“Get the Calzone!”

Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Gainesville, Florida
“Get the Calzone!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

No frills kind of place. I had the ham and cheese calzone and it was amazing. I had the small calzone thinking it would be enough for a late lunch for just one person. I was wrong - it was easily enough for two. But I took it home and it was still good leftover for a day. I've dined here twice so far and both dishes I've ordered were very good and enough to take for leftovers. The only thing that kind of bugs me is that their sandwiches can be ordered as a "combo" with fries and to get fries with the meal you need to order a side of them. Portobello's is the type of place where people would want both as a lunch meal, but that's just me. The tea isn't that great either. It doesn't taste freshly brewed which is a bit of a shame in the south. Get a coke. But really it's a great local place, which Bluefield desperately needs. Dine here before driving to Princeton for a chain restaurant.

But really... get the ham and cheese calzone small, it's delicious.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Tampatraveler926

Bluefield, West Virginia
“Huge amounts of food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I'm not saying quantity over quality is the major deciding factor here, but they do give you a large amount of food for the money. The food was pretty good and the service was acceptable. Worth a visit if you're in the mood for an southern twist on italian food. I think it would be easy for people to share one dish, no problem.

• Visited May 2014
Princeton, West Virginia
“Great local joint!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a great meal here while out celebrating our 2 year anniversary. We dined on a Sunday evening, no crowd. The place is small, but roomy at the same time. Our server was attentive, our food was brought out after minimal wait time, and tasted excellent. The portions are large but you indeed get what you pay for. We had fried mushrooms and the tour of Italy (manicotti, lasagna, ravioli, and spaghetti all on one plate). The mushrooms were tender though the breading was a little crunchy. The entree included a tomato sauce that was used in each dish, which kind of gave the whole plate a similar taste. Would have loved it to have been a sampler type plate with each pasta in its own small dish. Also, a meat filled ravioli alongside cheese ravioli would be amazing.
My biggest compaints (and they really aren't even that) would be that the ventilation system for the kitchen area could be improved and the booth benches have more padding at the edge of the bench. The grease and oil haze, coming from the kitchen as food is prepared, lingers in the air giving the place a smokey look that also burned my eyes some. The benches are set far from the tables at the boothes, which is nice for large people, but makes for a long stretch on a poorly cushioned seat.
Overall, we really enjoyed our first experience at Portabellas. We will be returning, and will seek out a table instead of a booth.

1 Thank bbdrj
Oakwood, Virginia, United States
“Terrific”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

Portabella's is a city restaurant in a small town, They are very busy during the evening and weekend hours, so we have found going mid- afternoon is the best. Service is good. The food is terrific. If you go please try the garlic knots with cheese- mmm mmm good. I had the Lasagna and my adult children's favorites is the Chicken Alfredo. Portions are large enough that 2 people can share 1 entree- we order and eat 1/2 there and take 1/2 with us for later. Prices are very good for the quality and amount of food that is served. Should you arrive during their busiest time- it is well worth the wait.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sandra H
Atlanta, Georgia
“More than average for Bluefield”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Located downtown in a city known for bad examples of chain restaurants this is a locally owned and operated find. The décor is basic old building made into a restaurant and the service is helpful and quick but not polished. The find is the food which was really good in terms of the entre and just ok on the salad which came along with delicious garlic bread with the meal. My angel hair pasta in homemade pesto with shrimp was everything I could have wished for. In fact the portion could have easily served two and a child! Pricing is modest and the restaurant was busy on a Tuesday evening. Parking is in a gravel lot but convenient.

• Visited May 2014