“Carnitas saved this from a 2 star for this Mexican Restaurant”
Review of Mi Degollado

Mi Degollado
Ranked #4 of 60 Restaurants in Charles Town
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We decided to try some Mexican food while out in the Charlestown area. Trip Advisor show this as being mixed in terms of the food and service. It's rather sparse for dining and we decided to give it a shot. The margarita was pretty good and we liked the chips and salsa. I ordered the carnitas and my wife opted for a triple plate - chicken soft taco, chalupa, and a burrito. The carnitas were flavorful, but were served with flour tortillas. Wow - never had that experience before at a Mexican restaurant. They also didn't seem to be fried like the should, but at least they tasted okay.

Something was seriously wrong with the chicken dishes that night. Each of the 3 was extremely watery and bland. I couldn't believe how bad the dishes were when all they needed to do was add a little spice and perhaps not cook the chicken so much.

We won't be heading back here for Mexican - I would suggest Taco Bell or something else more authentic for a chicken taco (yes - that's closer to the original and much tastier). The carnitas were pretty good, but not worth trying something else on the menu when they missed so bad on the chicken.

There are newer reviews for Mi Degollado

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is definitely above your average Mexican joint. Do not be afriaid to stray away from the standard Tex-Mex fare. You will not be disappointed!

1  Thank jakp993
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Named for the home of the proprietors in the State of Jalisco, this place serves the food I came to love when wandering Mexico with my grandmother. This is a strip mall gem run by people who put love on your plate and traditional Mexican music in your ears. The menu is eight pages long and lists dishes I haven’t had in 45 years. AI-YI-YI-YI. Given the chance, we will go back!

1  Thank CJW999
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The food and prices here are average. The service was slow and distracted. The atmosphere is bland and overall I'm not impressed. I will likely not go back.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is one of my family's favorite places to eat - so much so that the staff recognizes my five year old who has been visiting Mi Degollado since he was born. The food is always delicious and the service is always very good and personable. The place is not very large and can fill to capacity pretty quickly, but the wait time is generally not that long in my experience. The prices are reasonable and the portion size is pretty generous - not to mention the free chips and salsa. If you want to add an item, I recommend the cheese dip for the chips. I highly recommend visiting Mi Degollado if you like mexican food.