“Great Hotel”

The Inn at Charles Town
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Charles Town
Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Inn was exceptionally clean , the complimentary breakfast was excellant. The only problem we had was with the front desk. Judie was not very friendly or helpful. She is the only thing we have to complain about. Clean rooms , gorgeous views, etc etc etc
The Inn needs to find more friendly people at the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed May 4, 2009

We just returned from Charles Town and agree with much of what was said except we had excellent customer service at the Inn at Charles Town and also the racetrack. Everyone was very friendly and willing to help. Our room was great. A king size, nonsmoking room facing the racetrack...next time we should view the race from our room.

It was crowded due to the Kentucky Derby.

We couldn't get in the Skyline Lounge, but did do the Epic Buffet. We all thought it was pretty good. A little pricey, but expected. Next time I'll make our reservations earlier for the lounge. Again, it's pricey, but I think worth it to sit in a nice area all night and have the freedom of coming and going.

The breakfast buffet at the hotel was excellent for being free. We both thought the eggs were very good, but would have liked cheese or steamed veggies to add to them. The bacon was excellent, pancakes okay; hard boiled eggs, cereals, grits, oatmeal, breads and pastries, yogurt, juices, milk, coffee, tea...the only complaint were the bagels..not too good...although I'm fussy with bagels.

The racetrack was very nice, but agree incredibly smokey and yes, you have to walk right thru it to get to the nonsmoking section...we couldn't wait to get back to the room and take a shower....we both felt really gross.

Very nice WalMart and lots of restaurants in the area. We enjoyed IHOP.

Would recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2009

hotel was excellent......

wish we could have had a view looking the racetrack ......

breakfast was excellent...

service was great linda and jazzy were awesome!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Although this new hotel was clean and well decorated, we had serious issues with the service and management. We were traveling with our 15-month old son, so I reserved a crib and informed the hotel that we might be arriving late. When we arrived there was no crib in the room and we were told they only had one but it had been given away to another guest, although they admitted that the reservation indicated that a crib was reserved. Shortly after 8 pm, the kids working at the front desk said no manager was on duty, that the manager was home in bed, and there would be no manager until 9 am the next day. The kids abandoned the front desk for 10 minutes at a time and showed little understanding that an infant can't be left to sleep on the floor. They eventually dropped off a pack-and-play with no bottom and then literally ran down the hall away from our room. When a manager finally was available at 10 am the next morning she was rude, unsympathetic and unhelpful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2009

New hotel in the last year or so. Vast improvement over previous Charles Town choices. Ask for a room on the backside so that your window faces the track. You can watch the races from your room. Rooms are very nice. Free breakfast is pretty good. If you have the time, tour some of the wineries in the Loudon (Virginia) Valley wine country -only about 15-17 miles away. Breaux Vineyards and Sunset Hills were our favorites. Bluemont was also very nice. Harper's Ferry is worth checking out, as is Sharpsburg battlefield (that 's Antietam to you Northern sympathizers in the War of Northern aggression). Slots at CTown Races are Slots are tight tight tight - save your money for the races. Races are fun.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Charles Town for our Anniversary. We stayed at the Inn, It was very nice. The room was nice and modern. They also provide breakfast in the lobby until 10am. No complaints about the hotel. We had dinner at the Skyline Terrace which overlooks the race track. We had a great view of the horse races. The buffett was OK but not really worth the $25/per person charge. It was crowded on the Saturday evening we were there and found that the staff had a hard time kepping the buffett filled with food. What I did have to eat was good but, in my opinion, not worth the price we paid. We found the Casino to be VERY smoky. We are not smokers so it was very obvious to us how bad the place smelled of smoke. There is a "non-smoking" section of the casino but you have to walk through all the smokers to get to it. Also, there is SO much smoking in the casino, it just floats into the non-smoking section. Upon leaving the Casino and going back to our room we had to immediately shower to get rid of the smell. It's a personal preference but I won't be going back to Charles Town until WV makes this a non-smoking Casino. I have a feeling I won't be back again...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed in this hotel as part of a larger trip and was there for just one night. Overall, it was a good experience but I think I stayed there before a couple employees got the hang of customer service. One of the children working behind the desk was rather snide and when I attempted to discuss this with an assistant manager the following morning, he sided with her and was equally snide. However, I did meet several members of the upper management and was incredibly impressed with them.

I can say the hotel is beautiful, the rooms exquisite and the view from the back of the hotel is unbelievable (the race track is on the back of the hotel). I loved the buffet and the staff there were extrenely friendly and took great care of me and my dining companion. Warning: Most mornings the lights on the track are lit for the morning training of the horses so keep your curtains closed if you are a late riser. However, the hotel provides black out curtains which are more than adequate.

I also met some of the security personnel in a hallway and found them to be dedicated to the safety of the hotel and its guests but also friendly.

I didn't do any gambling but I did walk through the gaming section and found it to be colorful, classy and it carried a great amount of eye appeal.

The race track doesn't have racing Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, and I was there on a Wednesday, so it was dark but the following morning I was permitted to watch the early morning warm up session and the track is beautiful and well-laid out.

To be fair, this probably isn't a hotel to take the kids as there isn't really anything for them to do beyond watching television or movies. However, if you are celebrating a special occasion, planning to get married or looking for a weekend getaway this is the place to go! It's also located almost directly across the street from the National Park, Harper's Ferry and just a few short miles to the town.

This is a great location for a vacation and this hotel is a luxurious and slightly decadent way to spend it.

Writer's note: I am including some photos I took while there. I apologize in advance for power lines in the view, maybe a little fuzziness, etc. Also, I apologize for the clothing on the bed when taking the photos. I kind of ran in and threw things down since I was so tired.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MojaveRattler
Hondo20132, Director of Hotel Operations at The Inn at Charles Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2008

Mojave,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the poor service at our Reception Desk. Certainly curt and snide responses to your queries are unacceptable. We are quite proud of the hotel and are always striving to improve. You have my promise we'll continue to improve.

Happy Holidays!

Home2 Suites by Hilton Charles Town
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville

Been to The Inn at Charles Town? Share your experiences!