“What a place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabins
Harman's Luxury Log Cabins
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is my second trip back to Harman's in the past year. Beautiful cabins right on the stream. Fishing is very good along the property, the staff are great to deal with. The cabins have everything you need (except for food of course). There are also attractions/sites to visit not far from the cabins. The scenery is wonderful and it's very relaxing!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
wvl0gcabins, Front Office Manager at Harman's Luxury Log Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2017

Thanks for posting your review. Our staff does a great job welcoming our guests and they want your stay to be as enjoyable as possible. We hope you visit Harman's real soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed in cabin #3 Aug. 17th and 18th. It was me, my husband and my 6 year old daughter. We went fully expected to tub down the river, but guess what, the river is all dried up! No water or rapids. We did have a hole of water in front of our cabin, but no current, so we floated on it anyway, but not at all as they advertise! I understand they cannot control the water, but we specifically asked for a cabin next to the water so we could tub down to it and not a word was mentioned about the water being dried up. We took a hike, to the big hole, swimming, seclusion, sand beaches, guess what a puddle of water and that was it. We walked across the water on rocks. As we were sitting on the rocks I thought I saw our car a little down the rock bed and sure enough there it was! We hiked all that way and we could have just walked across the rocks!! On the upside the cabin was really nice and we did have a hot tub. It would not go above 95 degrees. We had a beautiful view. Also the noise, we had a camp fire and the road that runs behind the cabin is very noisy, dogs barked like crazy across the road, and the cabins are not secluded like they make you believe, they are about 20 feet apart and hardly any trees around them. I was really disappointed and will never return! A lot of money to spend to sit in a cabin! If you are a die hard hiker and just want a place to lay your head this is the place for you, but not if you have small children to entertain. At least not in August.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kmta34
wvl0gcabins, Owner at Harman's Luxury Log Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Customer Comment: The cabins are not secluded like they make you believe, they are about 20 feet apart and hardly any trees around them
** Response.. Our 18 cabins on the main property are scattered along 1 1/2 miles of riverfront property. We do not use the word secluded to describe our cabins, even though, some of them are secluded. In general you can see cabins from cabins. The statement they are 20 feet apart is false. The statement hardly any trees around them is false. We've actively been planting trees for years at the property.

"not a word was mentioned about the water being dried up. We took a hike, to the big hole, swimming, seclusion, sand beaches, guess what a puddle of water and that was it. We walked across the water on rocks. As we were sitting on the rocks"

This is the whole of water at cabin #3. It can never be described as a dry or not full of water. It is the main swimming whole for the front of the property.

** This customer is commenting about "the third big hole". Its the only hole we describe as swimming, seclusion and sandy beaches. The clearly did not hike to the correct location. This water hole is 300 ft by 200 ft with 30 ft cliffs.

The third big hole is very similiar to the water hole linked above. It is very large with huge cliff rocks on one side of the river, and sandy beaches on the other side. It is very secluded.

General Response; Our water levels can run from 8000cubic feet per second at 11FT to 60cubic feet per second at 4.1ft. This reservation was made weeks before the say, and the water level can rise in 1 day or fall in 3 days. So we cannot give guidance, or guesses on water levels. It is just not possible. Even when the water levels are at their lowest (typically last two weeks of august), Harman's has 3 big holes of water people can swim or inter tube. At our main property in front of cabin #3, at cabin #13, and at the 3rd big hole. In my 46 years of life, I've never seen these holes in a state that could be described as puddles or anything but full of water. During low water, the water may not be moving so "tubing down the river" is not possible, but tubing at the river or floating on a tube at the river is always possible.

Families and Kids have been our "core business for 73 years'. Often, we have 5th generation children at the property. Our occupancy levels during summer kids vacation season June, July and August can reach 95%.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband and I booked #7 for 5 days - we hiked all day at Dolly Sods, Spruce Knob, North Fork Mtn, Black Water Falls & the property - perfect to come back to a A/C, Shower, Hot Tub and a Real Bed {and TV for hubby}. We booked a "2" bedroom since the 2 bedroom had a W/D and we were traveling several days before / after our stay - plus I wanted the Hot Tub on the Screen Porch.

We were very prepared for NO CELL service - but I knew we were supposed to have wireless internet, so no worries - I originally had planned to work a few hrs a day - but thankfully, I managed to complete all necessary work prior to leaving on vacation - I was concerned w/ internet connection and did not want issues w/ payroll deep in WV.

We also knew there was no restaurants near by - so we brought our "must have brand" grocery items and picked up cook in items as needed. I also knew we did NOT have a landline phone in our cabin and gave family main number for emergencies -

Pros:
Inside Cabin Very Clean & comfortable for 2 adults
Kitchen cookware / utensils - though sparse was of good quality {older, but not flimsy alum.} - knives need sharpening and steak knives would be a plus
Quiet, Quiet, Quiet & NO street lights shining in windows {please do not put in flood lights}
Hot Tub on Screen Porch afforded a little extra privacy
Plenty of Hot Water {2 adults} and Pressure was good
Staff helpful/courteous, {expected a UPS package and staff delivered to my cabin}
Information Book was great, but needs updating / proof-reading -
Satellite TV {for husband, me I could have done w/o}.
Nice size kitchen - you could have two cooks at one time
Dishwasher {though loud} is a big plus
Cons:
Expected a River View & private {or at least semi-private} access from our cabin, but I understand trees along bank are needed for erosion - but guests in newer cabins from other side of river parked in grass directly in front of our cabin to access the river.
2nd bedroom would have been a problem if we had additional guests - "room" was really just a "walled off" space w/ 9ft permanent partition that did not reach ceiling - any activity in the house could/would be heard.
AC unit {one in cabin} worked great BUT - Master Bedroom was stuffy unless you froze the rest of the cabin and forget about shutting the door - no cool would reach {or heat I assume, since I did not see baseboard heaters anywhere but bathroom} -
Wireless internet connection unreliable - no router in our cabin, had to connect to cabin #9 and only w/ 1 "bar" - continually kicked off after 8AM and could not reconnect until after 8PM {I did not mention to staff, since all but one day, we were completely away from cabin}
Screen porch not clean, cig butts on screen ledge, pistachio shells, spider webs, screen on bottom of door 1/2 ripped out
Dog Poo piles {2} even though they have strict NO PET policy - and yes, it was Dog Poo - not another forest creature.
Musty / Mold smell if AC shut off

Quirks:
DIY job - most obvious were electrical switches in weird locations and unside down - not sure interior flood lights were the best choice for bedroom {shines directly in eyes while in bed} or for living room {shines directly in eyes of person sitting in single chair facing TV}.

Could use a bit of updating, especially in bathroom, but overall, very functional.

Value is always a personal perception - I specifically chose Harman's due to location, reviews & stand alone cabins. I chose cabin #7 due to our preferences {W/D, Wireless Internet, TV, Hot Tub} and availability.

Would I have liked to pay less, of course... Do I feel the cost was unreasonable, no...

Would I recommend to friends - depends on the friends and their expectations, I would not call it Luxury, but in this area of WV - it is, and I appreciate the efforts of the Harman family in providing a family oriented, quiet, well run establishment.

They currently have 19 cabins {I believe}, I hope they keep it small and do not expand much more - we were in the "older" section, the cabins over the river were much newer and probably the majority of my "cons" are not an issue over there.

You are in the woods, there will be insects, mice, snakes, etc.... bring bug spray, be glad there are mouse traps under sink and use common sense w/ other wildlife - isn't this what you came here for?

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chateaubell
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Dont let the outside full you. Yes it appears beautiful. On my vacation there the bugs were terrible. My husband and I couldnt take a walk outside because of the the gnats. (We have camped at many camp grounds and bug have never been an issue.) The inside of the cabin was even worse. Dirt hung from the ceiling fan. The counter looked like it had not been wiped down. Hair was in the jacuzzi tub. But that was nothing compared to the roaches. Yes thats right roaches. We told a man that worked there and all he said was "really we will look into that." Goes without saying my husband and I did not stay we left early. Hopefully they did look into it and have cleared up the problem but no matter to me I will never return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwoltmon
wvl0gcabins, Owner at Harman's Luxury Log Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2011

*** Our property is beautiful no one can question this after a trip to Harman's. We've been in business 72 years. Our return/referral business is over 60% and occupancies during the summer and weekend is 97%.

Our response to your comments follow: On my vacation there the bugs were terrible. My husband and I couldn't take a walk outside because of the the gnats. -

***On occasions there are more bugs than some customer's are accustomed to. These are typically only during high humidity and for an hour or so. This is not a problem for days or weeks. Your cabin is 100 feet from the trout stream, expect some bugs.

***Our cleaning staff is awesome. Our cabins are very clean. On occasions we miss something, and the customer is supposed to to contact the office immediately. If we missed any one of these three items, we would send staff back to clean the whole cabin.

But that was nothing compared to the roaches. Yes that's right roaches. We told a man that worked there and all he said was "really we will look into that."

**Roaches? We've been doing this for 72 years. We do not have roaches. If a roach is found in a cabin, the customer has inadvertently carried it into the cabin via a 'box' or 'supplies'. Wood roaches do exist "outside", but not in cabins. On occasions we have "mice" and "ants", "flys" and "bugs" all of these are part of nature experience. We get ride of them by the quickest means possible. As an example, if someone notices a mouse, we set traps/decon and wipe down all counters/clean the cabin for the customer. It may take a day to 'kill' the mouse.

** This booking occurred over the July 4th weekend. The cabin was immediately re-booked. The customers that followed had no complaints. This cabin was booked 30 of 31 days in the month of July.

***The only reasonable complaint is our staff saying "we will look into it". My guess is the staff heard this customer's complaints about gnats and dismissed other complaints. I will speak to my office staff.

***Our initial check shows no complaints from this customer in the records. If they had visited the office at anytime, we would have checked the cabins cleanliness.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

My friends and I rented a cabin here back in May. We stayed in cabin 3 which had 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a living room and kitchen. Upon arrival we had to go across the street which is where the main office is located. Check in was a breeze. As we entered the cabin it did smell on the musty side and the AC was not on so it was a bit warm in there. We tried turning on the AC and it wasn't working. The windows were open in the cabin so we just allowed for the fresh air to come in. Problem is, it started getting warmer and more muggy by night fall. We tried everything to start the AC. Nothing. We had to eventually call the emergency number to have someone come fix it because the office closed at 7pm. I really wasn't to happy about that. I would think it would at least be open until 11pm. By this time it was very warm and uncomfortable in the cabin. The good thing is they responded promptly and fixed the issue. As for the cabin itself, yes the couches could have been updated or cleaned. They did have stains on them. Some pretty large. Other then that the rest of the cabin was quite clean. Floors and carpet were immaculate as was the kitchen and bedrooms. The bathroom was well stocked with towels and toilet tissue. We never ran out. Bedding was clean and comfortable. Pillows were soft. The kitchen was pretty well stocked. The only thing missing was paper towels which they should provide and sugar. We had salt and pepper. We had plenty of dishwashing soap and dishwasher refills. Plenty of dishes, glasses, utensils, pots, pans, ect. Everything was clean and new. We did have to buy plastic cups for the bathroom though. The only thing provided in the bathroom was a bar of soap. Nothing else. All in all the cabin was pretty clean and the decor was charming. The upstairs loft was large and roomy. It had a king sized bed, jacuzzi, sink, and water closet. The ceiling is sloped and you have to be careful not to hit your head like I did in the middle of the night. The cabin also had a narrow, spiral staircase which could be tricky to climb or descend in the dark. Either was it was very charming. Also, after we had the AC running for a while the musty smell did go away and the cabin smelled cleaner. Now the pros and cons of this place. The pros: First of all the views are magnificent! Nature at its best! We even got to see a Bald Eagle! The river is so clean you can see the bottom. We even got to walk over the bridge and see the other cabins in the back of the property. There are plenty of nature trails as well. The property itself is large and well maintained. And now the cons: There is NO cell phone service. This kinda freaked me out because we didn't have a phone in our cabin either! I mean what if we had gotten emergency calls from home??! If we had had a phone in the cabin I wouldn't have panicked as much. You actually have to drive about 12 miles out of town in Petersburg to get cell phone service. Crazy! Also, don't expect a ton of restaurants either. This is a very rural area. The closest places to eat are in Petersburg and they are all fast food! Places like Arby's, Subway, Dairy Queen, and McDonalds. Thats pretty much it folks! We did find a small super market in Petersburg as well. We were able to get stuff here for the cabin as well as food to barbecue which we did a few times. I would recommend bringing food and freezing it or just barbecuing the whole time. There was a Walmart and a steak/buffet place called the Ponderosa about 30 to 40 minutes away which we did visit. Other then that not much. There are some things to do around the area like visiting Seneca Caverns, Dolly Sods, horseback riding, hiking, ect.
As for the cabin, the only problems we had were the broken AC the outdoor jacuzzi (which wasn't working properly). It was way to hot and the maintenance guy had to come everyday and dump cool water in it. And of course we had some little mice visitors which is expected of course in the great outdoors! We had to have traps put down because they were going after our doughnuts LOL! All in all this place was very nice and I'd probably return in the future. Just make sure your a real nature, outdoorsy type person who enjoys extreme rural conditions. Don't expect to do a lot of stuff here. Its mostly for relaxation and to enjoy nature at its best : )

Room Tip: The cabins in the front offer spectacular views!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed in cabin 3, which had a spectacular view of the river and rock formation. By far, one of the best spots for scenery. The cabin was roomy for six of us, but the furniture and curtains were really in need of replacement. I sat on a wooden chair all weekend because the upholstered furniture looked too disgusting. I would go back in a heartbeat if the furnishings were replaced and the place steam-cleaned. Couldn't connect to the wireless internet.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pickytraveler53

*** We absolutely agree with this comment about the furniture. We've been replacing all of our upholstered furniture. Cabin #3 and #2 were the last ones replace (july 15 2011) We are replacing other cabins. Our goal is to have all cabins with leather furniture. 80% of the cabins have leather. We will not purchase any upholstered furniture in the future, because no amount of cleaning will make them appear to be clean. Our furniture is steam cleaned during our off season. And wipe down during our busy season.

*** We will look into curtains. I know we are replacing curtains in cabins every year.

*** Unsure why internet did not work? Cabins with phones have internet in the cabin. If the cabin does not have a phone, you must connect to an adjoining cabin wifi or go to our office.

*** Please contact the office for a 10% discount on your next visit.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Our 31st wedding anniversary guidelines were: privacy, wi-fi, scenery, hot tub, ability to cook, relaxing, access to hiking, nature, serenity. The cottages filled the bill and more. We LOVED the cabin (#4) we stayed in. From opening the door and hearing one of our favorite songs (nice touch) to the nice little extras such as ice cubes all ready. Comfortable bed, great surroundings, perfect weather, close to all WV activities.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit at our section of Heaven on Earth in Wild & Wonderful West Virginia. We hope you visit with us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabins
Canaan Valley Resort
15 mi away
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge
Lost Forest Bed & Breakfast
Breath of Heaven Bed and Breakfast

Been to Harman's Luxury Log Cabins? Share your experiences!