WINNER WONDERLAND

Redbook Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 58 Restaurants in Charles Town
Cuisines: American, European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: In a league all its own. Using the freshest seasonal and local ingredients, our talented culinary team create a fine dining pre fixe experience!
Alexandria, VA
“Great Three Course Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Excellent food quality. Wonderful service. Just a lovely evening and setting. No rush to eat and clear a table. A beautiful fire blazing. It couldn't have been nicer.

Visited January 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I am happy to hear that we created a great ambiance at dinner. A roaring fire on a cold night with someone you care about is always a nice treat! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the delicious meal.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mm Mm Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The breakfast was three courses of amazingness. Coffee and juice were flowing, and the yogurt dish and eggs benedict were memorable!

Visited December 2012
I love breakfast too...so it was great to hear you enjoyed it as well! Thank you for visiting us!
Greenville, North Carolina, United States
“World Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My company has customers come to visit us from all over the world. Alot of these customers have stayed at this Inn and told me how much they really liked it. In fact it was our favorite customer from New Zealand that brought this place to our attention-funny living in Charles Town, we had never eaten there. In any case after another customer mentioned it to me on Friday, I decided to take my family to dinner to celebrate our 30 year anniversary. I could not have been happier! Even though it was on a Monday night when a lot of restaurants are closed, they opened and prepared a 3 course meal that was as good as any I had on a recent trip to Paris! The ambiance, the service-----no is it not fast food that a lot of people are used to, so might seem a little slow to some people, was perfect. We arrived at 5:30 and had a drink, were seated at 6:00 in our dinning room. After relaxing with another drink, our salads were served and they were great. Our dinner consisted of Pork which was perfectly cooked, corn that was the best I have ever had, and macaronni and cheese. The unbelievable thing was that all 7 people really enjoyed the meal.....when I am sure if they had be able to do so, they would have all ordered something different! The desert, as I said we just got back from Paris, was it was light and delicious......after coffee we were left totally fullfilled and left at 8 pm. A very pleasant two and a half hour dinner experience that was well worth the money......If you are looking for a really great upscale experience, this is it in in Charles Town.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words! It was an honor to share your 30th Anniversary with you! It was nice to hear that we exceeded the expectations on that Monday evening. We are a European style inn that prides itself in service, but a relaxing and elegant atmosphere. Too often we rush through meals without really enjoying the guest or guests we are dining with and the Hillbrook experience allows for this! Thank you for noticing and appreciating what we offer our guests. Thank your customers for the recommendation, it really means a lot to each of us at Hillbrook Inn! We think of ourselves as a “great kept secret” in Charles Town and look forward to future visits with you!
Suburb of Houston
“There are much better ways to spend an evening in the area.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

My hubby and I were immediately put off by our greeting. Where are you staying they ask? Harper's Ferry we answer. Oh. You are outside guests. (Meaning we're not staying at the Inn). You may choose a table in either of these two rooms. My husband usually doesn't take offense easily (I do) but after a few minutes he commented that he felt unwelcome. Then came the 5 courses. Bland. Unimaginative. Salty. Mediocre execution. They say they cater to dietary restrictions and say that the pasta was gluten free, and it was indeed chewy and not very good but I didn't trust them to serve gluten free pasta to everyone in the restaurant, so I skipped that course. The gluten free dessert was terrible. It looked like a dark chocolate hershey bar and tasted like a chocolate covered cherry. Clearly something they dumped out of a box and drizzled raspberry sauce over. Even without wine the meal took 2 1/2 hours. The service did not merit the 20% service charge they add to every bill, even our small party of 2. We discovered later that much of the food in this area is bland by comparison to the diverse restaurant choices in the Houston area, so maybe I'm being a little harsh. The inn itself is not as marvelous as it claims to be. It is big and it is old and it is not too terribly creaky. There is a small library with books you've either read or never intend to read - classics, cookbooks - you know, books nobody is likely to take home with them.

Meanwhile, there are very lively entertainment venues in the area that we regretted missing. I can't think of the name of it but a Vineyard starting with the letter V I think just across the Virginia state line from harper's ferry has live music every weekend night. I'm just saying...

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hillbrook, Owner at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
I am happy that you took the time to visit the Hillbrook Inn, but I apologize on the feeling of not being welcomed. I will discuss this with my staff, because I don’t want any guest whether they are staying at the Inn or visiting from another property to feel unwelcomed.
In addition, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food. As for the “gluten free” if there is someone in the dining room with a “severe” allergy then we take extra precautions and will serve it to everyone if the allergy is a “true allergy” and not a gluten free diet preference to keep the individual safe since we are not a completely gluten free kitchen. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the dessert. Chocolate pate is one of the most commented on items that the guests enjoy and is made here at the Inn.
Hillbrook Inn is more of a European style dining. Although prix fixe, menus are common in Europe, they're still somewhat of a novelty to the American culture. A prix fixe menu is simply a collection of pre-determined items presented as a multi course meal at a set price. Also, particularly at dinner, guests are invited to take their time and enjoy the evening together, laughing, talking and eating. So, we apologize if the meal seemed long.
The 20% gratuity, if you would have asked for gratuity to be adjusted, we would have been happy to assist. If service is not where a guest feels it should be it is helpful to know before their departure so that it can be adjusted and the server can be addressed. Change can’t happen if people don’t say something. If you would like to contact us I would be more than happy to make an adjustment to the billing.
I appreciate your critique of the Inn and we will take it into consideration for the future. As for the vineyard you mentioned, I believe you are speaking of Veramar Vineyards located only miles from the Inn. Yes, they are spectacular! Jim and Della are wonderful and we work closely with them as well…doing wine dinners, visiting their vineyard as well as their entire family are dear guests of the Inn. I would recommend a visit to them as well and will be offering wine pairings and classes with them this coming year!
Hedgesville, West Virginia
“Excellence at a Fair Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hillbrook Inn is an upscale overnight destination that serves meals to outside guests on special occasions. This past Sunday was one of four Sundays during the year that invites the public. The three-course luncheon was delicious, beautifully served by pleasant staff. When you make reservations, they ask for food allergies and preferences. You receive the menu of the day.
If you're physically challenged in any way, this is not the place for you. Stairs are narrow, often stone slabs and spaces are difficult to maneuver. However, the majority of diners were older folks, a couple with walkers stowed outside the dining room. I myself was recovering from recent knee surgery. It's that good, that we risked the hazards!

• Visited March 2012
Hillbrook, Owner at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
We are so happy that you were able to join us for lunch! We have a few times a year that we open the dining room for lunch reservations and also take reservations for lunch for 8 or more anytime. We also offer dinner to the public Thursday – Sunday as well as our overnight guests. We enjoy every minute of it and look forward to sharing it with you again. I know we are only one room wide, and up several levels, but it is beautiful and the architecture is something out of a storybook. We are glad you “risked the hazards” too! I enjoyed talking to each of you and hope you had a beautiful day! ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella