“Run down”

North Bend State Park Lodge
Fairfax
“Run down”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This place is a dump. The grounds look terrible, mini-golf is moldy, swimming pool has over 36 steps up a cliff to get to, crayons and bandaids were on the floor between the desk in my room and the fridge when I arrived, and were there when I left. Towels are skimpy too. Room is big but that airconditioning was going to blow me away. Dish TV has nothing on it and The Lodge food is awful. The food there is frozen, not fresh. Please watch Robert Irvine and see that you can save money when you actually use REAL fresh food. Only bright spot was the guy who gave us the golfing equipment, he was nice. Please find some money and spruce this place up State of West Virginia.

Room Tip: good rooms? If I had seen one I would help you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lsilver4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

This was at least my 10th time staying at a cabin in North Bend State Park while visiting family. First let me tell you that there are many positives. The cabins are beautiful on the outside; you feel like you are walking out of a postcard! The trash is picked up daily from outside the cabins and the grounds are kept very clean & the rates are reasonable.

Each year I go back I hope that the inside will be updated. I swear I have pictures from the early 90's and everything is the same right down to the box televisions. I understand that these are cabins and not five star resorts but there is no excuse for not having decent sheets or minimally a fitted sheet. The linens are so gross that I bring my own. The comforters have been there forever and are polyester and paper thin. There are only a few cabins and no reason these cannot be updated.

The other major issue I have is that the cabins are filthy. I know you are out in the woods and you track dirt in but surely the cabins can be cleaned after each family leaves. We could not go barefoot even the first day we were there. I went to the hall closet to get the vacuum out and I swear it was from the 70's & it didn't even work. I used the broom which was so old the bristles were uneven.

For the 3rd year in a row we have tried to book activities prior to coming to the park. It just simply cannot be accomplished. I have suggested that when you book online that there be options as to activities you can do so that the park can plan. For example offering certain activities on certain days. They were not interested in any type of change. We asked for referrals regarding horseback riding and they couldn't give any. We asked about kayaking and was told the place was only open on weekends, yet the park was full!

It is really sad to see a place that has so much potential to just be mediocre. Each year we reserve for next year. This is the first year we have not done so.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GlobalGlamCat
Keighley
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you're looking for a lodge with lots of facilities, organised "things to do" and some night-life, then this is not the place for you,
If you appreciate a large room, a grand view from the window, a wonderful shower and opportunity to relax, then this could be right for you.
Add to that some bargain meals in the restaurant, and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff and you are on to a winner!
It sounds as if it's in the middle of nowhere, but we managed to visit various historical sites (try Weston), visited the State Capitol with it's wonderful museum (go on a Saturday, the parking is free) and even put our feet into Ohio.
As a bonus we saw groups of deer below our bedroom window, every evening - apart from the evening we were entertained by a tremendous thunderstorm!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gibjan
State College
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed there one week night in June as part of the $99 "Voyage" package deal. It doesn't get better than that! The price included an overnight stay at the lodge and tickets for the Blennerhassett Regional History Museum in Parkersburg, transportation to and from Blennerhassett Island, a tour of the Blennerhassett Mansion and a wagon ride across the island - all of that for 2 people!!!
The inside of the lodge is very cozy with lots of wood, a gift store, and a large sitting area with a fireplace, comfortable seating and games and books for bad weather entertainment.
We had asked for a room with one double and one queen bed and were quite happy with it. The second floor room was clean, and all the modern amenities were there. Right outside our window was a large number of mature trees trees, and we nearly felt as if we were living in a deluxe tree house.
We had read some bad reviews about the restaurant, but we didn't have any complaints about our well-cooked and priced breakfast. Again - the view through those large picture windows was stunning.
There is just one criticism I have - the lodge building looks very bland and has absolutely no curb appeal. A few hundred $$$ spent on planters, hanging baskets and a few Adirondacks chairs would do wonders for that place. Next to the restaurant is a concrete patio, but without outdoor furniture and sun umbrellas it doesn't do anybody any good!

Room Tip: Always ask for a room away from elevators and ice and vending machines.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Reiselust1947
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 28, 2013

What fun it was to find a room in this modest resort and to find it accommodating and comfortable. Beds were fine, lots of hot water, great view of the woods from our window, and even a flat screen TV. The reason it was a surprise was that the resort is way out in the country in an area that seems to have been forgotten. The rail-trail was the attraction for us, so we weren't picky about lodging or meals. We did eat in the restaurant twice and were quite satisfied with the food. All staff and housekeeping personnel were pleasant and wonderfully helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floor to avoid noise from people walking.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SandAngel13_12
Niles, Ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed here several times while riding through the area. The rooms are well maintained and clean. The people working here have always been very helpful, friendly and courteous. The restaraunt is lacking. A beautiful setting surrounded by glass windows that you can watch the deer graze through. The food is at best average and this last time I was there on a Sunday morning when I could only get the breakfast buffet. It had very little variety and was not hot.
The lodge itself is an old design with walls you can hear through and you can feel people walking in the hall. If you want a secluded getaway this fits the bill and I have noticed bicyclers seem to frequent the lodge. The price is reasonable for a state park lodge. My room with no discount or advance reservations was $86 tax and all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Motorcycle-tourer
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I marked "poor" because this state park resort is probably one that, in my traveling experience, needs the most improvement, and upgrading of basic features. It is pretty lacking compared to other park resorts.

Just a list of random issues or observations:

It's tiny for a resort-lodge - about the capacity and size of a medium sized motel. This impacts the breadth of activities and amenities available.

The dining room menu is fairly limited, and during the week is only open until 8 (they recommend being seated no later than 7:30.) No snack shop, and no refrigerated or frozen items are carried in the gift shop (this is the first resort type place I've been to that did not pick up a few extra $$$ by keeping a freezer stocked with ice cream treats in the gift shop.) So, you simply can't buy a normal thing like an ice cream bar inside the hotel. Normally, I would not care, but the food options are severely lacking in Cairo and Harrisville, the two closest towns, so staying here makes for a "food desert."

No game room. And there is nothing close to the hotel itself in terms of recreation except a tennis court and miniature golf- the miniature golf is severly decayed, and there are sticks and leaves all over each hole. The tennis court is a wreck with weeds and cracks. Both are right outside the hotel so it's frustrating to see stuff like this that is unusable.

No good walking or hiking trails at the resort itself. There is one trail of sorts marked "To Pool" that goes down an extremely steep hill. It ends at a road and you have to walk along the road to visit the stuff such as the pool. The park maps shows several trails on the grounds but most of them don't go anywhere we wanted to go.

The pool is basically a drive away from the hotel.

The bike rental for the North Bend Trail is pretty lacking. Every bike had rusted chains and looked neglected. The kid I spoke with said that management ignores their requests for a can of WD-40. The kids that work there are ignorant of proper bike tools - I asked about patch kits and one showed me a kit meant for tubeless auto tires that they had hanging in the bike shop. I passed on these bikes, although the place in town (Cairo) is more expensive and just as bad.

I saw one water fountain in the entire park, near the campgrounds.

I said in the title it's good if remote is your thing. Here is what I mean. This park would bore the average family silly. We mainly saw geezers here, and a bunch of WV corrections officers on a retreat.

The older part of the resort hotel building did not smell good. It had musty, old smells in the hallways. In general, the grounds around the hotel and the hotel itself have a "well past prime" vibe of age and a bit of decay.

The wifi quality is excellent (no younger guests draining the bandwidth with games) and the cable is Dish TV, with a very limited selection of viewable channels.

If you don't like large family groups or noisy young people, North Bend Resort is your kind of place, because they probably don't stay here. (We did see a lot of families in the campground area.)

I'm comparing this park to places like Blackwater Falls SP in WV, and Natural Bridge SP in KY, so I believe that I am being fair.

Room Tip: We stayed in an older room in the sub-220 range upstairs. There is a newer wing of the resort that h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank StanleyTweedle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairo
Hampton Inn & Suites Parkersburg Downtown
The Blennerhassett Hotel
The Blennerhassett Hotel
#2 of 11 in Parkersburg
Country Road Cabins

Been to North Bend State Park Lodge? Share your experiences!