Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Resort
$49
Orbitz.com
$103
Travelocity
Hampton Inn Elkins(Elkins)(Great Value!)
$96
$89
Hampton.com
$79
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgift shopsmoke holetroutseneca rockscavern tourspruce knobfull kitchenback porchfront porchbring foodheart shaped jacuzzibeautiful mountainsstayed longerwest virginiacable tvjacuzzi tubgreat weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The main Resort layout is well planned and very nice - far enough away for privacy yet close enough were you can be friendly. We rented the Family Cabin for the weekend and could have stayed longer. Cabin was clean and easily fit 4 adults and 2 small children. Everything (interior and exterior) was provided - including a stocked fish pond. Internet was satisfactory for 4 laptops. TV had all the main channels - but could be a little bigger and updated. Nice porch with plenty of room. Grill was shared w/ Cabin 11, but they didn't use it. Nice pool and gazebos, and landscaping is well done and I didn't spot any trash on the entire complex - very well maintained and the staff was very attentive to the surroundings and cabins. This is a perfect place for a family reunion. The only draw back was the service road next to Cabin 12 and the closeness to Route 55 with some truck traffic noise otherwise I would rate it 5.

Room Tip: Stay away from Family Cabin 12 if you can - it is right next to service road and very close to Route 55.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The bathroom was a mess. Black mold growing on bathroom floor. Sink cabinet is falling apart. The floor also in kitchen area is pulling apart. When they said firepit at each cabin not at mine. Brought wood with us and no firepit. Misleading

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed @ the Log Motel; it is 2 miles from the resort and cabins. It was clean & comfy. After seeing the cabins, I wish we had rented one instead! The motel was fine; bring your own hair dryer and plan your breakfast...they are constructing a gift shop on this property (at motel) so construction may be going on...

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank srmvalleygirl
Smoke_Hole_Resort, Manager at Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Thank you for your post and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Your right our log motel is clean and comfortable but is located 2 1/2 miles from the log cabin resort area which is brushed and polished for eye appeal. Our landscaping, spring fed stream thru the property, pond w/fountain and the river access help you relax. There is just something about water that relaxes all people. As for the giftshop, for those who do not know our giftshop was burnt to the ground by a drunk as an arson case and we are rebuilding our new giftshop. Our construction crew does not run around the clock so evenings and bedtime is quiet. This has not been a problem for our guests this summer as most everyone who rent the motel is out and about during the day.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We discovered Smoke Hole Resort by attending the Sportsman's Show in Harrisbug, PA in February of 2011. Friends of ours also recommended the resort. We arrived a little early on a Sunday, and although check-in time is 4 p.m., the owner graciously allowed my children to swim in the pool until our cabin was ready. When our cabin was available, I walked into a beautiful and very well-maintained cabin. The air-conditioning unit served us well (it was very hot the week we stayed) and it was not a problem for us to keep our door open so the air could circulate. My children loved the pool and we had to drag them out nearly every night at dark. The scenery is beautiful and we also enjoyed the horses that seemed to escape from their yard every night. (Apparently this is a very common occurrence and the horses go back to their barn when they are done grazing on all of the tender grass) We had no issues with noise, no communication problems, no billing problems, no problems at all. In fact, when we arrived, it felt like we were coming home to see some relatives we haven't seen for a long time. Everyone was very nice and we even met a great family who happened to have children the same ages as my own. My kids loved it and my husband and I loved it! This is a wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: I stayed in Cabin 9, which was very nice. Very close to the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

We are delighted to have your response posted here on trip advisor. We are trying to push our customers to write the reviews and their comments as you have. We realize it takes a little time but we have a hard time getting you guys to do it. I invite many of you to read the great comments our guest leave on the comment cards in the cabins and motel. Our number one comment is our cleanliness and our friendly our staff is. It is true we try to treat our guests as family and seems to be unusual these days and when people pull up to register they don't really expect the resort to have a real family check you in. We look forward to your return and pass the word around. Maybe you can come back this fall when the leaves change their color it is beautiful here. The scenery will speak for itself.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We saw this resort on a trip to West Virginia to see Seneca Rock around the 1st of July, they were booked so we could not stay that weekend but the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and called and found us a room at another local motel.
We went back last weekend to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary and stayed in one of the Honeymoon cabins. They are awesome!! They are clean, private, and have everything you need for a romantic weekend away.
Also, while we were there we enjoyed feeding the trout and took advantage of the catch and keep pond. The outfitter Josh and his wife were very nice and helpful. They both went out of their way to make the experience fun and enjoyable.
Everyone there went out of their way to accommodate us, my husband wanted a piece of fudge he had seen in the gift shop earlier in the day and asked me if I minded running across the way to grab it for him. Well, the store was closed but the owner was watering her flowers and opened the shop back up and sold me the fudge my husband wanted.
We have been so impressed with the Smoke Hole Resort that we have booked again this weekend coming up to go back with the whole family.
Great place, friendly people, highly recommend!!! :-)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple