“Worse 2 months of my life!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cabins
Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cabins
Reviewed March 18, 2008

With my line of work, I am placed in a city usually for 3 months. I lived in Petersburg West Virginia from April, 2007-June 2007. Due to the rural area, my company placed me to live on Jerry Hedricks property. He put me in a very run down trailer house that I believe had been in the Potomac River flood! During the 2 months there, Jerry was constantly coming around, usually around 9 or 10 at night. He made me very uncomfortable with his maneurisms. The last weekend I was there, the air conditioner broke. The temperature reached 92 degrees in the house. I tried calling several times and yet it never got fixed. At one point, I spoke with my company and they called him so he finally placed me in one of his cabins after being very rude over the phone. I had a cat with me so I left her in the cabin so she didn't have to be in the heated house. When I came home after a day at work, rather than call me or have the guests wait, he locked my cat up and let the guests start to move in. I first went over to the trailer house and someone had left the door wide open and all of my stuff thrown in the front door. I had a computer, printer, digital camera, etc in there that could have been stolen. Fortunately after this day, I was able to get out of there and find a safer more comfortable place my last month there. I have stayed in several states and never have I been treated this way. The town of Petersburg is the greatest most loving town I have ever been too. So I will never hold my miserable living arrangements against it! If you are traveling for several months or just several days, I would NEVER recommend staying at Smoke Hole Log Cabins/Cottages or the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank traveler1998

Reviewed November 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Smoke Hole Cabins, run out of the Smoke Hole Caverns tourist shop on Route 28 about 10 miles south of Petersburg WV. We were there on Thanksgiving 2007 for a 2-night getaway. After reading other reviews we were nervous about staying there, but had driven by many times and wanted to see for ourselves what the cabins were like. We liked the setting very much - on a peaceful patch of green with most cabins a few hundred feet from the highway so not bothered by traffic noise. The 25 or so "honeymoon" and family cabins are on a small trout stream and have beautiful golden trout for you to feed with pellets. There is also an attractive playground and pool, not relevant to us during a winter visit, but probably great for families in summer and fall. Our cabin was clean, nicely decorated and had a full modern kitchen w/ microwave & coffee maker & coffee packets, a jacuzzi, plus a shower in the bathroom, a wood fireplace (which we did not use), and cable TV but no VCR or DVD player. It was cute and cozy but minimally equipped in some ways, compared to some other vacation rentals. No towel racks in the bathroom (we were putting wet towels on doorhandles or the floor), no phone, no soap dish at the jacuzzi, no hairdryer, no kleenex in bathroom, no paper towels in kitchen, no salt & pepper shakers, and one thin blanket on the bed (we did get another blanket the next day after asking for it). The owners seem to be chintzy. There were minimal dishes - enough for 2 people but no extra (e.g., 3 teaspoons, 3 small plastic drinking glasses, no wine glasses) - every time we had a drink or snack, we were washing the dishes. The owners also charge extra for firewood ($5 a bundle). One strange thing is that there was an aerosal device on the fireplace mantel called "ProVet" (I think) that sprayed something in the room every 15 minutes with a "zap" sound. It had a sickly sweet air-freshener smell. We opened the device and discovered it was some kind of insecticide. Ewww! It annoyed us so much we finally put it outside on the back deck. We would have been OK with all this but then discovered (as another reviewer noted) that the mattress was covered in plastic - bizarre and annoying. Even with the mattress pad and sheets, we could hear the plastic crinkling every time we moved. It felt like sleeping in a baby's crib! We did use the jacuzzi and enjoyed it, but the bedding was disturbing and seemed "cheap." We thought the cabin was a bit overpriced at $145/night (incl.tax), esp. in the offseason when we were practically the only people there. The owners also charge extra for using a credit card. So we probably won't stay there again.

All that said, the location is nice and if you want to visit Smoke Hole Caverns, Seneca Caverns, Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks or Dolly Sods, you are within 20 miles of all those sights. We visited both caverns and enjoyed them, and hiked to the viewing platform at Seneca Rocks - very nice 2-3 hour day hike with a 960-foot (but easy) ascent. A few miles south on Route 28, just across from the road to Dolly Sods, are Harman North Forth Cabins - same design and great setting right on river - look very nice, similar price -- we'll try those next time.

6  Thank RudyPumpkin
Reviewed July 8, 2007

You don't post reviews that include profanity, threats or personal insults. Well, you would not be able to communicate with the owners of his facility. My family had a misunderstanding about the use of the pool. We returned from dinner, and went to use the pool about 9:30 pm. The pool gate was open, the lights around the pool were on (the pool does not have underwater lights), there were no pool hours posted, and music was playing over the stereo, so we assumed it was ok to swim. The owner came to the pool and started yelling at us for being in the water. Then he continued to yell and curse as he followed us to the cabin. One of the swimmers in the pool was actually a relative of a registered guest that had stopped by after dinner. When the owner found out that this swimmer was not a "registered" guest, he proceeded to order that relative, his mother, sister and grandfather off the premises.

Then my mother and sister tried to explain that the four "unregistered" guests were not staying the night, they had only stopped by to visit after dinner. The owner continued to argue, yell and curse our family because we were in violation of the resort "rules".

The rules did clearly state no guests were allowed at the cabins, however, we thought this meant no overnight guests. We did not realize that we were not allowed to have a visitor at the cabin. So, we were wrong, but the owner of the facility certainly made no attempt to courteously explain the situation, and ask our visitors to leave. Instead he repeatedly used profanity, yelled and insulted us.

I'd advise anyone wanting to relax in this area to stay away from this facility. At check out, we were told never to return to their business. They really don't need to worry.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
20  Thank dunkardvalley
Reviewed July 7, 2007

We booked a cabin for a family weekend. Upon arriving the grounds are beautiful and the kids were very excited to swim in the pool. Our cabin was also very nice.....however in the evening my son arrived later - and we had allowed him in our six person cabin limit - but with the two little ones in our cabin - we had eight. Some of the members of our party were swimming in the pool after dark (which had no time restrictions posted) and the owner= Jerry Hedrick came down and using profanity instructed them out of the pool . He then walked straight into our cabin without knocking (my granddaughter was in the middle of changing her clothes) and continued his rampage of profanity.
There were little ones in the cabin (6 and under) who were very scared by this outburst. We asked for a refund and stated we would leave immediately and he refused to refund our money.
We left anyway - because we felt we had been severly mistreated by such an establishment. We are out $412. 00 and have severely hurt feelings. We do not recommend that anyone stay here!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
15  Thank Moore23Cna
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Positives:
1. Close to most anything you want to go to in the area.
2. Clean and neat accomodations.
3. Great Pool, play area, and walking area for kids.
4. NOT directly facing the main road. Cars can fly down the country roads and these are off the main road with plenty of space between.
5. Nice grilling areas outside for a more "camp" like experience.
6. Beatiful view .
7. Additional "fun" activites offered by the owners - the Outfitters (hunting fishing experiences), tours in the "back country". All with costs associated.
8. Cable TV and Wireless Connection (you must ask when you check in what the network key is, you won't find it posted in the room anywhere and is a few miles back to the check in area if no one is home in the owners house that sits on the property)

Negatives:
1. No Cell Phone Coverage - no phones in cabins. (this could be a positivie for some)
2. No alarm clocks/clocks.
3. None of todays typical conveniences in the rooms: blow dryer, iron, ironing board, etc.
4. Mattress and Pillows are very hard.

All in all, it was a great experience - we just needed to know some things in advance and we would have been more prepared.

While the owners have a down to earth atmosphere and way about them, they can be overbearing and definitely have a salesman mentality in that they try to persuade you to partake in their activites that have costs associated. It is a business!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank Cat_Snoski
Reviewed May 20, 2007

If you don't mind constant dog barking the cabins are nice enough... Lot's of rules and regs that kind of make you feel as if they will evict you at a moments notice.......One unbearable aspect was the vinyl cover on the mattress....If you've never slept on an air mattress you won't know what I'm talking about, but they make you sweaty and sticky in the morning.....I found this to be unacceptable...I mean I can understand wanting to preserve your property but that was going a little to far.....It made nighttime something to dread.....

4  Thank ceddy45742
Reviewed November 18, 2006

After months of searching my sister found this place. We live in ny and she lives in nc so it was halfway so it worked for eveyone. The cabins are new or close to it some have fireplaces and some have woodstoves, but there is also a heater built into the wall for heat. This was a great place for a small family reunion. there is not much to do there but the caves are awesome and the mountains are magestic. Hunting well lets just say you better shoot on top and hope your camp is on the bottom. fishing stream behind the cabins thats fishable. will we go back yes

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabins
Canaan Valley Resort
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Canaan Village Inn
Canaan Village Inn
#2 of 7 in Davis

Been to Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Resort? Share your experiences!