“Crushed all our dreams” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Columbus, Ohio
“Crushed all our dreams”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

We spent time looking up where to eat on our way home from NC. We were so excited to visit Key Ingredients and made a detour specifically for it. Their Facebook said they were open and when we got there, there were, not one, but TWO signs saying it was open. Starving, we dragged ourselves up the front steps only to find an unwelcoming locked door and no one there. Everything was a lie! Worst restaurant ever! Never coming back to this god-forsaken Bluefield ever again!

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Cbuseater

Columbia Falls, Montana, United States
“Surprise, surprise in Bluefield!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had not been to Bluefield for over forty years and knew that finding a really good restaurant with good food and decent wine might be a challenge. It was! The manager of my hotel suggested this place because it was not a chain. In checking restaurants on my GPS, this was actually the only restaurant that came up that wasn't fast food or mediocre chain food so he was correct. As important was that Key Ingredients is located in a not so bad area of town. Bluefield proper has really suffered over the years and I didn't want to be anywhere near downtown.

The food: I would have rated Key Ingredients Excellent except for a couple of items. The had only Kale as a green vegetable, no Broccoli or Asparagus to be had. They had no baked potatoes either and only mashed potatoes or baked sweet potato. Fortunately, I found the Kale very good, and it complimented the Filet I ordered very well. I was not crazy about ordering mashed potatoes as my diet does not allow for them but did anyway and they were excellent. The Filet came butterflied which I was not aware of but it was cooked well and was very tender.

I was pleasantly surprised by the wine. I did not recognize the labels on the menu so I ordered the unusual; a Italian Pinot Noir. It turned out to be very tasty and red as a Pinot should be. I had two glasses.

All in all, It was an excellent meal, at a small town price, all told coming in at $32.00 plus tip. I would recommend Key Ingredients to anyone who visits Bluefield and wants above average home cooking and pretty good wine.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, WV
“Poor food in a restaurant that shows little care”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I saw the good reviews of this place and we turned around eager to try it as we spotted it as we drove by. We were there mid-afternoon for lunch.

It was hard to spot as the sign was just about covered in bushes so it could barely be seen. We should have known something was up as we went up to the porch as no one had taken care of the place with grass growing up and covering all the decorative plants that would have made this a lovely place. We seated our self at a table on the porch and waited--and waited. No one to greet us for almost ten minutes and then it was a quick "I be with you in a minute."

When the waitress arrived, we asked about a few of the menu items and we were assured that the food was amazing. The first two items we wanted were not available that day. I decided to have the lump crab cake sandwich while my wife had a shrimp wrap. We waited a good while for lunch and had time to look over the place. The porch was lined with 17 ferns in hanging baskets. Someone needed to care for the plants--not only were they dying from lack of water, the wires on a number of them had snapped and the plants were hanging sideway ready to fall. Tables with un-ironed white tablecloths sideways and falling to the floor. Just a general lack of care it seemed.

The food arrived and we started with the sweet potato fries which were warm and very fine though we aren't used to seeing pepper on them. Ketchup was provided though I don't know of anyone that uses it with sweet potato fries. My crab cake was served on bread with a slice of tomato. It was poor and pretty fishy tasting and we wondered when it was made. No discernible lumps of crab meat. The shrimp wrap had shrimp that were flavorless and so chewy that they had to have been prepared much earlier and reheated. The rest of the wrap was filled with a tasteless blend of vegetables and the whole thing sat is a greasy pool of some yellow liquid. We both judged it to be inedible. The wrap was taken off the bill. Total cost for a crab cake, two drinks and fries was a little under $20

We really wanted to like this place but in the end, we had a much better experience when we stopped at the Dairy Queen down the road.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hodag21378
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
“Not worth the expense”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We felt that the restaurant was very over priced for the quality of the food we received. The lettuce was iceberg and the steaks were very overcooked; we ordered medium/well. The baked sweet potato was, however, delicious. The atmosphere definitely needs improving. Very disappointed as the restaurant was highly recommended. Hopefully, we just went on an "off" night.

Visited June 2013
Bluefield, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Atmosphere is quaint and fun.It reminded me of an older style dining experience because it is in an older house that has been minimally renovated. Food was very delicious.

Visited March 2013