“We did not feel welcome there”
Review of Tari's Cafe

Tari's Cafe
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Exquisite cuisine, with inventive recipes served i an upscale casual environment, browse local art while dining in the Gallery setting.
Reviewed July 10, 2008

First, let me say that my husband and I used to LOVE eating at Tari's, and visiting the bar for a drink before heading back to our motel. Over the past five years we've probably frequented the establishment 10-15 times. We liked it so much that we chose to ignore the lipstick residue on the water glasses - a constant over repeated visits. The food was always good and the atmosphere great. We especially enjoyed the Thursday night Jam Nights with local artists.
HOWEVER,
last week's jam night might well have been the last time for us at Tari's. We had looked forward to jam night all week, and drove 2 hours after work to get there. We had made reservations in the bar section to be able to eat and listen to the music. I can honestly say that I have never been treated as rudely by another server - or another adult, for that matter - as we were treated by our waiter Mike. When I wasn't ready with my order when he asked he made a gruff noise and stomped off. Keep in mind it was a bit loud, since the live music was playing. When I was trying to clarify our order I was brusquesly dismissed with "yeah, yeah". When he brought us our bread he slammed it on the opposite end of the table without even looking at us. When he brought my husband his salad he didn't bring him the salad dressing. He clearly had no intention to provide professional, courteous service to us, and made that perfectly clear. We were indeed wondering what we had done to deserve such vile attitude and poor treatment, and the only thing we could come up with was that we had asked to be reseated to a different table, since our initial table was less than ideal. Big deal.
My husband then tried to grease the waiter's palm with a crisp $20 bill, which improved the mood from vile to just grumpy . I guess, the one good thing I can say about the server is that his affections can't be bought!!
In retrospect, we should have really gotten up and left the restaurant instead of staying. The waiter's behavior was totally unacceptable and disrespectful, and nearly ruined the evening.
My opinion of Tari's has been thoroughly sullied by the experience, and I am not sure I will ever go back there, or recommend the restaurant to anyone.

3  Thank Grimmels

Reviewed March 23, 2008

Stopped in a Tari's Cafe while in town to experience the mineral springs (first timers) in Mar 08. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Tari's. They had a very nice menu and the atmosphere was pleasant and comfortable. The waitstaff were very friendly but very busy (it was Saturday) so service was a little bit slow - understandably since it was so crowded. At no point did we feel neglected, however. I would highly recommend a lunch at Tari's and will certainly go back again when in town.

2  Thank TwoTravelersToG... A
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My husband and I had dinner for our anniversary at Tari's last night. We dined in the Gallery room, which is pretty much a dining room with art for sale on display. Very simple and nice. We ordered the cheddar artichoke jalepeno dip for appetizer- it was superb. The Snow Goose Winter Ale featured beer my husband had was awesome. The entrees were another story. I had the Pasta Chesapeake which was pretty average. In my opinion, it didnt have much flavor. My husband had a NY strip with horseradish bourbon sauce...the toughest steak he's ever had in his life. At first we thought it was the knife, so we asked for a sharper knife. It was the steak. The glasses on our table were shaking as he attempted to cut the steak. The waitress did take a portion of the bill of because of the steak and brought out a very thoughtful "Happy Anniversary" dessert on the house. The waitress was very attentive and excellent. The bill was $60 with the free dessert and some taken off for the steak. I am by no means a cheap skate and dine out quite frequently, but I would not call the dinner at Tari's a $60 meal. I may stop in for appetizers and drinks again, but certainly not for a meal.

2  Thank wheninroam05
Reviewed October 21, 2007

The menu was fairly eclectic and offers something for everyone. The service was timely and cordial and the food was excellent. Not to menion, the art gallery atmosphere offers plenty of eye candy while you enjoy your meal.

2  Thank naptown_r1ck
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We visited Tari's June 14th for lunch on a Thurday. It was quite crowded and definitely popular. The restaurant has an adjacent bar, which was busy. It has historic charm with contemporary decor. Refreshingly, our friendly server was aware of celiac needs, and was able to suggest items off the menu that could be prepared gluten free, and they were. The food and service were excellent. I will be visiting again.

2  Thank celiacwashdc