).

I put some $40 into the $1 slots, always played the max bet and got nowhere.. So I decided to try the quarter slots (and I always used the max 3 coin bet) to make it last a little longer. On my first quarter slot - after feeding it only $20, I hit for almost $600 within 10 minutes. I cashed in and went and bet on a horse race (and won $6 on a $20 bet).

I came back to the quarter slots (a different one) - fed it $20 and won about $200.00 - and cashed out and went and bet on the ponies (and lost on the ponies).

I came back from the ponies and lost some $40 on 2 different quarter machines. Back to the ponies - and lost some $50.

Back to the slots - fed in $20 and hit for abou $150 and cashed in - and got a little embarrassed in the Cashier line - the guy ahead of me hit something for $10,000.00 - rather interesting to to see someone count out 100 $100 dollar bills - he said he had a had a 'good day' - I THINK SO!!!!!!!!

back to the ponies - lost a few bucks. Back to the slots - lost $20 - $40.

Time to go home. About 20 feet from the EXIT to the garage, I tried one more (quarter) machine and fed it $20 - just for 'grins' (a midwest expression). Within minutes I was up to some $135. I wanted to go home, so I said I'd keep playing the max bets until I was at $100 or $150. It took awhile - some 20 minutes (slots can be so boring'.......) but I finally cashed out at $150.

All in all, I had a good time for an afternoon - ponies and slots - and the ability to do both. When I got home, I counted the cash. I went TO the place with a little less than $300.00 - At home, I counted out almost $1,000.00 - most of which is now in my sock drawer awaiting final disposition - haha.

I have no idea if their 'payout' rate is good or bad - compared to other places. I had a good time - I enjoyed myself - I won some money - no complaints.

Even if I had lost it all (only some $300 or less) - it would have been worth it. Overall, the facility is a first class operation.

Enjoy......... but as always..... it is entertainment.... don't bet more than you can lose.

4  Thank tkfarley