“Average casino”

Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
More attraction details
Owner description: With nearly 5,000 slots, over 100 tables, live thoroughbred racing and 7 delicious dining options, the Hollywood treatment is yours for the taking.
Front Royal, Virginia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Average casino”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The casino is very large and sprawling and there is an overwhelming assortment of slot machines with table games mixed in in various random places .
Cons. Alcohol is scares and you can only get one drink at a time at the only bar
There is only one Video roulette game and the stakes are equivalent to a table game with a $10 minimum ( I did however win $350 on fourth spin so I cashed out and went to a table) the video roulette pace is incredibly fast and leaves no time for planning or strategy,this pace seems to be designed to extract maximum cash in minimum time
The buffet is large with a huge selection of mediocre food, I did not try desserts but was told they were excellent.
There are only a couple of the super sized slots( $5) per spin, I did play one and won $200.
I only found one roulette table with a $10 limit, all the others were $15 or more, I did win $100 at this very busy and overcrowded table. Overall a fun night (because I won! ) but I won't go back they don't cater to the customer much and it feels like you are being prepped for a fleecing.Oh and the WORST THING is the smoke,there are smokers everywhere and we left early because our eyes burned and our clothes stunk

1 Thank Mike58318

Herndon, Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Atrocious Customer Service: Management Contemptuous of Non-Gambling Disabled and Those in Need of Seating”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The staff here is generally friendly but this is not a destination resort. It consists of banks of slot machines, a food court, two or three restaurants - including a food court with lousy overpriced food and the usual macaroni and cheese fried food buffet. However, those patrons who choose to take a break from gambling or have disabilities and need to find a place to sit and relax are up the creek without a paddle here. I suggest you look elsewhere for comfort and relaxation if you want a break from the slots. I am still recovering from back surgery and have arthritis. During my last visit I needed to find an easy chair to sit, perhaps pour money into the casino by buying an overpriced drink, and get the weight off my back. There is a Food Court with straight back chairs, but none - or very few - of the lounges that one finds in classy casinos at Las Vegas or Atlantic City. During my last visit as I was limping in pain I found a small lounge in front of a restaurant with about 15 lounge chairs - a velvet sheated chain was set just far enough aside to afford entry and another patron was reading a book. So, I sat down and relieved my pain and started reading. About 20 minutes later a security guard ambled over and told me "Sir, this area is closed and you can't sit here...you need to move." "I'm somewhat disabled and need a place to rest," I replied...."can't you exercise some discretion and courtesy to a patron with disabilities? Or even comply with the ADA?" "No Sir, I'm sorry, but I'm following management's rules." I replied that he should please convey to management my displeasure and that I would be describing their policy and the fact that they are described in strong negative terms on Trip Advisor. He apologized and then went over to give the bum's rush to the poor woman reading her book. I then went over to a security post and asked to speak with a manager to express my complaint. I then had a courteous and friendly discussion with their Chief of Security who was sympathetic and told me that I was not the first person to complain about being rousted and the lack of accomodations, and that management would not budge. I asked him to convey certain strong words to his management and for them not to be surprised to see themselves negatively portrayed in the travel press. The fellow was courteous and seemed used to receiving reports of such abuse by customers. It was obvious from this conversation that they really don't care. One has to realize that this facility is a barn-like facility with limited, crowded and high stakes table games adjacent to a race track...signage is minimal and confusing...and if you are moving slowky and painfully be prepared for long walks looking in the wrong direction from the signage...and like most such facilities in Maryland and West Virginia is not a destination resort such as the casinos in Las Vegas or Atlantic City. The only reason I subject myself to this is because my fitter spouse and friends are amused by playing the slots. However, after basically being told they are not interested in business by my type or making reasonable courtesies to those of us with special needs, I intend to limit my patronage at this place with a "public be damned" attitude on the part of its management. Unless you are into horse racing and crowded slots, if you are looking for customer care, relaxation and a class act, avoid this place.

7 Thank MarcoPolodiNuovaYork
Charlottesville, Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Outstanding Casino!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Outstanding casino. Large (3500+ slots) with a great variety of slot games and decent payouts. Free soft drinks at stations scattered around the casino. Epic Buffet has some good food BUT some of the hot items are cold. Staff extremely friendly and helpful.

1 Thank DrKen B
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Casino is good but not great!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We got to the casino a little late and had not eaten dinner. The web site said 24 hour food court so we thought we'd just eat in the casino. Be warned that if you decide, you may be limited to not every restaurant at the food court just one or two. We ended up having a slice of cold pizza that would have been fantastic if they would have just taken a minute to heat it up. Over all the staff are friendly and the pleasant. They have slots and tables.

Baltimore, MD
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Decent Casino”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our first time to visit this place, we had a good time. Won about $26 from slot machines. Table minimums were too high, but there were plenty of people playing both the slots and table games. Our group ate dinner at the Epic Buffet on a Saturday night for Steak & Seafood night ($23/pp). The food was OK with an above-average dessert selection, service was great. Our main reason for visiting was to see Everclear play at the H Lounge and that was a big letdown. The lounge was too small for the large crowd and security had a hard time making room for people. The sound was terrible and only 1 bar serviced the entire area, so if you left the lounge to get drinks at another bar you might not be able to get back in. As others have commented, the air is smoky.

Overall, this is an OK casino. Maryland Live is a newer, better-equipped place without the smoky air. It also has a better buffet and concert venue.

1 Thank minx6469