“Excellent Italian hidden in Charlestown.”
Review of La Mezzaluna Cafe

La Mezzaluna Cafe
Ranked #3 of 63 Restaurants in Charles Town
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Phone: 304-728-0700
Reviewed September 24, 2012

While traveling through Charlestown I reluctantly stopped in to Mezzaluna at the recommendation of a shopkeeper. I travel each year extensively throughout Italy, and am passionate about great Italian food and groan at the heavy handed americanized Italian food often found in strip mall restaurants so honestly I expected the worst. The waitress, Stephanie, greeted us warmly and answered the menu questions candidly, no they make none of the many pastas in house ( no fatta in casa), a question that often establishes or lowers my expectations. I probed more....was the Veal in the Parmigiana frozen or freshly breaded in house? She quickly explained it was fresh and the pounded it with a mallet.... hmmmmm I ordered it, and found it excellent, a bit heavy on the mozzarella but one can push that aside. Served with a wonderful salad with a house made herbed vinaigrette, a simply average side of spaghetti the surprise arrived in the form of hot, fresh made fluffy garlic rolls! Let me be clear, you will not dine in this restaurant and fool your palette into thinking your in Italy but accepting one is in the states and Italian food in America has its own character, the food, service and atmosphere are excellent!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The service was good despite a full house on a Friday night! By 6:00 PM every seat was taken. (That should be a good sign as to the quality of the food.) Waitress good! I had angle hair pasta with meant sauce. HUGE portion and very, very, tasty. It came with a salad made from romaine that had onions, tomatoes, olives, etc. Fresh and crunchy. Six Garlic Knots came as part of the meal. My husband had ricotta cheese filled Tortellini, baked and smothered with sauce and more cheese. He claimed that it was delicious and very filling. Total bill with tax and gratuity was $24.88. (Much less than we paid for a meal at one of their competitors the night before with them having double the portion size. 10 times more flavorful, too.) I have to mention the portion size again. We both had enough left over to box up and eat for the following night dinner. CAFE (sign) is the only indication that the restaurant is in a strip-mall right across from the Walmart strip-mall. Use your GPS. Free parking. Red light to get back out onto the main highway. We would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I've eaten at this little gem several times, and the food never disappoints. I am particularly fond of their mussels and little garlic rolls. My friend had the seafood special which included shrimp, mussels and a soft shell crab - it looked and smelled wonderful and he said it was scrumptious. If you are looking for good food in the Charlestown area, this is the place to go.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We go there often. The food is always great. The service is awesome. Atmosphere is quiet, yet family friendly.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I went here on our trip to the Hillbrook Inn thinking it was going to be a great place. Upon arrival, everything was fine except the sign merely said "cafe," making it difficult to locate. We ordered fried calamari as an appetizer, then chicken Alfredo and tortellini. All of the food, including the garlic knots, were absolutely tasteless. We have no clue how this restaurant has gotten any positive reviews. Would not recommend in the slightest. Extremely disappointed.