“A farm-friendly bistro”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Charles Town, West Virginia
“A farm-friendly bistro”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Have eaten at Dish on many occasions during the past six months. The menu is based on local and seasonal foods, and changes every three months or so. Sometimes the meals are exceptional and sometimes just OK... it depends on who is the chef du jour and the supplies on hand. The locally-grown beef dishes are reliably excellent and the specials are fine also as are the salads. When the chef ventures off into new territory the results can be disappointing, e.g. soggy quiches. The wine list is a credit to a small restaurant and bar service is exceptional. The wait staff are well trained and on the ball. The atmosphere is relaxed and the dining room nicely appointed. Dish is closed on Sundays and Mondays, and the kitchen closes at 8:30 pm on week nights.

• Visited April 2014

Charles Town, West Virginia, United States
“Tasting Dinner”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It had been a while since I last visited Dish but had heard they had a new chef and the food was really good so My wife and I joined 4 other people for their "tasting special dinner" on a
Wednesday night. Everything was delicious and cooked perfectly! Presentation could have been fancier for the food that was served (my wife's comment) but I look forward to eating at dish again soon.

Visited March 2014
Jersey Shore
“Neat Spot”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I visited The Dish with some customers and thought the environment was really neat. Reminded me of a restaurant in New York City from the decor and narrow width of the building. The bartender was wonderful (wish I remembered her name). Made a mean French Martini! We sat down at a table and ordered a couple of appetizers. Calamari and Arugula and Sun dried Tomato Pizza. Both excellent. The waitress that we had was attentive but wasn't very friendly. Maybe it was because business was picking up. I ordered scallops which probably wasn't the right choice since I live at the Jersey shore. Instead of the potatoes that came with it which looked like baby sauce on my customers plate, I ordered the french fries, which were excellent. The scallops tasted salty, like they were previously frozen and there wasn't much more to the dish. My other customer got the ribeye and was less than impressed. It looked like the cook beat it to death. The sirloin got a thumbs up. We had creme brulee for dessert and it was horrible. Had a strong mint taste to it. So overall, some good, some bad. I would go there again and try something else. Maybe I'll stay at the bar since the bartender was so friendly.

• Visited April 2014
Winchester, Virginia
“Nice place for Valentine's Day”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Went to Dish for a first date, on Valentine's day (no pressure). You'll want a reservation on the weekend. We were a few minutes early and got seated right away. The place was packed shortly there after.
We were in no hurry and wanted to talk, but the server tried her best to keep us on schedule. They have a nice beer list, I had an oatmeal stout, she had a glass of Riesling.
We started with the Caesar salad with grilled romaine. Very good, great dressing, the grilled romaine was interesting.
We both had steaks. they were cooked to order and the lyonaise potatoes with the ribeye were not as good as the handcut fries drizzled with ranch that came with the sirloin.
Big cup of coffee and crème brulee was a very nice way to finish.
We wound up being there for 2.5 hours. Despite a subtle (and completely appropriate) visit from the manager to see if there was anything else we'd like.

• Visited February 2014
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Not a good memory maker.”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The place was basically empty. We had very slow service.. waited 5 minutes before anyone appeared at all. Seafood chowder extremely fishy. No repeat visit for us.

• Visited January 2014