“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Charles Town
Owings, MD, United States
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel three weeks on business travel, one week last year and two weeks this year. Next summer I will be working in the area for three weeks, and I am definitely planning to stay at this hotel again. All of the rooms I have stayed in were clean, comfortable (especially the beds), and quiet. The air conditioning is quiet and efficient. I have stayed in three different types of rooms: a room with two queen-size beds, a small refrigerator and microwave, and a tub/shower combination; a room with one king-size bed, an upholstered chair in addition to the desk chair, no refrigerator or microwave, and a large shower (no tub); and a suite, with one bed, a sitting area with sofa and ottoman/coffee table, and a long desk/credenza separating the two areas (really helpful for work), a combined tub/shower, and a kitchen area with microwave, refrigerator, and sink. I enjoyed them all, except the lack of a refrigerator and microwave in the king bed room was an inconvenience, since I like to bring my own food for the week. I made do storing my food in a cooler (kept cold with the ice from the ice machine), and the staff could not have been friendlier about hauling their microwave out of the kitchen for me when I wanted to heat up my dinners. If you need a refrigerator and microwave, be sure that you specify that you don't want a king bed- all the rest of the room types have them. The pool is not huge, but it is adequate, and very welcome after a long day working outside. There is also a nice large built-in hot tub that people seemed to enjoy, as well as a fitness room with machines that I didn't use. Another amenity I did use was the laundry facilities, which I didn't realize they had until my most recent visit. The front desk was pleasant about giving me change, and previous visitors had left bottles of laundry detergent, which meant that I didn't need to go out and purchase any. Regarding food, I love the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies they bake fresh and put in the lobby every afternoon. I don't have a lot of time to spend on the complimentary breakfast in the morning (think cold cereal), but I can tell you they have hot items including some type of meat, eggs, and potatoes, there is a waffle machine, they have pastries that I thought looked pretty institutional, hard boiled eggs, fruit salad, whole fruit, cold cereals, juices, etc. I'm pretty picky about orange juice, so I take my own, but most folks would probably think it was ok. If your time is really limited, they also have bagged breakfasts/to go bags you can grab on your way out the door that consist of an apple, a granola bar, a muffin, and a bottled water. One of the hotel's best assets is its staff, who have all seemed pleasant and helpful. Jordan and Chelsea have especially gone above and beyond, answering my many questions and addressing my many needs, all with a smile. I ended up at this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews. The fact that the good reviews were well-earned has kept me going back.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Gaithersburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel is very clean, the room was very comfortable, staff was friendly and helpful. the bathroom very clean. Great service. Very friendly staff. The breakfast bar was very good. every time a worker came out the kitchen, she had a great smile and ask did we need anything. we will be back soon. best hotel in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Jarrittsville, md, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just fix the right click on the mouse. I depend on it since my laptop is down. I would like to point out one thing very important. That is your staff makes all the difference when a gust stays at a hotel. I stay exclusively at Hilton brand hotels. A few Hiltons I have stayed at fall far below the quality of service which I have always come to expect from a high end hotel group. This Hampton has always been exceeded its quality stands minimum. When I travel to this area, I have the option of staying at the Hampton in Winchester Virginia. This hotel would certainly put me a ½ hour closer to my client. But I stay here instead. The reason? In a word kindness. I spend 4 days a week on the road away from my family. And when I check in, they recognize me with a genuine smile and they greet me name even before I check in. It’s nice to go where everyone knows your and face. My daughter is an outpatient at Johns Hopkins, one day when I was staying at your Princeton, NJ. Double Tree, I got a call from wife saying that our daughter had a relapsing her health. It terrified me that I was too far way to do anything. A week later, she was better. The following week, I took her with me on the road and we stayed at the Charles Town Hampton. Our stay was for 3 days. During that time, your staff had to move us to another room since it had been already booked for the third evening. Your staff worked with me to find a room (all be it a smoking room) so I would not have to move to the Holiday Inn next door. When my daughter and I moved into the room, the scent of tobacco was very apparent which was making my daughter sick. The maid in the hall way over heard our conversation and immediately offered to put an anodizer in the room to deal with the smell. When she was finished anodizing the room, she left a nice note on our dresser hoping that everything was OK and to let her know if there was anything else she could do to make our stay a more pleasant one. Her name I believe was Amy or Anita. She was kind. For these reasons, is why I choose to stay at this hotel. Thank them for me. Dan Flannery (A very happy customer) 

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The Hampton was great because it was spacious, clean, and quiet. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed talking to them. The Hampton also offered a 24/7 door-to-door shuttle service to the Hollywood Casino! All in all it was a very relaxing stay. The only bit that irked us a little was when a 'group' of guests used the open sitting room as their happy hour place. That area is open and connected to the Lobby where guests check-in, so that group was pretty loud when new guests were checking in or existing guests were talking while waiting for the shuttle. They took it over and made it hard for other guests to use it -maybe for hooking up their tablets, laptops, etc. Or sit and have coffee or tea on one of their comfy chairs, read a book or watch the big screen TV. They stayed there the whole afternoon thru the night. Some other guests suggested they should've used one of their many conference rooms to keep it private especially when they had alcohol. Other than that part the overall stay was great and we would definitely come back again!

• Stayed July 2013
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while we were visiting Harpers Ferry. It's location on the east side of Charles Town makes it very convenient. Facility was neat and clean and the staff was very friendly. Room was on the smaller then usual for a Hampton Inn. Had a shower instead of a tub which I prefer. Biggest downer was that there was no microwave or mini-frig in the room. So had to use cooler for cold beverage storage. Then the ice machine on our floor was out of ice and the one on the floor above only had one ice bucket worth in it. With out a room frig the demand for ie was high.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

thanks to the entire staff of this hotel... their professionalism showed in the cleanliness of the rooms, the quality of the complimentary breakfast and everything they did to ensure a Pleasant Stay. I heartily recommend this hotel.

new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed for a night at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Charles Town, WV. The staff that greeted us was friendly and engaging. The room was very comfortable and extremely clean. The complimentary hot and cold breakfast was terrific. There were many choices and the items were kept well stocked. We want to particularly compliment the breakfast attendant, Linda, who was very accommodating to the guests, making sure we all had what we needed. Linda was constantly moving - cleaning, stocking and making the rounds to check on the guests. You could tell that she really cared about doing her job well. The hotel was very well maintained and while we only stayed one night, we'd definitely stay here again if we come back to West Virginia.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bavarian Inn
Bavarian Inn
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
4.0 of 5 stars 692 reviews

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town? Share your experiences!