“Tried Twice...No Good”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was so happy to see a place like Paddys open up in Charles Town. We really needed it. However, after two visits, I would not recommend it. The service was unfriendly and slow. The food was OK, but it is over-priced. The Jamison chicken was 14 dollars! Only one tiny piece of chicken, a serving of mashed and a veggie. No salad or bread. For lunch I got the Irish Pig (pulled pork). The sandwich is almost 8 dollars, comes w/ chips and slaw. Fries are 2 dollars extra. The sandwich was served on a dinner bun which was smaller than my fist. It was about the size of a mini burger form Ruby Tuesdays. In the end, poor service, and way too pricey, especially for a pub.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Paddy's is a welcome treat for Charles Town! Aside from the quaint and richly historic aspects of the building it resides in, Paddy's has already given the the town a budding shamrock of good times & spirits (and not just liquid spirits!!) The food is satisfying & served piping hot...typical pub fare you would expect from any Irish gathering place. What makes it special is the local following....welcoming & friendly folks, adding to the hometown pride & spirit you will feel while there. I've never experienced a rowdy, young clientele, as in some pubs, which is refreshing for the mellow-goers, like myself. The "Irish Pub" decorum is emerging slowly, with hand-picked plaques, signs & memorabilia, personal to the owners & patrons. You won't find mass produced "bar decor" here, like at TGIF's and such. Paddy's is a work in progress, aiming for an authentic and genuine Irish atmosphere that will mean something to those who visit. I've eaten 4 meals there since the opening - the Corned Beef is succulent &amazing!! I've had the Fish & Chips twice...thick fish and finger licking, crunchy battering. I've never been disappointed with the food and am eager to try more from the menu! The staff is friendly and "family-like", enthusiastic to greet & serve you. As for being bar-side, vs. dining.....service is great!! Your next "cold one" is flowing from the tap before you put down your last empty mug. The barkeeps really do keep an eye on you, as well, offer jovial conversation & company, especially, if you are alone. It's impossible to be ignored or overlooked at Paddy's...someone is always acknowledging your presence. I enjoy looking at the old stone work & wood beams, wondering "what" life was like & lived in at this homes beginning. If the walls could talk!! Paddy's is a classy, little gem, still being polished....but not hurried or rushed, just as you will find your experience there when you visit.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have tried everything on the menu(since they opened), except for the vegetarian burger(I like Meat). I enjoyed everything! I understand people can be frugal or judgemental. This restaurant had a "soft" opening on December 9th, they are working out the kinks(as any new business), PLEASE give them the chance they deserve!! Don't base your opinion on someone else's. From the Guiness beer battered Cod to the 16oz T-Bone, the perfect Reuben to the Paddy's Paddy.....you'll be impressed and satisfied!!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I love Paddy's. Its a local hangout and I enjoy the delicious food and speedy and accurate service. I am all for supporting private and locally owned business!

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Paddy's is on an old house that used to house the Charles Washington Inn, followed by at least two attempts at moderately priced restaurants. All have failed. My wife and I visited last week for lunch, with high hopes.

I ordered a Reuben sandwich, which came with French fries. The sandwich was adequate, but the accompanying french fries were raw on the inside, something I don't recall *ever* experiencing. My wife ordered a cup of Paddy's "signature" version of French onion soup, with a side salad. She said the soup was pretty good, but spoiled for her because the bread on which the cheese was melted was not toasted first, so it became extremely soggy and unappetizing. The salad was mostly iceberg, and came with a disproportionately tiny cup of salad dressing. The most dismaying thing was that the salad clearly had been prepared some time before, because the entire salad was permeated with the taste and odor of long-cut onions.

While eating, we overhead the man at the next table tell the server that his hamburger was so salty as to be inedible. Since we were two of only four occupied tables at that time, this suggests a pretty poor batting average. The server was friendly and energetic, and seemed to take real interest in whether we liked our food, but judging from this sample the kitchen was letting her down repeatedly.

As I said, we had high hopes, and still wish them well, but they have got to get the kitchen straightened out if they hope to survive.

2  Thank PeteandLynn