WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Pleasant surprise!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bear Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cass
Bear Creek Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Cass
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Overall we were very pleased.
They have amazing food in the store downstairs. Highly recommend the biscuits and gravy! The room was great, clean, and the bathroom was very clean. One downside was the ceiling, its cracking in places but not a big deal. This is a great place at a great price. You can walk to the Cass station from there.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank blewmeany

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We just recently (Aug.. 5 & 6 )stayed at the Bear Creek Lodge in Cass, W VA. My husband, myself, and our teenage son all thought our room was very nice and I totally loved the decor, our room was very clean, and plenty of towels , cups, coffee, bathroom needs, and a microwave were all furnished, we had NO complaints at all. The people who work at the restaraunt were the nicest people and always said hello with a smile on their face, anything we needed was no problem for them to do , I have no idea why certain people had a problem with the rooms or people maybe their not use to friendly country people, and are use to high class motels, if you want a high class motel with door-men , elevators, parking attendents, etc. then go there but if you want friendly country people in a small country town, with down home cooking (that is soooo good),and a comfortable place to sleep that you can afford, walking distance to Cass Railroad, nice country stores, then this is the place for you. We never had any problem with anyone who was around or in the store or motel , all that was said to us was hello or have a nice day, or see ya later drive careful.... Give this place a try we did and had NO PROBLEMS !!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cheryl S
Hico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I've lodged here on numerous occasions. Most who choose to stay do so because they are on a budget, or they are just cheap all the way around. So for those of you who want to knock this facility maybe you should spend a little more money and go somewhere else. There are a few things that could be improved as anywhere most of us go. But when it comes to affordability of the lodge and the food at the restaurant it can't be beat anywhere in that area. The owner Ms. Minghini has went out of her way to accommodate myself and my children when we have been there. We even bring our staff there on occasions to ride the train and lodge with bear creek. We are always given the best rates when we do. As for the employees for the most part they are just good ol country folk. If your scared of them go back to the city. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. Let's see we used to call people that whinned like some on these posts pickers in the 80's. Thank you bear creek for giving us a place to lay our heads and food in our tummy at an affordable rate. This left me more money once again to do other things I wanted to do in the area.

Room Tip: I like the rooms closest to the ends but not very end.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peggy B
Bent mountain, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is not a Cracker Barrell. It is a local convenience store with a snack bar and a few rooms available to rent. If you have time, the food here is very, very good. Be prepared to be chatted up by locals. The staff is very nice and accomodating.

We did not stay here, but I wish we had. A very nice couple we met on the Cass Scenic railroad did stay here and they thought it was great. The staff did show us a room. The rooms overlook the Greenbriar River and the Cass Scenic railroad, The rooms do have air conditioning. The company houses at the State park are not air conditioned.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich, Suffolk, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I arrived with my Harley riding buddy on a very wet morning. We both ordred omlets from Jenny and WOW, what an omlete it was!

Come to Bear Creek Lodge for breskfast, you'll be as delighted as i was.

I didn't stay, but hope to return one day to do so.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SSgt_Fury
Kenton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The room was clean when we arrived,however the bed NEVER got made and we had to ask for towels every day.we watched the locals taking stuff out to their car and we told the girl at the counter and all she said was it happens every weekend!!!!The cooks tried hard and I was okay with the food....owner definitely needs to make improvementas and stop letting people just take what they want and walk out the door.needs someone to work cash register only while the cook does their thing...not both

Room Tip: if you just want closer to the mountain and dont mind a small little place to eat this is fine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
West Salem, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was helping our friends look for a place to stay since they invited us to go with them to Cass WV to ride the locamotive. Well, I found this site looked liked nice and clean rooms and reasonable. Well you know the saying" you get what you pay for" well in this case it is TRUE. Our friends made the reservations ahead of time for 2 nights being told yes the rooms are clean the building is only 6 years old. Well what a surprise we had when we arrived. Cobwebs in corners, bugs on inside of curtain, cobwebs and spiders on outside door, a huge bug on the outside door, hair on the sheets. The outside on the grounds had garbage everywhere. We did stay for one night since it was late and a drive to go somewhere else. We slept with our clothes on and shower in the morning. YUK FEELING. My friend had to fight for a whole day to get back her money for the second night. The employees were very nice about helping her but, when it came to the owner she had her employees lie for her so she didn't have to talk to my friend. Finally when she spoke to my friend was very rude and said "fine I will refund you, your money now get out of my place. Oh yeah instead of a refund they wanted to give us a free night stay, "What were they thinking? Must have thought we were stupid" Well, all said and done can you imagine how if felt? I was the one who found this LOVELY place. NOT. I will never be able to go by what a site shows you or tells you. I feel so terrible. But, the train ride was awesome and the people at the Country Store and Restaurant across the street were great and very nice. Linda, OH.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Linda L

Travelers are raving about these Cass hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cass
Silver Creek Lodge
#14 of 24 in Snowshoe
Inn at Snowshoe
Inn at Snowshoe
#3 of 3 in Snowshoe

Been to Bear Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!