My husband and I had booked a room at the log motel just to save a little money, rather than spending the extra $50 per night for the cabins. We arrived and were very upset to find that there was construction right next to the log motel, which we were not informed of when making the reservation. So my husband paid the difference and we got a honeymoon cabin so we would not be bothered with loud construction all weekend. The first night at the resort was awful, we stayed in the last cabin #27, which was right next to a bunch of loud obnoxious hound dogs that howled all night and kept us awake. So the next morning I went to the office and the lady working the front desk was very nice and immediately moved us to the other side of the resort, which was a lot nicer. The resort is beautiful and very well kept. Very nice large pool, the cabins are great, my husband and I enjoyed walking the grounds and feeding the trout. Although if you want to fish their pond, which is very tempting with the very large trout, be ready to pay out a nice chunk of change. They charge you to keep them and also if you throw them back. My husband and I love fishing but we were not paying a bunch of money to do so. So if you want to fish for practically nothing just walk out back to the potomac river or go to one of the local lakes. All in all it was a nice gateway, just wished we were forewarned about the construction and dogs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our resort property starts out with Smoke Hole Caverns, the brand new gift shop, the main office, and our log motel being located on the same property. As you travel 2 miles north you will see separated the Smoke Hole Log Cabin Resort area and the Smoke Hole Cottage area. Both groups of cabins our located on their private properties and offer a simply gorgeous rural retreat to the Appalachian Mountains. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Smoke Hole Caverns & Log Cabin Hotel Seneca Rocks
- Smoke Hole Caverns And Log Cabin Resort
- Smoke Hole Family Log Hotel
- Smoke Hole Family Log Motel