“Not fancy but very good food”
Review of La Mezzaluna Cafe

La Mezzaluna Cafe
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Charles Town
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Phone: 304-728-0700
Reviewed May 5, 2013

A friend who lives in Charles Town recommended La Mezzaluna - I visited nearby Harpers Ferry with a friend and was looking for a good local dining spot. I was not disappointed. We had a short wait, which I expected on a Friday evening. We had the fettuccine Alfredo (very good) and manicotti (excellent). Service was pleasant and efficient. The restaurant is small and not very well marked - it is in a shopping center and the overhead sign just says "cafe." This is a good family-run Italian place: if you are tired of the big chains you will enjoy this.

There are newer reviews for La Mezzaluna Cafe

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I visit this area once a year for an event that I participate in at Summit Point Raceway and this restaurant is close to my hotel.

The food has always been decent. The servers are pleasant and the portions just right. This past dining experience I had the calamari as an appetizer and that was nicely deep fried. My main course was the Penne ala Voddka. It was good but not outstanding. Very one dimensional in flavor. But, I know that it would be hard to have exceptional Italian and the prices associated with it so I was not disappointed. Pricing is very reasonable so that's a big plus.

I will say that the cleanliness of the bathroom, (I can only speak for the men's bathroom,) was horrible. It had a terrible stench, the floor was dirty, used paper towels on the floor and overall a buzz kill to dinner. Also, just outside the men's room were four large sacks of what I believe was flour in contact with the floor. This, along with the condition of the mens room, got me to wondering what the kitchen was like. Further attention should be paid to the cleanliness of the rest of the dining area as well. This needs to be addressed immediately.

I sincerely hope that the owners see this and remedy the above as I do like patronizing locally owned eatablishments rather than the blah chain restaurants in the area.

I hope the

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Walked in on a rainy Fri

ay night at 7:30 and Mezzaluna was 2/3 full. The receptionist/waitress was young slim and attractive but had a permanent frown (but she was polite). Fortunately our server Angie was charming efficient and delightful. The dining room was open and airy with tables in the center and a few booths around the periphery. Nothing fancy - no flowers or fancy light fixtures, but pleasant. The lights were even brighter than the diner down the street - while that makes it easy for older guys like me to read the menu it means absolutely no romance.

As for the food - everything comes with a nice basic but tasty and well-executed Italian salad - iceberg, tomatoes, olives, red onions with Italian dressing. Our calamari appetizer was outstanding - light and delicate breading possibly the best I ever had, with a marinara/tomato sauce to dip. The linguini with white clam sauce had enough butter/olive oil to require bypass surgery but was delicious, as was the calamari fra diavolo but be aware - spicy means very spicy and medium is probably a better choice so as not to overpower the other flavors. Decent chianti and other wine is available by the half-carafe, and the coffee torufo (ice cream) dessert was really good. And the bill without tip for all these goodies (2 entrees, 1 appetizer, 1 dessert, 1/2 carafe wine) was $55.

The online menu was accurate and will give you an idea of what Mezzaluna has - but a few items had increased in price by a dollar or so.

5 / 5 in value, 4.5 / 5 in food, 4 /5 in service (they lost a star because of that permanent frown), and 3 / 5 in ambience.

I live in the area - this La Mezzaluna is the best place I have eaten in Charles Town.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Have been here several times the food has never been nothing but excellent. Prices very reasonable for the class of food. The place looks very plain from the outside.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great waitress, willing to accommodate our vegan requests, and delicious dinner (pasta with about a half dozen vegetables). Yummy!