“Smoke Hole Caverns and Log Cabin Resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cabins
Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cabins
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We brought our families together for a few days of relaxation and adventure before our wedding. We also had our rehearsal dinner at Smoke Hole.

We can not express our gratitude enough to the friendly staff that made our family time together truly unforgettable. Not only did the staff at Smoke Hole prepare delicious and affordable food and keep every promise that they made, but they also went over and beyond to call of duty to make sure that we were happy and cared for. Our dinner area was decorated and a special table prepared for my husband, son and I...to our surprise. The cabins were comfortable and beautifully decorated. The common area is family friendly and a wonderful place to spend time together. This is the kind of family owned resort that I want to encourage, so please bring your family here and have a wonderful time!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 19, 2010

We had a very nice time. We rented the family cabin that sleeps six. Nice cabin, plenty of room for everyone, very clean and well equiped. Kinda pricey but they had plenty of things for the kids to do at the resort. We are planning to go again in the late fall or early winter . Would like to see some type of coupon to get you to come back , like 2 nights get third free or % off next visit. Cabin needs back porch w/ own grill and fire pit. other than that everything was great...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Motel was cute & clean & comfortable, right next to Smoke hole Cavern. My issue was with what they did not tell me, & the attitude of some of the resort staff.
1st of all you have to check in several miles down the road from the motel at the cabins/resort area. It seems the gift store which was next to motel burned down last summer which will cause you a number of issues... for example there is no WIFI or cell service at motel, no food or staff after 5pm when caverns tour stop. Also the land line phone in your room only works for 800 #'s !! We found a 800 # for the motel & called it from our room (at about 9pm) after maybe a dozen rings they picked up. We asked about why we couldn't access WIFI, it was then they told us to about the fire & we'd have to get in our car & drive 5-7 miles to resort to use the WIFI .. then she hung up. We knew pool was at resort not motel so we drove to resort to use pool after hiking only be told pool had a leak & was closed. We could drive 2miles & use a small pool at the cabins...again were not told ahead of time. I feel that they mislead us on purpose. We asked for extra pillows and had to drive to resort ourselves to get them.
the attitude of some of the staff was that we should be understanding because they had a fire & some teenagers trashed their pool. I might have been if I was forewarned or given a discount for staying in a motel with out a working phone! or if I'd been aware I was going to have to use a 1/4 tank of gas to get to any basic amenities. If I had it to do over, I'd stay elsewhere.

1  Thank a trudy
Reviewed July 9, 2010

My wife and I booked out stay at Smoke Hole Cabins before we found this site. I was very nervous about going after I read the reviews on the "out of control" business owner. We were going to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and I wanted no BAD experiences. We found the resort on the internet and booked our stay for 3 days. We late called back because the web-site advertised by 2 days get the 3rd day free. Staff seemed reluctant to honor the advertisement as we were told that was outdated and was for the spring time. After staff checked the web-site and saw no date on the offer, they honored the advertisement as posted. So far so good...

We had a GREAT time! We stayed in a Honeymoon Cabin and loved it. It was very clean, and had great construction. The furniture was very nice and the full kitchen was very useful. The water pressure in the cabin was OUTSTANDING, it alone was enough to wash any dirt off you! The jacuzzi worked just as intended and was a nice added touch. Each porch has a nice bench to sit on as well. Wifi is available at no cost to each cabin as well. Cable TV is in each cabin as well. My Verizon cell phone had decent signal as well, however, lost it pretty quick after leaving the resort. A back porch with an old worn out two seat bench was available, however we didn't spend anytime on the back porch. The bed was nicely outfitted and did take one night for me to get used to. My wife slept well the first night. The bed was a little stiff for me.

Housekeeping made it in each day after 3pm and was out in a few moments.

The grounds were very clean and taken care of. The convention center at the resort is the new Gift Shop as the old one burnt to the ground recently. The Cabins, Cottages, and Hotel are all on three seperate venues spanning about 2.7 mile on the same road. The resort has a nice size pond with chairs and swings around it. A fire ring is present for you too have your own fire as you sit and watch the sun go down.

Fire rings are available on a first come first serve basis behind the cabins, and provided a great added touch for viewing the stars.

The staff was pleasant, and informative. A few seemed slightly distant and didn't speak unless they had to interact. But, I did not find that offensive. We never did find the out of control owner who is alleged to go around cursing customers.

Overall, we were very pleased and look forward to our return trip.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

If you are vacationing in WV, this is THE place to stay. It is pretty close to many attractions. The Honeymoon Cabins are very nice, with everything you will need for your stay. The resort has a great gift shop and a refreshing, sparkling pool (which was great since we were here during a heat wave.) There is a stocked pond and a stream running through the area. It is so much fun to feed to the golden trout. Bring quarters for the machines, it is surprisingly addictive!

Petersburg is your closest town. If you like little pubs, go to The Office. You have to knock to get in, but it was so fun. We also ate and had a few drinks at 3rd Base. The food was good and it is a good place to cool off or buy a t-shirt. Fox's Pizza was really good. There is also a nice grocery story.

We read other reviews about the resort before we came and are so glad that we ignored any negative responses. We will say that the resort posts their very clear and very fair rules. For some reason, a few groups didn't like this.

We did not have a problem with this, we want to stay at a clean and quiet establishment. They are extremely biker-friendly. When we there, there were many other riders. The rides around the area are breathtaking! If you are looking for a friendly, clean, and beautiful place, Smoke Hole is for you!

The Hunters of Goshen, In.

Reviewed April 23, 2010

My wife and I fell in love with the area a few years ago riding our hogs through the area and we drove by Smoke Hole Resort. This year we decided to stay there. The staff is unfriendly from check in to the maids to the grounds keepers. The beds are uncomfortable and the bedcovers are gross (bedsheets seemed clean). The resort itself is located in one of the most gorgeous places in all of WV.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed there in 2006 and my son and his wife went there for their honeymoon in 2008. I was looking for an inexpensive deer hunt for my husband, son and myself and came across them on the internet. I had no idea that they have an outfitting business. I called and talked to Josh ( the son who runs the outfitting) and set up a hunt on their own property. He suggested that we come down before the hunt and he would take us out on 4 wheelers to the hunting sites and make sure we liked it. We went down in October and had a fabulous time. The owners were nice and even gave us free tickets to their daughters Bull Riding event at her farm. Unfortunately the weather was horrible and we did not go to that. The 4 wheel ride was unbelievable and I took some of the most beautiful pictures that I have ever taken. Josh was extremely knowedgable of his land and the deers movements. We went away feeling we made the right decistion. We arrived for our hunt and their was a slight mixup in the cabin arrangement (due to the fire and loss of records), but we could not have been happier. Josh met with us and took us and another party of two out on the 4-wheelers to show up where each of us would be located. We had a fabulous time even though we did not get that big buck we were wishing for. ( my son and I each got a doe). The management program Josh has is new and I have no doubt given a few years...it will be great. But that did not take anything away from the experience. We had our meals each night at their Log House and the food was unbelievable! Boy can they cook. The family welcomed us into their family despite the hard times they were going through. (You really would not have known anything was wrong) I would love to go back again this year, but the economy will not allow it. I strongly reccomend it to everyone. Stay at the Log Cabins or the cabins down the road (which is ran by Josh). I did not stay at the motel which has since burnt down.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabins
Canaan Valley Resort
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Canaan Village Inn
Canaan Village Inn
#2 of 7 in Davis

Been to Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Resort? Share your experiences!