“I have had more fun on cruise ship casinos...”

Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
More attraction details
Owner description: With nearly 5,000 slots, over 100 tables, live thoroughbred racing and 7 delicious dining options, the Hollywood treatment is yours for the taking.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I believe you never go to a casino expecting to win. We go to see how long we can play the slots on our small pool of funds. At Hollywood, not long. The payouts are meager. I have had way better "luck" playing on cruise ships where you could go and play for hours on $20. You never left with that $20, but you had fun. Sounds like a win-win: I have fun, the casino gets its money. At Hollywood that sucking sound is your cash gone in an instant. The largest number of slots are in the smoking section. They do have a non-smoking section, but there isn't nearly the number or variety as in the smoking section, so you sacrifice comfort and health for fun. Worth giving a second thought to.

One thing I will give them credit for: the food is decent. We had crab dip in the SkyBox and enjoyed the flavor and the portion size for the money.

9  Thank Empty_Nest-to-be
in 16 reviews
in 18 reviews
in 27 reviews

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Please bear in mind that I'm NOT a Casino Newbie.
This was our first and last visit to this Casino.
ALL, and I mean ALL of the penny and nickel slot machines have had their "credits played" options manipulated in such a way that unless you play the "max" bet, you are stuck at the low end of credits played with nothing in between which severely hampers your payout if you should win the higher tier amounts..
This place boasts 3,500 slots and although we did count them, I seriously doubt they have that many. I'm sure the figure they tout is only if you include the mirror images from the walls.
I know a Casino is there to take your money, but this place really excels at it in a big way. The only chance you have at actual play time is to play the minimum credits because if you don't, your $$ won't last very long at all. This place will suck you dry really quick.
Having said that, I understand why. It's close proximity to Washington and the government (tax payer sponsored) elites this place caters to.
We dropped 1200 in less than 2 1/2 hours and were comped .02 cents..
NOT a place for the squeamish for sure.

Pretty inside, with many confusing "themed" alcoves....easy to lose your way.
A reasonably sized non-smoking section.
Decent ventilation in other areas with clear air and not much stench from the smoking crowd.
A good choice of budget food but pricey as par for other Casinos.
Marginally clean Ladies restroom (according to Wife) and a disgusting filthy men's restroom.
I know that we expect to lose money at a Casino, but this place is an absolute rip off.

11  Thank gccsteve
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a big casino and they do have plenty of slots, but I just didn't like the type of slots they had there. They hardly had any I actually like and normally play. Some were tall and sat high up and I had to look up and hurt my neck to play them...not all but some. I also noticed that many of the penny slots here start at a higher bet than other casinos. They don't have many with a quarter bet. Many start at $1, or .80 cents, .50 cents etc....to play all the lines. And be careful, there are little rows of nickel machines thrown smack dab in the middle of a penny section. You might end up playing one, betting a lot more than you're realizing, like I did. I was all over the place and tried all sort of slots and couldn't win on anything. It was terrible. I didn't get any fun play on anything and it was so hard to even get a bonus on anything. My mom had a little luck there on the White Orchid, I wasn't as fortunate. They do have several bathroom and free drink machines on the walls which is nice and both smoking and non smokin sections.

8  Thank missatti2d
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The casino features old style slots as well as MANY of the newer slot machines. Poker machines also. Table games for all tastes. Limits do tend to run a little high on weekends. Live horse racing Wed-Sat nights and when the weather is nice (May-Oct), Sunday afternoon racing. Bring kids on a Sunday afternoon. They will have a blast watching the horses. Hotel on site but have not stayed.

2  Thank MICHAEL N
See more reviews
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hollywood Casino has over 100 table games and 3500 slots. We've been there many times, but I noticed on this trip that they are finally updating some of their slots. Any casino that I've been in that has Wizard of Oz machines - you have to wait in line to get to one. Hollywood doesn't have one. They do have the ever popular Alice, Sex and the City and Hangover machines. We were there on a Thursday afternoon/evening, so the casino wasn't very busy. However, before we left, around 9:00 pm, it was very busy. It's not Vegas, but it is a casino.

2  Thank pletzkeb