“Comfortable Mountain Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Cabins B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Comfortable Mountain Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

If you're looking for a secluded picturesque mountain getaway that doesn't require you to kill your meal or sacrifice comfort; this is it!

Ed and Carol have made an oasis for burnt-out Washington DC workers in the rugged mountains of West Virginia. We couldn't have asked for a better way to ring in the new year than with mountain views, a six-course wine-dinner pairing, champagne, and conversations around a crackling fireplace. We stayed in the Eagle's Nest; a second floor room with vaulted ceilings, an 8-point buck above the mantle, and a private balcony facing the mountains. Although remote, the inn is relatively close (30-45minutes) to many regional parks and attractions (e.g., Seneca Rocks/Caverns, Smoke Hole Caverns, Snow Shoe, etc.).

Part of me wants to keep this place a secret to avoid hoards of high-strung DC folk from descending upon the inn; however, I couldn't forgive my selfishness if I didn't give Ed and Carol their due. Thank you guys for the great start to 2012!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms for the views; cabin or suites for privacy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ellicott City, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

My wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary at the North Fork Mountain Inn and were not disappointed. Ed and Carol Fischer were so friendly and treated us like we were friends for years. We stayed at the Monongahela Suite which was a beautiful log cabin away from the main inn. Gas fireplace, flat screen TV with DirecTV, gorgeous bedroom and loft too! We signed up for the fine dining option and were very impressed. We had a wine tasting of 5-6 wines and Ed walked us through it. Appetizer of Southwestern Pork Green Chili, main course of lemon garlic chicken with zucchini, and Kentucky Derby pie for desert. Everything was delicious. Breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, fruit, croissant french toast, and bacon. Tremendous way to start the day. We then did a 4 mile hike and had the mountain all to ourselves. Great views too once we got to the top. I also have to mention the delicious cookies that Carol makes too! The only disappointment is that we stayed only one night. I would stay at least 2-3 nights next time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

We experienced a great weekend at the Inn. The setting was amazing with great mountain views from the porch and our room. We stayed in one of the suites. Carol and Ed were very friendly and accommodating hosts.

One of the most spectacular moments of the weekend was my massage. The therapist was one of the best I've ever had and I've had a lot of massages over the years at a lot of boutique spas. I was really pleasantly surprised.

We went to Seneca Rocks and hiked the mile and a half to the top. It was a great hike and lovely vista, especially if you scramble up the rocks at the very top that you're not supposed to. After lunch nearby, we went to Spruce Knob, the highest elevation point in W.VA and drove to the top. The observation deck here was only 900 feet from the parking lot, and it was a spectacular view looking down at all the mountaintops below.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite and it was very nice, but the bathroom was not in a separate room - it was a pa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mt. Jackson, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is my second review of the property. I stayed here on business again recently and returned to find it having been recently reviewed in the Washington Post Travel section. Here is the link to the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/bed-check-mountain-dreamin-in-w-va/2011/09/02/gIQAx58jFK_story.html As the previous reviews indicate it is "off the main road" but once you get to the property you will forget about that drive and see what a beautiful location it really is. Waking up in the morning and seeing the fog rise out of the valley and sitting out on the porch with a coffee watching the hummingbirds is a great precursor to a wonderful day. Bring your favorite bottle of wine and one for the owner as well as he is a master sommelier and has some great recommendations. Food was great and of course they had the daily cookies.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed here in December 2010 and had a lovely stay!
Pros: Very clean, pretty, comfortable rooms decorated in a country style. Beautiful scenery--the inn is a relatively new log building set halfway up a wooded hillside. Friendly, helpful hosts. Fresh baked cookies daily. Near to all kinds of great outdoor activities. The best food you're going to find w/in 50 miles. Seriously.
Cons: None. (This isn't the place to stay if you're looking for urban culture and fancy shopping and such. But then if you're looking at this you probably know that.)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Allons, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We enjoyed the cleanliness of the Inn. It was nice to sit on the front porch and look at the view. When we arrived we were given a tour of the Inn which was very nice. Please note that the Inn is way off the 'main' road. 7.5 miles of curves through the woods. The drive up to the Inn was hard to navigate as there were ruts we had to straddle as we went up a steep hill. The bed in our room was very firm, the water in the shower alternated between hot and cold, and the temperature from the AC cannot be controlled from the individual room. I had to close the vents for us to be able to sleep.
We ate there two breakfasts and two dinners. The breakfast was what we expected from a B & B. The non-gourmet dinner on Friday($25) was better than the Gourmet dinner($40) and wine tasting on Saturday. In fact, I was basically very disappointed in the Gourmet dinner. I did not feel we received any higher quality than the regular dinner. The wine tasting was swallows of 4 different whites and 1 red. The meal was advertised as wine tasting and dinner. I was very surprised when we received our bill at check out to see 4 glasses of wine at $7.50 per glass added. I thought the wine was included in the gourmet dinner. The meal was definitely not worth $70. It would be nice to have a sign or notice displayed advising of the cost of ordering wine.
The best part of the stay, being with family, and experiencing some amazing conversation with the people we were seated with at the meals.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TennesseeReiki
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

My partner and I decided on a weekend escape to West Virginia (from the DC suburbs). We read about this Inn in the Washingtonian and decided to give it a shot - we're so happy we did, and we are already planning to return in the fall.

An easy 2.5-3 hour drive gets you to the North Fork Mountain Inn, where you are greeted with a pristine view and the most delicious cookies I've ever eaten. We stayed for two nights, and in between hiking the Via Ferrata (HIGHLY recommended) and doing a zipline canopy tour we spent a lot of time relaxing on the deck of the Inn and enjoying the view. We also really enjoyed watching all of the wildlife, from the deer to the hummingbirds, it was better than any TV show.

An unexpected highlight were the massages - we each got one, and the massage therapist the Inn works with is incredible. I've been to some "fancy schmancy" spas in the city and this guy was a miracle worker. It was the best massage I've ever received, and I'm a tough critic. He has a background in medical massage therapy so he's great at finding and working out knots and otherwise tender muscles. A perfect way to end a weekend filled with climbing and hiking.

Also, you can hike the North Fork Mountain trail right from the Inn - can't beat it.

Even if it had rained we wouldn't have minded just relaxing at the Inn with some hot cider and board games. They have a fridge and microwave for guests to use if you feel like bringing some of your own food. There are complimentary sodas as well, which is a convenient perk.

Honest, tiny con: The noise does carry a bit. We slept soundly both nights but you can hear your upstairs neighbors' footsteps, and your next door neighbors' voices if they're talking a little loud. Clearly it's not that big of a deal because we're coming back, but it's the only thing that could possibly be improved upon.

Pro/Con: You're in the middle of nowhere. I love it, but be advised you probably want to eat at the Inn if you don't bring your own food because it's 20 minutes to the main road and when I say "main road" I use it lightly ;)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabins
Canaan Valley Resort
Lost River Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Lost River
Lost Forest Bed & Breakfast
Windwood Fly-in Resort

Been to North Fork Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!