“Taste of excellence”

Redbook Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 60 Restaurants in Charles Town
Cuisines: American, European, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In a league all its own. Using the freshest seasonal and local ingredients, our talented culinary team create a fine dining pre fixe experience!
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Elegant fine dining with amazing service and quality cuisine. I will be sure to tell all of my acquaintances to attend the amazing dining experience.

Hillbrook, Owner at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Thank you for commenting on my staff and their quality service as well as the cuisine. It is always a pleasure to share Hillbrook with others and look forward to having you visit in the futrue. ~ Sincerely, Carissa Zanella

Reviewed May 26, 2010

First off, I live in Charles Town. There is no fine dining in our county. Born just outside NYC I was amazed at the friendly ambiance of Hillbrook, yet its upscale approach to dining. My husband and I spent Valentines Day on the property and were in way rushed through our meal. It was so elegant and relaxing. The chef prepared the meal with a few preferences and we were delighted to try both filet kabob and a poultry dish for such a great price. Truly worth it. Go spoil yourself...

1  Thank Author-JessicaAdriel
Hillbrook, Owner at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2010

Jessica, thank you! We appreciate your kind words and always enjoy your visits to the Hillbrook. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2010

First time dining at the Hillbrook on the last night of their 7 course dinner with wine. They are changing to a 5 course meal w/o wine being included in the price. Our internet search for a great new spot not to far from home solidly pointed us to the Hillbrook. Upon making our reservation 5 weeks in advance we provided our preferences looking forward to a fabulous dining experience. The buildings and furnishings are as lovely as anything we visited in Europe creating an ambiance of expectation.

We enjoy eating at a leisurely pace however 3 hours is a bit too long as it doesn't leave time for any other activity. Only two wines were offered (chardonnay and cabernet sauvignon) with one replenishing, during the seven courses both of which were uninspiring and we were unable to find them on the Wine Spectator list. There was a definite change in taste in the second glass of chardonnay as it came from a different bottle. The sweetness of the shiraz reduction accompanying the first course a tasteless mushroom pastry (mushroom appeared to have been almost minced) overpowered it completely. The temperature of the food was a constant problem most prominently in the entree - 3 pieces of maple glazed pork tenderloin plated over mashed potatoes w/ hericot vert and asparagus. The pork tenderloin was warm but the remaining items were room temperature. We were truly expecting something more exciting and more interesting, something with "WOW factor" for $80 per person.

The staff was efficient but didn't seem motivated or a bit gregarious. They made no attempt to interact with us and I wondered why. This was explained when our bill arrived with a 20% tip included on a $160 meal for two. If you visit in the winter be aware that lighting in the parking area is limited and on our visit there was still snow and some ice making it was a bit treacherous. Everyone we spoke to was also staying at the Inn and indicated it was a lovely place to stay with a great breakfast!

Hillbrook, Owner/ Innkeeper at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2010

Thank you for attending the Hillbrook Inn! We apologize that the experience was not exactly what you expected for the evening. I will be sharing your review with my staff and deeply appreciate your feedback. Most guests enjoy the experience thoroughly and I feel badly that the evening you were here Hillbrook was not shown in its best light. I welcome the opportunity to create a better dining experience for you and encourage you to contact us, allowing us to correct the situation. In addition, we agree that the lighting needs attention and have everything in place to add new lighting once the ground is thawed this spring. Thank you deeply for your honesty and we hope that you will visit Hillbrook in the future, allowing us to create a memorable experience.

Reviewed July 27, 2009

My husband and I made reservations to have lunch at the Hillbrook Inn during our weekend away in Harper's Ferry. Everything was wonderful! The views around the grounds were just gorgeous and the food and service were outstanding. We plan on going back to stay there the next time we plan a weekend away together.

Hillbrook, Owner at Redbook Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Thank you for the kind words. It was wonderful to share Hillbrook with you as always!

Reviewed March 27, 2009

I have just returned from taking my staff to our annual lunch at Hillbrook. What a treat! A wonderful meal started after a greeting by the chef: puff pastry filled with cheese and broccoli, followed by a plate full of succulent, perfectly cooked sea scallops with pasta, a piece of wild Alaskan salmon, small salad, cheese and dried apricots. Followed with a wonderful chocolate pate served with a sinful vanilla sauce. The service was attentive and gracious.
Our table overlooked the grounds, where we wached geese and birds go by. Very restful. We got a personal tour of part of the grounds by the groundskeeper, who pointed out a hawk's nest to us.
We will be back before another year goes by, I hope. Maybe dinner next time?