“Downhill Racer”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Been here three times -- first time there was a bar fight, but the fish and chips more than made up for the disturbance. Second time, no fight, and fish and chips was as good as the first time --- literally a five star piece of fish. The most recent time --- this evening, was a nightmare -- a horribly done piece of fish with a very heavy batter, and the batter was dreadfully uncooked. Waitress couldn't comprehend our unhappiness, and we left the food pretty much untouched.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I am not a harsh person. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but this...this was shameful. I went here with my grandparents and my fiance expecting our meal to be taken with a grain of salt since this is a new place...but I was shocked and appalled by the quality of the food and the service. The menu was lacking- nachos and jalapeno poppers at an Irish Pub? Seriously? Even before that we were sat by the owners daughter who put my 74 year old grandparents UP STAIRS while they are both clearly shuffling and can't walk well. She also knew NOTHING about the menu. I gritted my teeth and accepted, again, that as a new place, the staff might not have been fully trained yet. Then came our food. Shepherds pie with a puddle of grease on top. Vegetables so salty that I couldn't eat them. Fish and chips that literally EXPELLED oil and had to be patted down with a napkin before thought of consumption. If I wanted that much cholesterol I'd eat spoonfuls of lard. I was honestly embarassed for Paddy's and couldn't stop apologizing to my grandparents for bringing them there. My fiance and I went to Dish afterwards for desert for fear of what Paddy's might have to offer. Much better choice!

I truly hope that this gets better with time. Please, change your menu and ad some authenticity and for the love of heaven, please train your servers! Charles Town could use some more nice places to eat other than the casino- we'd like to see your survive, but you won't see me back there again!

2  Thank SnarkyFoody
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was so happy to see a place like Paddys open up in Charles Town. We really needed it. However, after two visits, I would not recommend it. The service was unfriendly and slow. The food was OK, but it is over-priced. The Jamison chicken was 14 dollars! Only one tiny piece of chicken, a serving of mashed and a veggie. No salad or bread. For lunch I got the Irish Pig (pulled pork). The sandwich is almost 8 dollars, comes w/ chips and slaw. Fries are 2 dollars extra. The sandwich was served on a dinner bun which was smaller than my fist. It was about the size of a mini burger form Ruby Tuesdays. In the end, poor service, and way too pricey, especially for a pub.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Paddy's is a welcome treat for Charles Town! Aside from the quaint and richly historic aspects of the building it resides in, Paddy's has already given the the town a budding shamrock of good times & spirits (and not just liquid spirits!!) The food is satisfying & served piping hot...typical pub fare you would expect from any Irish gathering place. What makes it special is the local following....welcoming & friendly folks, adding to the hometown pride & spirit you will feel while there. I've never experienced a rowdy, young clientele, as in some pubs, which is refreshing for the mellow-goers, like myself. The "Irish Pub" decorum is emerging slowly, with hand-picked plaques, signs & memorabilia, personal to the owners & patrons. You won't find mass produced "bar decor" here, like at TGIF's and such. Paddy's is a work in progress, aiming for an authentic and genuine Irish atmosphere that will mean something to those who visit. I've eaten 4 meals there since the opening - the Corned Beef is succulent &amazing!! I've had the Fish & Chips twice...thick fish and finger licking, crunchy battering. I've never been disappointed with the food and am eager to try more from the menu! The staff is friendly and "family-like", enthusiastic to greet & serve you. As for being bar-side, vs. dining.....service is great!! Your next "cold one" is flowing from the tap before you put down your last empty mug. The barkeeps really do keep an eye on you, as well, offer jovial conversation & company, especially, if you are alone. It's impossible to be ignored or overlooked at Paddy's...someone is always acknowledging your presence. I enjoy looking at the old stone work & wood beams, wondering "what" life was like & lived in at this homes beginning. If the walls could talk!! Paddy's is a classy, little gem, still being polished....but not hurried or rushed, just as you will find your experience there when you visit.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have tried everything on the menu(since they opened), except for the vegetarian burger(I like Meat). I enjoyed everything! I understand people can be frugal or judgemental. This restaurant had a "soft" opening on December 9th, they are working out the kinks(as any new business), PLEASE give them the chance they deserve!! Don't base your opinion on someone else's. From the Guiness beer battered Cod to the 16oz T-Bone, the perfect Reuben to the Paddy's Paddy.....you'll be impressed and satisfied!!