“Best Restaurant in the County”
Review of Tari's Cafe

Tari's Cafe
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Exquisite cuisine, with inventive recipes served i an upscale casual environment, browse local art while dining in the Gallery setting.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have eaten at Tari's so many times over the last 10 years in Berkeley Springs that I lost count.
However, each time brings a new tasting experience to the table as the menu changes with the seasons. Everything is prepared fresh and presented with fresh baked rolls, gourmet butter and the best wait staff in the state. I have never had one unpleasant or poor experience at Tari's. It is the one place I always take any of our visiting friends (and relatives) for lunch or dinner.
Reservations are not always required but should be made for dinner, especially on the weekends.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This little cafe has charm. The local art on the walls definitely gives the place an ecclectic feeling. The menu certainly reflects the decor.

The menu features items from fresh salads and soups to odd wraps and sandwhiches. My wife had the Jail Island Salmon Wrap and thought it was amazing. Fish, fresh greens, peppers, and cranberries all mixed in a wrap? Awesomely good.

I had the Flying Pig sandwhich. I'm a big fan of barbeque and this sandwhich was like a BBQ sampler. The sandwhich featured grilled chicken breast, pull pork, and bacon, all topped with a raspberry BBQ sauce. If you love BBQ, this sandwhich is a can't miss.

Tari's is also one of the few places in town that you can grab a drink. The bar is a bit quiet, but a great place to sample some local WV brews.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ate here for a light lunch on our first day in Berkeley Springs. The interior is a bit "country," and I was pleased to see so much local art on the walls! It was busy at noon (always a good sign), but we did not have trouble getting a table. Service was optimal and we were served with our food in less than five minutes!

I ordered the grown-up grilled cheese. Herbed ricotta, aged cheddar, mozzarella and "oven-cured" tomatoes on ciabatta definitely gave this old-hat sandwich style a sophisticated twist. It was probably a thousand calories (they don't skimp on the cheese) but I let that go since we were about to ride our bikes on the C&O Canal.

My boyfriend ordered the Jail Island Salmon Wrap which was *wow*. I tried a bite and will be ordering this next time we go back. What he liked most about it was that although the salmon itself was hot and fresh from the grill, the accompanying cranberries, walnuts, artisan greens and goat cheese were still cold and fresh.

Highly recommended for a casual gourmet meal!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Something was a little off about the whole experience.

Our drinks took too long to arrive, the lights kept flickering on and off in different parts of the bar and even the water we ordered was late in coming. After the soup and salad, it took another 45 minutes for the entrees to arrive. At the end, we even had to wait for the check.

Overall, the service was not great. Also, the floor in the bar shook if someone walked too heavily and the TV was showing an awful story about livestock abuse! Thankfully, the bartender switched the channel when requested to do so.

All of these things are minor, but when they happened on the same visit, they added up to an unpleasant experience!

I had egg plant parmisan with spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms. The egg plant part was delicious but some of the vegetables were very chewy. Mixed results for that. It came with a very basic salad, which was fine. The warm bread was excellent.

My dining companion had clam chowder. She remarked that it was very good, although smallish, with lots of vegetables and good flavor. She also had clams casino which was tough and chewy and not very good.

We have eaten here before and it was a more pleasant experience when the restaurant and bar were less busy.

One would expect better service for prices that are on the high end.

There are not many dining choices of this type in Berkeley and, regretfully, we will not be returning to Tari's anytime soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The food and service was very good. We went there for a birthday lunch and our food was delicious. The peanut butter pie is amazing!